Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Gear & Accessories > Garmin Edge 705 Goodness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 561 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Garmin Edge 705 Goodness

I finally got my Garmin Edge 705 Today. All I can say is WOW!!! This is what I should have bought to start with. It has the speed and cadence sensor and the heart rate strap.

I haven't been able to do much with it yet other than get it set up on the bike. I did get to set up the unit itself with my profile and the bike setup and was able to do a quick test on it to make sure all the sensors are reading as they should.

There is so many things I like about this device over the Polar CS200. Not the least of which is that the sensors transmit further, so I no longer have to move the speed sensor to the seat stay if I want mileage on the trainer. Which in turn, because of the limited transmission range (18", which they mean quite literally because I measured it), meant I had to move the head unit down to the top tube dang near the seat tube where of course I could not see it.

It also means I can get rid of my GPS app on the phone and its associated HRM. I had an HRM for the Polar cycle computer, a HRM for the RunKeeper phone app, I was building up quite the supply of HRM's. I was considering opening up a cardiovascular ward in my house.

I could in effect do without my cell phone now, but when I go out on long solo rides I like being able to send my position and speed to my wife in real time in case something happens using Glympse so I will continue to use that. However, its the only app I need to have on now and I can turn that on, set it and forget it as the infomercial goes.

I absolutely love Garmin Connect. It has a lot of features and seems to be very flexible. However, my favorite feature thus far of the Edge 705 is its Workout function. Good Lord, whoever thought of that should get a bonus check or two. I can set up Intervals on it, hop on the trainer and follow some cues and get an interval workout in. WOW! Just WOW! If that were not enough, you can set up other workouts based on time or distance, etc.

I am looking forward to getting out on the road and using this thing on a long ride. It is such an improvement over what I had.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Garmin Connect is okay ... but take a look at ridewithgps.com ... it accepts uploads from Garmin devices. I generally upload to both for now. I like the map shares of the RWGPS better.

and congrats. I have a 500 and love it.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6027 Times on 3420 Posts
Likes Given: 5468

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlharsch View Post
Garmin Connect is okay ... but take a look at ridewithgps.com ... it accepts uploads from Garmin devices. I generally upload to both for now. I like the map shares of the RWGPS better.

and congrats. I have a 500 and love it.
You can say it, Garmin Connect SUCKS...when compared to RWGPS and ST3- my favorite or even Strava.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
StormStrikes
Bikes

Whats the beef with Garmin Connect? It seems pretty decent to me.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormStrikes View Post
I finally got my Garmin Edge 705 Today. All I can say is WOW!!! This is what I should have bought to start with. It has the speed and cadence sensor and the heart rate strap.
We get new people asking about GPS all the time and I am a huge proponent of the Garmin. They buy cheap, and like you once they discover...well it's all over.
I've discovered I'm to poor to buy cheap, know what I mean?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormStrikes View Post
Whats the beef with Garmin Connect? It seems pretty decent to me.
Play with and see if you can get what you want out of it. No real beef but not as "flexible" as others and I can graph, plot etc. with other software/

Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
StormStrikes
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
We get new people asking about GPS all the time and I am a huge proponent of the Garmin. They buy cheap, and like you once they discover...well it's all over.

I've discovered I'm to poor to buy cheap, know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean. I was going to sell my Polar, but my wife said to keep it and she could use it on her bike when we get her one. She's not as interested in all the data that I am, she just wants to know how far she went, what speed, heart rate, stuff like that. But being the wonderful and glorious husband I am, I know I will probably be getting another Garmin at some point in the future.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
StormStrikes
Bikes

I guess my main thing is I want one place to manage my data. Thats what I hated about RunKeeper. I could track my bike rides, but had to manually post my cardio workouts then go to a third party app for strength training. When I was riding the bike, I had to have the cycle computer going with its HRM to get the data and my HR as it pertained to the cycle data, then another HRM to get the tracking/route data with my HR and piece it all together.

Neither of which were set up or capable of using intervals with.

I guess I will just give it a whirl for a bit and see how it works out but so far Garmin Connect looks pretty good. I can check my stats against others on the same route, compete against them and all that stuff. The problem with all of them, though, is that there are not enough people around here using any of them to make one better than the other.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
bikertank

Liked 408 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like my edge 500 - don't have the map feature i have a virtual map - my wife - otherwise I would always be lost - haven't got lost on the trainer though - glad you like it - I should try what Rola recommends but I am pretty happy with Garmin Connect also

Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I thought about getting the 800 for the mapping and slightly larger screen but figured I probably couldn't see it anyway and opted to simply go with the 500

I had problems reading the smaller numbers when I added too many items to a screen, but recently purchased a set of DualEyes sunglasses (glasses with a magnifier reader at the bottom) and now I can read the 500 screen easily with 5 items on each page. (I only need glasses for reading distances -- short arm syndrome)

Quick Reply