Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Gear & Accessories > Winter gear: Tights vs Leg Warmers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2417 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Winter gear: Tights vs Leg Warmers

I am looking to get some winter gear so I can ride in weather in the 40s. Basically I need to keep the air from chilling me until my body warms up. I have a warm jersey and may invest in a jacket, but I don't have any thing for my legs.

What are the pros or cons of tights against leg Warmers (that you wear with shorts)?

~~~There will be moments of chaos, keep pedaling~~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 217 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivox42 View Post
...I need to keep the air from chilling me until my body warms up...
Leg warmers can be removed when you "warm up"; tights you're stuck with, unless it is a tight that fits over all, but if it has stirrups and straps it still is inconvenient to remove. For our weather, toe covers and leg warmers most of the winter, and a light over-pant with zippered ankle closures for the very cold (at least as cold as it gets here).

A jacket is overkill; a base layer, summer weight long sleeve jersey, plus medium weight full length zipper jersey with wind blocker on the front and outer arms will serve you better the majority of the time. A wind blocker jersey can be rolled up and stowed in a jersey pocket; jackets are bulky.

Most body heat is lost through the head. Head covering will get you toasty quick.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5799 Times on 3320 Posts
Likes Given: 5358

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivox42 View Post
I am looking to get some winter gear so I can ride in weather in the 40s. Basically I need to keep the air from chilling me until my body warms up. I have a warm jersey and may invest in a jacket, but I don't have any thing for my legs.

What are the pros or cons of tights against leg Warmers (that you wear with shorts)?
You should try/have both.

@ 40* with any breeze at all I like thin insulated bibs. I wear UA base layer and a jersey with full fingered runners gloves.
Bontrager Race Thermal Bib Tight

I have thigh warmers but really don't care for them. They are from mid thigh to calf. PITA really but functional. Thought about regular leg warmers but if it's that cool the bibs are going on anyway.

I have a pair well insulated bibs as well but very rarely wear them.

I bought a Pearl Izumi P.R.O Thermal Jersey last year and never wore it...still has the tags on it
P.R.O. Thermal LS Jersey

I also like the UA skully bennie caps, nice fit under a helmet and stay in place well.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-coldgear-thermo-run-beanie/pid1233198-002

Last edited by rola643; 11-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5799 Times on 3320 Posts
Likes Given: 5358

For what it's worth
http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/winter-layering-done-right-how-dress-cycling-cold-weather

Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
ben

Bikes

Liked 891 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1592

For years I rode in the cold months wearing sweat pants over baggy mtb. shorts (yep, I'm a piney) Last year I finally broke down and bought a pair of Louis Garneau Liege bib tights and I am truly amazed at how warm a single layer of fabric can be. I have ridden in temps down below 40 and was still comfortable. Haven't tried leg warmers yet so I can't really compare.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Ross14

Liked 373 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 570

This topic really does not concern me since I live in SC. The winter is actually the time to ride as in the summer it is common to get above 100 degrees.

- 2011 Cannondale Caad 10 -
-2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc-

Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Good stuff guys. Thinking a out trying under armor long sleeve as a base layer to wear under my long jersey and the leg Warmers. Maybe toe covers but my feet don't get that cold nor do my hands. My legs get cold then the rest of me.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
mars_yeldir

Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 263

One thing about knee/leg warmers. They will keep your legs warm, but your arse is still in thin lycra. Usually not too big of a problem. I am finding that I like warmer gear in the winter. I used to ride in a short sleeve jersey and regular bibs at 45. One ride went too far. Ice on the trees and stuff. Rode in regular bibs and a short sleeve jersey with thermal underwear top under the jersey. Had this thin beanie on. Went down a long descent followed by the long climb to the top. When I got to the top I had frost patches on the beaner wherever there was a helmet vent. I invested in some winter gear after that. Xela is good at really detailing the pros and cons of clothing. Maybe he will offer his 2 cents.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Cold butt sounds not fun at all. Maybe I can find a good deal on tights and long sleeve base layer.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
mars_yeldir

Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 263

I got some knickers. Some Louis Garneau and some Capo for cheap on bonktown last year. I really like both of them. I can ride them in the low 60's down to the mid 40's. Calves get a little raw feeling at the lower temps. I switch over to heavy bibtights for upper thirties down into the 20's. Below 20 and I have a really tough time getting motivated to get out there. At that point you need a balaclava, a jacket, heavy gloves, insulated foot covers and the works. And then you have to not get sweaty. I enjoy it once I get out there, but that cold is...... well.... cold!

Quick Reply