You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Industry News >

Icarus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
rushlake

Bikes

Liked 2605 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 4003

Icarus

Going to try to catch this on Netflix tonight.
http://www.icarus.film

File Type: jpg icarus.jpg (30.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by rushlake; 08-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2842 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 1577

oooo, I saw that this morning and wondered what it was before moving on.........now I will watch it one morning in my my time at work before clockin in.............

Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
fpl1

Liked 6541 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 3163

May have to watch that too

Old 08-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
bmohan55

Liked 1123 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 422

looks interesting.

1995 Bianchi Eros
2006 Bianchi L'una-retired
2016 Felt Z4

Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
rushlake

Bikes

Definitely a must see.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
rushlake

Bikes

From questioning how much could Bryan Fogel could "improve" by implementing a professionally organized doping program to uncovering the man, Grigory Rodchenkov, in charge of the Russian doping program. Which they attribute to the Russians earning only 15 medals at the 2010 Vancouver but winning with 33 medals and 13 of them gold at Sochi 4 years later. Leading to accusations of Putin having Rodchenkov's coworkers assassinated and his defection and eventual placement in the U.S. witness protection program.

Watching Fogel pop pills and give himself his daily injections really makes me look at dopers with disgust and think of them as not athletes who must be superior in their respective sports to begin with for doping to make them excel and become the top "athletes" in the world. But nothing more than common addicts. With the addiction not being the pills and testosterone injections or perhaps the blood transfusions. But they crave the money or fame enough to lower themselves to this lifestyle. Just another aspect of their training regimen.
Understandably the Russian athletes had no choice or even L.A.'s teammates, and I'm sure other teams, forced to dope or leave. And I'm sure since Yuliya Stepanova, confirmed what many suspected, that their was a doping program, the Russian athletes would rather not face the exposure and embarrassment leveled at them like Lily King had done in Rio. Bringing the it all out front at the Olympics not just something whispered about.
Unlike L.A. the Russians will probably never be stripped of their medals. The I.O.C., as mentioned in the film, looked at the 50 billion dollar investment Putin made for the Sochi games. WADA as well ineffective on such a large scale. So not only are the Russians not banned but they are scheduled to host more international games like the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
All it takes is money and denials and of course time for everyone to forget or move on to another scandal and it's business as usual. Again too much money and fame or perhaps more likely national pride that winning, even by cheating, is justified. New tests for catching dopers are implemented and just as soon more ways to cheat the tests are found. I guess it will be, going forward, always a part of sports. Don Catlin, founder of the UCLA Olympic Doping Lab, said he tested L.A. 50 times and couldn't catch him. He further posited that they were all doping.
I am not saying that Americans are somehow morally superior or that we in the U.S. would never stoop to that level, to cheat. We have had our own share of cheaters caught, even at the olympic level. However unless someone uncovers evidence of something larger it has been nothing like a government run program.
What I take away is the wonder or now a questioning eye with respect to athletes in recent history. Are they who we thought they were?
Obviously Lyle Alzado's steroid use is not in question. Or our own Milwaukee Brewers Ryan Braun's positive test for PEDs. And the list goes on. But those perhaps never caught. Or maybe some who were clean now looked at with a raised eyebrow.
I remember the stories of the 60's Green Bay Packers. Back then all they worried about was whether Paul Hornung or Max McGee where going to be hungover for one of their games, which did happen in Super Bowl 1.

Quick Reply