Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Professional Cycling > Putting the "ouch" in "this hurts"



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
kneedrachen
Moderator
TS_MODERATOR.png
 
kneedrachen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,925
Liked 4279 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

Putting the "ouch" in "this hurts"

Seeing the dogs made me cringe and a bit upset but check out around 2:33 IIRC.


http://youtu.be/enbsq7ttR0s



kneedrachen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
bikertank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,388
Liked 396 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is why I am so glad I am not that good or fast !



__________________
bikertank is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
newleaf150
Senior Member
 
newleaf150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,773
Liked 1822 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 4144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
Seeing the dogs made me cringe and a bit upset but check out around 2:33 IIRC.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/enbsq7ttR0s
Plenty of pain there, yikes!

Why would off-leash dogs be allowed near a bike race?! That seems amazingly stupid. The owners should have to pay damages. The dogs sure don't know any better
__________________
newleaf150 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
kneedrachen
Moderator
TS_MODERATOR.png
 
kneedrachen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,925
Liked 4279 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

I agree, but people are dumb at times, like the woman that drove on the course during the crit this summer.

kneedrachen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
newleaf150
Senior Member
 
newleaf150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,773
Liked 1822 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 4144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
I agree, but people are dumb at times, like the woman that drove on the course during the crit this summer.
Agreed on the stupidity. Oh, my. You seem to have triggered an old memory there. It happened a long time ago, but seems germane:

I once volunteered as a check-point man for a desert motorcycle race. Course included some public gravel roads, which the support crew legally blocked with volunteer vehicles.

F-tard rancher drives up, hears there's a motorcycle race on, looks annoyed. He tells us to f- off and proceeds to drive up the side of a hill to get around our (police-sanctioned) roadblock.

That move puts him on an active race course, running salmon-style against pro-level motorcyclists on 600cc crazy-modded racers. The racers, of course, are running all-out with no clue there's an idiot on the course trying to kill them in an F350.

My buddy who ran the race claimed afterward that he was running 100+mph through that section. It still makes me a little sick to think of what might have happened.

The riders didn't have radios, so there was no way to stop the race or even warn them to slow down. I really do hate that feeling of sick, helpless anticipation of imminent tragedy. I thought for sure someone would end up dead that day. The only saving grace was the moron did it between packs.
__________________
newleaf150 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
kneedrachen
Moderator
TS_MODERATOR.png
 
kneedrachen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,925
Liked 4279 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

Check out "From Dust To Glory" when they start on the Baja. You'll see them going full-out (including the Class 11s, but the trucks are my favorite) with kids and stuff running through the streets.

I sometimes wonder why Darwin doesn't show his face more often.

kneedrachen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png
 
Industry_Hack's Avatar
Bikes
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,875
Liked 3116 Times on 1881 Posts
Likes Given: 3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf150 View Post
Agreed on the stupidity. Oh, my. You seem to have triggered an old memory there. It happened a long time ago, but seems germane:

I once volunteered as a check-point man for a desert motorcycle race. Course included some public gravel roads, which the support crew legally blocked with volunteer vehicles.

F-tard rancher drives up, hears there's a motorcycle race on, looks annoyed. He tells us to f- off and proceeds to drive up the side of a hill to get around our (police-sanctioned) roadblock.

That move puts him on an active race course, running salmon-style against pro-level motorcyclists on 600cc crazy-modded racers. The racers, of course, are running all-out with no clue there's an idiot on the course trying to kill them in an F350.

My buddy who ran the race claimed afterward that he was running 100+mph through that section. It still makes me a little sick to think of what might have happened.

The riders didn't have radios, so there was no way to stop the race or even warn them to slow down. I really do hate that feeling of sick, helpless anticipation of imminent tragedy. I thought for sure someone would end up dead that day. The only saving grace was the moron did it between packs.
I have a heavy barrel .308 with a 24x scope. Dude would have gotten a couple flats on my watch.
__________________
IndustryOutsider.com - cycling and outdoor stuff.
Interbike 2008 photos | Interbike 2009 photos | Interbike2012 photos

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.
Industry_Hack is offline  
Jahwarrior Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Jahwarrior
Senior Member
 
Jahwarrior's Avatar
Bikes
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 693
Liked 400 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
I have a heavy barrel .308 with a 24x scope. Dude would have gotten a couple flats on my watch.
totally agree
__________________
Jahwarrior is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
carlharsch
Senile Member
 
carlharsch's Avatar
Bikes
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,894
Liked 1412 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

yikes ...

__________________
carlharsch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
newleaf150
Senior Member
 
newleaf150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,773
Liked 1822 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 4144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
I have a heavy barrel .308 with a 24x scope. Dude would have gotten a couple flats on my watch.
Good attitude

With all due respect, you might get away with that with a city-slicker. I didn't know the individual in question, but I grew up around his type: shoot at him and you're virtually guaranteed return fire, and from another long gun. Probably more accurate than you'd think.

In close, he'd likely have a side-arm to go with the rifle. I knew many of his peers. Think a lifetime of snap-shooting at varmints and lots of hunting. Far from civilization. I'm seriously not being flippant, or trying to play one-up.


__________________
newleaf150 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Zip "Trailz" VS "Mountain Trailz" EZIP DrkAngel General Bike Discussion 2 10-24-2012 09:45 AM
Interview: Dave Shields Author of "The Race" and "The Tour" INTEGRATE Training / Health 0 06-16-2012 07:51 PM
SDMBA first-ever "WENCHES with WRENCHES" Womens' event with North of the Border Bike aweesan California Bike Forum 3 01-21-2011 02:28 PM
8th Annual Chris Hinds FUJI "Sunshine" Criterium whyeyebike Rhode Island Bike Forum 1 04-03-2010 04:47 PM

Newest Threads