Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Gear & Accessories > Shoe covers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
rns61373
New to cycling

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts

Shoe covers

Which would be better and what is the difference between Toe covers and Shoe covers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 215 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Better is relative to your needs. Toe covers are for cold, but not severe temperature. They allow some foot ventilation which is good for moisture control, they can be put on & removed easily, and are compatible with a variety of cleats. Shoe covers are better at insulating the entire foot (and some styles ankle too). There are different types of shoe cover, some improve aerodynamics without providing effective thermal barriers. Belgian socks provide a small amount of insulation for foot and ankle without complete sealing. Other types of shoe covers are effective for both thermal and moisture protection. For cold, rain, or snow, neoprene is a material commonly used. The downside to neoprene and wind-stopper materials is moisture retention. While good for the short term, heat and moisture build up in the shoe can be detrimental.

I don't see extremely cold temperatures, so toe covers are used often, for low temps I use an extra sock with the toe & heel cut out (center retained as stirrup) just for ankle insulation, for very low temps, toe cover + light shoe cover+ ankle cover. For my environment modularity is important, so I can adjust for external and internal temperature changes. I can see an advantage to heavy shoe covers (booties) in extreme environments.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
rns61373
New to cycling

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts

Thank you... Extremely helpful information. Today I was riding with a wind chill in the low 30's.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1282 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

For temps in the 30s I usually wear slightly thicker socks and put electrical tape over the vents on the bottom of the shoes. Colder than that and I start thinking about shoe covers.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4961 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 10041

I have a pair of the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. WXB shoe covers and love them. they'll fit over mountain or road shoes and are the bee's knees when it comes to warmth.

This brings another caveat as previously mentioned, they will retain warmth and moisture so I've found myself wearing them in the morning and then taking them off for the ride home in the afternoon if it warms up.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Dos_Ruedas

Bikes

Liked 2377 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 125

This year, I finally purchased a pair of Specialized neoprene booties.
My feet do not get cold. However, they do retain moisture. I remove them and let the shoes dry well.
I love'em.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
stogies4life

Liked 105 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
I have a pair of the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. WXB shoe covers and love them. they'll fit over mountain or road shoes and are the bee's knees when it comes to warmth.

This brings another caveat as previously mentioned, they will retain warmth and moisture so I've found myself wearing them in the morning and then taking them off for the ride home in the afternoon if it warms up.

I just got a pair of these Saturday and used them for the first time Tuesday. Didn't notice the moisture issue since it was only in the 30's for the whole ride. But they did keep my feet warm, which is what matters the most to me!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
arevinotion

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

good idea, . Extremely helpful information. Today I was riding with a wind chill in the low 30's

Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 500 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Good input here. I've been looking into a way to keep my toes warm on low 30's rides. Good points about covers retaining moisture. I need something that will retain a little bit of warmth yet won't retain moisture.

Quick Reply