You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Gear & Accessories >

Zackees Turn Signal Gloves Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
qmsdc15

Bikes

Liked 2966 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 4490

Yes to make the LEFT turn arrow point to the left you need to bend elbow 90 which is a signal for RIGHT turn. This could be confusing. I'd just extend my arm straight out, I think the light would attract the attention of the motorists and I don't think the fact that the arrow might be pointing up at that point would be misconstrued to mean I was continuing on straight or turning upwards towards the sky. Excellent write up but maybe a bit too long. I don't currently have a drop bar bike but I'm not convinced the contact buttons on the thumb area wouldn't become a problem on long rides with flat bars.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
Firelord777

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
Yes to make the LEFT turn arrow point to the left you need to bend elbow 90 which is a signal for RIGHT turn. This could be confusing. I'd just extend my arm straight out, I think the light would attract the attention of the motorists and I don't think the fact that the arrow might be pointing up at that point would be misconstrued to mean I was continuing on straight or turning upwards towards the sky. Excellent write up but maybe a bit too long. I don't currently have a drop bar bike but I'm not convinced the contact buttons on the thumb area wouldn't become a problem on long rides with flat bars.

Perhaps you may be right, regarding the contacts on other bar types. Looking back, I don't ride as much the other bikes as the road bike, and I may have possibly overlooked the potential for the issue to be applicable to other bars. I'll try them out again and report back.

Sorry to hear it was too long, usually I like to cover all aspects, but I'll try and make future reviews a tad shorter

qmsdc15 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
qmsdc15

Bikes

Liked 2966 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 4490

I appreciate the thorough review and the work that went into it. Thanks! I guess I just have a short attention span. As I said (with caps for emphasis) "EXCELLENT... but MAYBE a bit too long." It was a very minor gripe, please take with a grain of salt.
Industry_Hack Likes This 
Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
Firelord777

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
I appreciate the thorough review and the work that went into it. Thanks! I guess I just have a short attention span. As I said (with caps for emphasis) "EXCELLENT... but MAYBE a bit too long." It was a very minor gripe, please take with a grain of salt.

I understand now my friend, a very gracious reply!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
LarryM
Eocyclist

Bikes

Liked 619 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

Quote:
Yes to make the LEFT turn arrow point to the left you need to bend elbow 90 which is a signal for RIGHT turn. This could be confusing. I'd just extend my arm straight out, I think the light would attract the attention of the motorists and I don't think the fact that the arrow might be pointing up at that point would be misconstrued to mean I was continuing on straight or turning upwards towards the sky. ...[snip]...
+100
Using a commonly accepted right turn signal (left arm bent up 90 at elbow) to mean a left turn is a real bad idea. But I think the issue with the photos is more the cyclist using an unusual hand signal rather than a basic design flaw in the gloves.

Video on the Zackee web site shows a cyclist using pretty normal hand signals. And their FAQ suggests the user extend their arm in a more normal signal.
Quote:
Why did you decide to have the turn signal point at the pinky knuckle?

The US, Canada and Europe allow alternative signaling in which you extend your arm out in the direction that you intend to turn. This is how we recommend you use Zackees Turn Signal Gloves.

Furthermore, having the arrow position in our product allows you signal in front of you without having to take your hands off the handle bar.

Last edited by LarryM; 11-05-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: removesd word error from text
People Like This 
Old 08-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
mtesvelt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great concept, problem is the wire connection to the contacts fails after about 4-6 weeks of regular ridding. Would wait till the cable connection is more robust.
I have had three right hand gloves fail in less than 6 months. Now the left glove has failed and I would consider myself fairly gentle when removing the gloves.
qmsdc15 Likes This 
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 AM   #17
mtesvelt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice gloves, great concept and they are very bright at night. Pitty that the internal cables break after 4-6 weeks of regular use. Zackees have been good in replacing the faulty glove twice and I have sent them back for service/repair once. Been 8 months now and I have had about 4 months use because of failures.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
Marna_Kazmaier

Liked 1764 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou630 View Post
Neat looking gloves! I just wish the arrow pointed toward the fingers so when you put your arm out to signal the arrow point in the direction of turning instead of having to put hands behind you. But cool idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum
Exactly my thought!

Quick Reply