Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Professional Cycling > Putting the "ouch" in "this hurts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5393 Times on 2777 Posts
Likes Given: 10760

Putting the "ouch" in "this hurts"

Seeing the dogs made me cringe and a bit upset but check out around 2:33 IIRC.

http://youtu.be/enbsq7ttR0s

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
bikertank

Liked 409 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is why I am so glad I am not that good or fast !

Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
newleaf150

Liked 2291 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 5501

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
Seeing the dogs made me cringe and a bit upset but check out around 2:33 IIRC.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/enbsq7ttR0s
Plenty of pain there, yikes!

Why would off-leash dogs be allowed near a bike race?! That seems amazingly stupid. The owners should have to pay damages. The dogs sure don't know any better

Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

I agree, but people are dumb at times, like the woman that drove on the course during the crit this summer.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
newleaf150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
I agree, but people are dumb at times, like the woman that drove on the course during the crit this summer.
Agreed on the stupidity. Oh, my. You seem to have triggered an old memory there. It happened a long time ago, but seems germane:

I once volunteered as a check-point man for a desert motorcycle race. Course included some public gravel roads, which the support crew legally blocked with volunteer vehicles.

F-tard rancher drives up, hears there's a motorcycle race on, looks annoyed. He tells us to f- off and proceeds to drive up the side of a hill to get around our (police-sanctioned) roadblock.

That move puts him on an active race course, running salmon-style against pro-level motorcyclists on 600cc crazy-modded racers. The racers, of course, are running all-out with no clue there's an idiot on the course trying to kill them in an F350.

My buddy who ran the race claimed afterward that he was running 100+mph through that section. It still makes me a little sick to think of what might have happened.

The riders didn't have radios, so there was no way to stop the race or even warn them to slow down. I really do hate that feeling of sick, helpless anticipation of imminent tragedy. I thought for sure someone would end up dead that day. The only saving grace was the moron did it between packs.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Check out "From Dust To Glory" when they start on the Baja. You'll see them going full-out (including the Class 11s, but the trucks are my favorite) with kids and stuff running through the streets.

I sometimes wonder why Darwin doesn't show his face more often.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3508 Times on 2039 Posts
Likes Given: 3442

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf150 View Post
Agreed on the stupidity. Oh, my. You seem to have triggered an old memory there. It happened a long time ago, but seems germane:

I once volunteered as a check-point man for a desert motorcycle race. Course included some public gravel roads, which the support crew legally blocked with volunteer vehicles.

F-tard rancher drives up, hears there's a motorcycle race on, looks annoyed. He tells us to f- off and proceeds to drive up the side of a hill to get around our (police-sanctioned) roadblock.

That move puts him on an active race course, running salmon-style against pro-level motorcyclists on 600cc crazy-modded racers. The racers, of course, are running all-out with no clue there's an idiot on the course trying to kill them in an F350.

My buddy who ran the race claimed afterward that he was running 100+mph through that section. It still makes me a little sick to think of what might have happened.

The riders didn't have radios, so there was no way to stop the race or even warn them to slow down. I really do hate that feeling of sick, helpless anticipation of imminent tragedy. I thought for sure someone would end up dead that day. The only saving grace was the moron did it between packs.
I have a heavy barrel .308 with a 24x scope. Dude would have gotten a couple flats on my watch.
Jahwarrior Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Jahwarrior

Bikes

Liked 483 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
I have a heavy barrel .308 with a 24x scope. Dude would have gotten a couple flats on my watch.
totally agree

Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

yikes ...

Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
newleaf150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
Good attitude

With all due respect, you might get away with that with a city-slicker. I didn't know the individual in question, but I grew up around his type: shoot at him and you're virtually guaranteed return fire, and from another long gun. Probably more accurate than you'd think.

In close, he'd likely have a side-arm to go with the rifle. I knew many of his peers. Think a lifetime of snap-shooting at varmints and lots of hunting. Far from civilization. I'm seriously not being flippant, or trying to play one-up.

Quick Reply