Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Advice for a cycling beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
mjwassmer

Advice for a cycling beginner

Hey guys, great forum. Had a quick question, would be great if you could help me out. I'm looking to purchase a bike for myself, a beginner. I rode when I was younger (I'm now 21), looking to get back into it.

Is this a good deal? Can anyone tell me more about this type of bicycle? I googled it but could find very little.

Men's Kensington Elite Hybrid Bicycle

He said he would give it to me for $80. Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3116 Times on 1881 Posts
Likes Given: 3252

If that's all your budget will allow, then it's OK. But you might do better to find something a bit more modern. What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
mjwassmer

I plan on riding around town. If I were to buy new and didn't want to spend a ton of money (what if I don't take to it?), do you have any suggestions for modestly priced but decent bikes?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Industry_Hack
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

You can get a reliable, bike-shop quality Giant for less than $300 right now. Avoid Xmart bikes. For a little more money, you should be getting a proper assembly, some free maintenance, and a bike that will last and hold its value, should you decide to sell it in the first year or so.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
mjwassmer

Thanks for your help. So you'd recommend finding a bike shop and asking about their Giants? Or is there a preferred retailer?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Industry_Hack
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Giant, Trek, Felt, Specialized - they will all have some decent entry level bikes. But since Giant is the largest manufacturer, I've found that they seem to offer the best value. Any good bike shop should be able to help you assess your needs and find a bike within your budget.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
IanHighfield

I would buy any complete bike that functioned for 80 dollars. That's not enough money to get excited about. You'll always have a working bike and can get right back to saving for a better one without feeling you've blown a real nest egg. I would not spend 3-400 hundred on a low-end new machine when for a few hundred more you can get a much better bike. (600)

Get the cheap ride for little cash, work on it, learn on it, buy a better one later on when you have a better feel for what you really want and are able to spend real money.

And always save the early junker for skoots around town.

I'm 21 too, mjwassmer.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Nigal
YAY BAIKS!

Liked 520 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think buying used is fine but a bike shop gives a new rider something John Q. Craig'sList can't and that is proper fit and proper purpose. I got my first real adult bike at a shop and bought a hybrid/commuter that I still ride and love nearly 20 years later.

I would suggest a nice reasonable bike with comfortable, upright sitting position. If it feels comfortable you will ride more. If it is uncomfortable and causes pain then you won't ride as much. I would avoid mountain bikes as they have a special purpose.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-Bilbo Baggins

Last edited by Nigal; 01-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
CTD50
DX's Biggest Member

Bikes

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That Craigslist bike is priced about what it was NEW, and the seller wants that for it now? It had BETTER be "like new"!

The Haro Flightline is another 'budget' bike that will treat you well; they're a little tougher to find sometimes, but are good bikes.

Giant is a real mainstay -- hard to go wrong.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Sickmont

Bikes

You can also go to the bike shops and see what they've got for trade-ins/used bikes also if you wanna save some cash and get a decent ride.

It's really sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.

Tags
beginner, newbie, newb, noob, advice, hybrid

Quick Reply