LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5852 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 5403

The downward spiral...why does all this take so long...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/spanish-prosecutors-looking-into-usada-files_261778

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5852 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 5403

I needed a good laugh this morning and the Twisted spoke provided it Article is a few days olsd and if you don't like a little/can't handle profanity don't look here!

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/rant-on-lance-reactions-you-freakin-dumb-asses/

Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
paultech6

Bikes

Liked 67 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Still have respect for him. There has been doping in this sport way before he did it. He just got caught.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
bikertank

Liked 408 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good articles Rola - I especially like twisted spoke - have to go there again - good reading

Personally - doping is stealing - regardless if the whole profession is doing it - that says something about the sport itself

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
PlatyPius
Sponsor
TS_SPONSOR.png

Bikes

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never had respect for him in the first place, so there was nothing to lose.

For those saying that he has helped cancer awareness.... Really? Is there anyone on the frakking PLANET who has never heard of cancer or knows that it is bad? The money that Livestrong brings in goes toward sustaining itself, paying salaries, and facilitating networking with current and past cancer patients/survivors. Awareness? No. Well, except for making even more people aware of Lance Armstrong, which is what Lord Lance wants more than anything.

Got Coffee? Get some great coffee sold by a cyclist for cyclists. Amazing! Coffee that doesn't taste like gasoline! http://www.rapidoroast.com

Disclaimer: I own a bike shop. Yes, I'm biased and opinionated.

katz Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Merlincustom

Liked 880 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

It seems at this point it is a matter of semantics, and yes, I do view it as a witch hunt. Why? Notice USADA flies their flag only when they go after a big name in the public eye? To me, that stinks of a publicity stunt/attention getter.

I'd rather it was done behind closed doors and then an announcement is made when the target has been successfully taken down.
USADA didn't do anything differently with their flag than when they went after Kirk O'Bee, which nobody heard about because he's a low level rider It's not their fault that LA is a public figure and the media ran with it. At that point, the doors are open because of media reportage, not because of anything USADA did. Nor is it USADA's fault that Lance decided to challenge the case in federal court, and had his attorneys try to control the PR. USADA only responded to Armstrong's attorneys' statements, and didn't initiate any press of their own. After Lance was "taken down," USADA published the decision on its website, as they do in all cases, for transparency's sake. Obviously they have to give it to UCI, for UCI to act on it as they see fit.

If Armstrong called this process a witch hunt (the federal court disagreed, finding no due process violation), what do you think he'd have to say if everything were done behind closed doors and the only announcement came after he was taken down?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5299 Times on 2741 Posts
Likes Given: 10585

I respect your stance and point of view, I really do. And I also acknowledge to agree to disagree.

I think there was a lot of chest puffing and boorish bravado. Whether you agree or not is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things just as my opinion isn't going to make this mess go away.

The fact of the matter is that I think it was handled poorly. As for truth/allegations/consequences, for me, the issue is bigger than that.

The only yellow jersey I own is my after-school little league jersey and the only TdF win I have is the one on my trainer after I whipped Fignon and made Petachi cry.

Media sensationalism or not, I do not believe it was handled properly.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
Merlincustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post

When Floyd was stripped he was caught shortly after his win. How did Lance get away with it for so long. Did he share his drugs but not share his tricks for avoiding detection with his teammates? That would be sinister.

As the details unfold it seems that everyone else was doping as well so how could he still win 7 times? Did he have better dope?
He got away with it because there was no test for EPO until 2005, and there's still no test for homologous transfusions, and the biological passport that helps with that today wasn't around when Lance was winning. Don't forget, just Floyd and Tyler were caught. Floyd for cortisone, and Tyler for an autologous transfusion, which is weird, because Tyler was taking his own blood, not someone else's. The other 9 teammates who confessed also got away with it.

He won 7 times because he was a great doped rider better than the other great doped riders.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
Merlincustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post

The only yellow jersey I own is my after-school little league jersey and the only TdF win I have is the one on my trainer after I whipped Fignon and made Petachi cry.
That's two more than I have.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5299 Times on 2741 Posts
Likes Given: 10585

Just as an FYI, if you put the dvd player on slow-motion, it makes it easier to win in the final sprint.

Quick Reply