Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Expedition & Touring > A Touring Bicycle vs A Randonneuring Bicycle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Farrowlane

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 98

A Touring Bicycle vs A Randonneuring Bicycle

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Touring bicycle and a Randonneuring bicycle?

My thinking is that you could most probably Randonneur on just about any bicycle, but you'd have to be more selective about a Touring bicycle, because of the load you'd most likely be carrying up ascents, and the balance required at slower speeds.

What are your thoughts?

Any Randonneering cyclist around here, anywhere?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Jahwarrior

Bikes

Liked 432 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 45

<--- Not a randonneerer, heck, I didn't know what you were talking about until I googled it.
my thought would be that nearly any bike could be used for randy'ing, but like anything, it depends on additional factors - weight, distance, equipment etc.... nothing flimsy, but nothing special...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1034 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 891

I'm interested in the same thing. I really want a bike for hitting the gravel roads around here, but I would love to do some Randonneuring/Brevets on it. Seems like the big deal with Randonneuring/Brevets is a comfortable geometry for looong days in the saddle. In addition, I'd probably be using the bike as my main commuter, so there's something else for me to consider.

I'm currently seriously considering the Rawland Drakkar 2 which is the soon to be released update of the Drakkar. Seems like with some minor tweaks to tire/wheel selection, that just might be the do-it-all bike I'm looking for.

Hmmm...strange. I just went to Rawland's page to send the link for the Drakkar 2 page that I was looking at about a month ago. It is no longer there.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
longjohn
tall old member

Liked 411 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwarrior View Post
<--- Not a randonneerer, heck, I didn't know what you were talking about until I googled it.
my thought would be that nearly any bike could be used for randy'ing, but like anything, it depends on additional factors - weight, distance, equipment etc.... nothing flimsy, but nothing special...
I had to google it too. I'm not sure what the advantage would be over a touring bike. I guess maybe if I was doing brevets I would understand. My touring bike has become my favorite bike. I use it for century rides, commuting, and touring. I even use it for group rides when I have a perfectly good road bike sitting in the garage feeling neglected. I live on a gravel/dirt road and my touring bike handles the gravel quite well with the 700/32 slicks.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Farrowlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwarrior View Post
+1

This is kinda what I was thinking too...

However, just to add___I was also thinking that Brevets would require possibly lighter bikes that would not have quite the weight carrying capacity. I could imagine a road bike, a hybrid, or a 29er MTB. It either really should have rack and fender braze-ons, in the case of longer brevets. It should also have excellent lighting. It either may or may not have a CF fork.

Perhaps a Raleigh Revenio, a Jamis Coda, a Trek FX, or even a Specialized Tricross.

OTOH, a dedicated Touring bike would never have a CF fork. It would most likely have both a chromoly steel frame and fork. It would tend to have slightly wider tires. It would be absolutely imperative that it have braze-ons for both rack and fenders. It should also have excellent lighting, both front and rear.

Perhaps like a Surly LHT, a Salsa Vaya, a Trek 520, a Fuji Touring, or possibly even a Surly Cross Check, or an Ogre.

Last edited by Farrowlane; 12-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
bikertank

Liked 400 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My "Limestone" bike seems it would fit the bill well - fairly lightweight alum with carbon fork - flat bar 9speed raleigh 2011 FT-3 Cadent - only cost me $750 at Koslow Bicycles in Illinois - they might ship - I would give them a call !

Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
bikertank

Liked 400 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ask for Beverly !

Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
stogies4life

Liked 105 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I have been giving thought to doing a rando next year. I have a 7.3 Trek hybrid that I plan on starting with. I am only looking at doing the 200km events right now. But when it comes to differences I don't think there are that many, until you consider the longer brevets (600k and 1200k). Then you would probably want a front rack as well as a back rack to carry extra clothing, food and the like. Also for a brevet that length you must have a headlight and tailight. Fenders aren't a bad idea either.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 931 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 14

dude, one of those types of events sounds like it would be a blast. ride out with your buddies, do a long trek, take a break, do another trek, break, get to where ever you are going, head back, break. sounds like a blast

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
Farrowlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
dude, one of those types of events sounds like it would be a blast. ride out with your buddies, do a long trek, take a break, do another trek, break, get to where ever you are going, head back, break. sounds like a blast
There's nothing like a one or two week tour to get to know who your true club friends really are!

Quick Reply