Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Professional Cycling > Lance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
bjjoondo
Recreational and Utility Rider :)

Bikes

Liked 169 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 10

JMHO, Pro Sports in general sucks! "drugs, sex, money", it's lost all of it's appeal for my wife and I! As far as Lance goes, the races, who cares, the Cancer stuff, good on him. I'll do by best to remember the good he did and let the bad fade away, YMMV.

B.J. Ondo
2011 Jamis Allegro 1: Fitness Hybrid/Utility
Take care, Ride Safe, have FUN!:D

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
CaptainHowdy

Liked 195 Times on 98 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/10/17/armstrong-steps-down-as-chairman-livestrong-cancer-fighting-charity/

Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5382 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 10719

The fact of the matter is that it's done.

A private organization is receiving federal money to go after someone, WAAAAY after the fact, which, I think just makes them look ridiculous, kinda like the current digging looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

What's done is done.

And the more this kind of witch hunt and puffing of chests continues, the worse professional cycling looks.

I'm not saying to sweep it under the carpet, but at the same time, going in with guns blazing is only good for making yourself look stupid.

Better to be a sniper. Lay low, silent and hidden, one shot, one kill.

DISCLAIMER: I didn't mean for my previous post to be offensive, I just thought it was a bit funny to break up any tension in the Lance Debate. If I offended anyone, I apologize and please know than I am making pennance by eating a lean cuisine for the third day in a row.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
Merlincustom

Liked 912 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
The fact of the matter is that it's done.

A private organization is receiving federal money to go after someone, WAAAAY after the fact, which, I think just makes them look ridiculous, kinda like the current digging looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

What's done is done.

And the more this kind of witch hunt and puffing of chests continues, the worse professional cycling looks.

I'm not saying to sweep it under the carpet, but at the same time, going in with guns blazing is only good for making yourself look stupid.
You may be overlooking that LA was but one of 6 named defendants. All were still active in the sport, so it's not way after the fact; it's current. Lance was still competing in triathlons, Leadville, etc. USADA has his non-analytical positives from as recently as 2009-10.

USADA is charged with policing the sport to protect those athletes who don't cheat. They didn't go after Lance. They had no control over the evidence that came to their attention when Floyd got the ball rolling, and they certainly couldn't look the other way. If they don't sweep it inder the carpet, how else can they prosecute it other than by getting all of the evidence that they can?

There was no witch hunt. Lance was given an offer to sit down and tell the truth like all of the other riders who gave evidence. Had he done so, it's likely USADA would have allowed him to keep his five Tour titles won before the eight year statute of limitations.

Professional cycling would have looked worse had USADA done nothing when all of this evidence was swirling around. Things can only get better from here.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
davereo
Bikes

Liked 3399 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 3388

You worried about your tax dollars used to investigate this matter? Maybe you should worry about the tax dollars that were fraudulantly spent on drugs and used to fraudulently obtain titles which were used to fraudulantly line up coporate sponsors which came out of our pockets many times over.

How about the clean guy trying to break into professional cycling when all this crap was going on but never made the final cut. We may be spending tax dollars on supporting him and his failed attempt to this day.

I think Lance deserves to sit in a locked cell for a few years and pay the price of the crimes commited.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6030 Times on 3422 Posts
Likes Given: 5469

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereo View Post
You worried about your tax dollars used to investigate this matter? Maybe you should worry about the tax dollars that were fraudulantly spent on drugs and used to fraudulently obtain titles which were used to fraudulantly line up coporate sponsors which came out of our pockets many times over.

How about the clean guy trying to break into professional cycling when all this crap was going on but never made the final cut. We may be spending tax dollars on supporting him and his failed attempt to this day.

I think Lance deserves to sit in a locked cell for a few years and pay the price of the crimes commited.
Wow, that's what I call making a statement and a strong one at that

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
ben

Bikes

Liked 892 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I am a casual rider just trying to cheat the devil i.e. stay fit, live longer. It is hard for me to put into perspective the dedication, time and effort needed to win the T.D.F. and then multiply that by 7. As you younger folks say "I can't get my head around it". I am in awe of his accomplishments but once he cheated he also became a liar as he adamantly denied all charges of wrongdoing.

For me this raises a couple of more questions:

When Floyd was stripped he was caught shortly after his win. How did Lance get away with it for so long. Did he share his drugs but not share his tricks for avoiding detection with his teammates? That would be sinister.

As the details unfold it seems that everyone else was doping as well so how could he still win 7 times? Did he have better dope?

To answer the OP's question I am in awe of his accomplishments but sadly I no longer respect him.

He use to be Mr. Armstrong but now he is just Lance.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #18
CaptainHowdy

Liked 195 Times on 98 Posts

Ya know, I'm just a kid playing football in a vacant lot in jeans and a t-shirt. If Michael Vick did, or did not, mistreat dogs has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the game.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5382 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 10719

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

REgardless of tax dollars spent, cheating, etc. it's done.

Is any of that money every going to be returned? I doubt it.

It seems at this point it is a matter of semantics, and yes, I do view it as a witch hunt. Why? Notice USADA flies their flag only when they go after a big name in the public eye? To me, that stinks of a publicity stunt/attention getter.

I'd rather it was done behind closed doors and then an announcement is made when the target has been successfully taken down.

But then again, a drug-fueled ride doesn't sound like a bad thing either. Let's go!

But we have to hit Domino's on the way out and back.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6030 Times on 3422 Posts
Likes Given: 5469

There’s no incentive to step forward today. Should someone emerge with evidence to link them to doping in a few week’s time, they’re doomed but at least they’ll banked another month’s salary. So clean rider and arch-cheat alike will sign up to the declaration.

http://inrng.com/2012/10/the-madness-of-zero-tolerance/

zero-tolerance1.jpg  

Last edited by rola643; 10-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.
katz Likes This 

Quick Reply