Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > 50+ > IT Band Syndrome, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
John_V

Bikes

Liked 2701 Times on 1564 Posts
Likes Given: 2488

IT Band Syndrome, anyone?

I was just wondering if anyone over 60 has had any bouts with IT Band Syndrome and if so, how long were you off your bike while recovering from it?

Last week I was at the MUP riding and noticed a pull in the back of my left knee with each downstroke of the pedal. It showed up the day after one of my rides with some very strong winds we were getting from Sandy. I didn't think anything of it and took some ibuprofen and stayed off the bike the next day. I have been riding since then with no problems. Well, yesterday, while riding on the trainer, it came back. I'm familiar with ITBS but have never had it before. Although the signs and symptoms of what I have isn't typical of ITBS, I am making an appointment with the doc today just to rule it out.

Has anyone else here been through this? I'm curious to know what you did for it but mostly how it's affected your post treatment riding.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 182 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry, only pushing 60, and have not been "diagnosed" with ITBS. I've had tightness behind the left knee with occasional flare-ups though. The best treatment for me was/is a hard foam roller. I can not praise roller use enough, even for everyday recovery. Stretching has always part of my riding regimen, so can't make a definitive rehab correlation with that. However, lowering the saddle ~3mm and moving it forward about the same did reduce the recurrence of discomfort. I also changed my heel height during crank rotation from slightly down & level, to slightly raised throughout.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
John_V

Bikes

Thanks Dancer! If its not ITBS, I'll have to try a hard foam roller. I often use a vibrating heat massager for minor muscle aches, but that hasn't helped in this case.

HCFR Cycling Team

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 182 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you've not used a roller before, I suggest purchasing the best you can afford, and 36inch in length. Your first IT band roll out is going to be painful, that's just how it is until accustomed. Avoid rolling over bones like the Greater trochanter/tubercle, but the spine can be rolled. Rolling the back will give you an extra inch in height and a wonderful surge of endorphins.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
INTEGRATE

Liked 589 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V
I was just wondering if anyone over 60 has had any bouts with IT Band Syndrome and if so, how long were you off your bike while recovering from it?

Last week I was at the MUP riding and noticed a pull in the back of my left knee with each downstroke of the pedal. It showed up the day after one of my rides with some very strong winds we were getting from Sandy. I didn't think anything of it and took some ibuprofen and stayed off the bike the next day. I have been riding since then with no problems. Well, yesterday, while riding on the trainer, it came back. I'm familiar with ITBS but have never had it before. Although the signs and symptoms of what I have isn't typical of ITBS, I am making an appointment with the doc today just to rule it out.

Has anyone else here been through this? I'm curious to know what you did for it but mostly how it's affected your post treatment riding.
Glutes my friend, hammer them. It band syndrome will typically manifest as it tightens up to stabilize the knee if the glutes aren't pulling their weight.

Very common with runners and riders. More times than not, rolling it out and increasing glute strength will take care of it.

I'd also recommend getting your fit checked to make sure you aren't over reaching in your pedal stroke.

Al Painter, NASM CES, PES, BA

Never attempt any new exercises mentioned in the fitness forum without a thorough evaluation from a physician, personal trainer, strength coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist or sports chiropractor. To do so without their consent, is to do them at your own risk. Riders/racers at the high school level must obtain written parental consent to request training advice via direct message.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
mtndoc

Bikes

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hit the big 60 last month...so far no ITBS, but have strong glutes from growing up on a waterski...literally...the foam roller is good idea, but talk to your MD to get diagnosis...massage therapy or PT can help...have heard good results from "McConnell's taping" to help as well...DrB

Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
John_V

Bikes

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRATE View Post
Glutes my friend, hammer them. It band syndrome will typically manifest as it tightens up to stabilize the knee if the glutes aren't pulling their weight.

Very common with runners and riders. More times than not, rolling it out and increasing glute strength will take care of it.

I'd also recommend getting your fit checked to make sure you aren't over reaching in your pedal stroke.
I've been paying close attention to what has been going on with the knee since it started acting up. Although close, it doesn't exactly fit the ITBS signs and symptoms and seems to only happen on the downward part of the pedal stroke. I don't get the typical heel contact, keen pain and the pain is more medial than it is lateral. It also doesn't hurt when I squat or stand on my toes. So now I'm thinking it may be something else but still seeing the doc to rule out ITBS since signs and symptoms don't always play by the book.

The glutes are pretty hammered, maybe a little too much. I do 30-40 mile rides every day at around 19-20 mph moving speed. I don't usually do high cadence rides; mostly around 80-84 rpm. Since we are very flat here, I also do a lot of stand up riding to practice for some of the hilly charity rides I do in other parts of Florida. Normally, I can do around 1/4 mile or so standing, with some pretty decent speed, so that works the upper legs and hips pretty good.

I have a Retul fitter at the shop where I bought my bike and since I spend a lot of money there (including my fitting), he will do quick fit checks at no cost for me, whenever I need them. The last one was last month when he readjusted my saddle after it got moved after a fall. The fit is dead on.

The more I think about this, I think that I may have pulled a muscle or stretched a tendon in the knee. But I'm still seeing a doc for a definitive answer as I don't want to start treating something that I don't have. I hope this passes quickly as I am going into withdrawals from not riding.

HCFR Cycling Team

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

John, I hope you find out this is something that is not going to be difficult to remedy and that you are well and back on your bike real soon!!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
INTEGRATE

Liked 589 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I've been paying close attention to what has been going on with the knee since it started acting up. Although close, it doesn't exactly fit the ITBS signs and symptoms and seems to only happen on the downward part of the pedal stroke. I don't get the typical heel contact, keen pain and the pain is more medial than it is lateral. It also doesn't hurt when I squat or stand on my toes. So now I'm thinking it may be something else but still seeing the doc to rule out ITBS since signs and symptoms don't always play by the book.

The glutes are pretty hammered, maybe a little too much. I do 30-40 mile rides every day at around 19-20 mph moving speed. I don't usually do high cadence rides; mostly around 80-84 rpm. Since we are very flat here, I also do a lot of stand up riding to practice for some of the hilly charity rides I do in other parts of Florida. Normally, I can do around 1/4 mile or so standing, with some pretty decent speed, so that works the upper legs and hips pretty good.

I have a Retul fitter at the shop where I bought my bike and since I spend a lot of money there (including my fitting), he will do quick fit checks at no cost for me, whenever I need them. The last one was last month when he readjusted my saddle after it got moved after a fall. The fit is dead on.

The more I think about this, I think that I may have pulled a muscle or stretched a tendon in the knee. But I'm still seeing a doc for a definitive answer as I don't want to start treating something that I don't have. I hope this passes quickly as I am going into withdrawals from not riding.
Medial knee pain could be shortened lateral calf muscles (peroneals) and weak glute medius muscles. Any way you can get those two things looked at?

Al Painter, NASM CES, PES, BA

Never attempt any new exercises mentioned in the fitness forum without a thorough evaluation from a physician, personal trainer, strength coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist or sports chiropractor. To do so without their consent, is to do them at your own risk. Riders/racers at the high school level must obtain written parental consent to request training advice via direct message.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
John_V

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRATE

Medial knee pain could be shortened lateral calf muscles (peroneals) and weak glute medius muscles. Any way you can get those two things looked at?
I'm going to ask my primary doc, when I see him, if he can recommend a sports med doc. I don't think he is set up for an accurate diagnosis.

HCFR Cycling Team

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Quick Reply