You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Gear & Accessories > Survey: Automatic Shifting Device

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
LoOg

Survey: Automatic Shifting Device

Hello. We are a team of students from Sidney, New York and have named ourselves the “The League of Ordinary Gentlemen.” We are working on our senior capstone project in the Project Lead the Way series of pre-engineering/technology courses under instructor Christine A. Smith. The Project Lead the Way program encourages teaching students using STEM education in middle and high schools. More information about Project Lead the Way can be found at their website, www.pltw.org. Our group is currently gathering research in the market in bicycles and electronic gear shifts. We are distributing a survey in hopes of finding accurate, justifiable data to supplement our project. A link to the survey is provided below. Thank you.

Devin Finch, Nathan Magnusnussen, Christopher Omahen, and Garrett Yacos

The League of Ordinary Gentlemen

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7QC9F2P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3585 Times on 2066 Posts
Likes Given: 3471

Do you have more capital and more engineering capacity than Shimano. Because they discovered that automatic electronic shifting is technology without a user base.

People Like This 
Old 12-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 956 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 14

if it doesn;t come on the bike from the factory, i am not going to change my current bikes over to an auto shifter.

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3585 Times on 2066 Posts
Likes Given: 3471

At Interbike a few years ago, I saw a shifter that shifts across the cogs and chainrings from a single shifter. It's been on the market for years now. Has anyone else seen one?

Didn't think so.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
seansimp925

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoOg View Post
Hello. We are a team of students from Sidney, New York and have named ourselves the “The League of Ordinary Gentlemen.” We are working on our senior capstone project in the Project Lead the Way series of pre-engineering/technology courses under instructor Christine A. Smith. The Project Lead the Way program encourages teaching students using STEM education in middle and high schools. More information about Project Lead the Way can be found at their website, www.pltw.org. Our group is currently gathering research in the market in bicycles and electronic gear shifts. We are distributing a survey in hopes of finding accurate, justifiable data to supplement our project. A link to the survey is provided below. Thank you.

Devin Finch, Nathan Magnusnussen, Christopher Omahen, and Garrett Yacos

The League of Ordinary Gentlemen

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7QC9F2P
Very cool that you're doing a bike-related through STEM. I don't think young people get exposed to enough "hands-on" learning opportunities and biking is definitely a cool subject to explore. I think I might be able to help you with some data and subject matter if you are interested. I don't know about everybody else here but I'd definitely be interested in seeing how your project unfolds.

Good luck!

Last edited by seansimp925; 01-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply