Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Bike vs (geared) Unicycle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
unigeezer
Over 50 and not '2' tired

Liked 40 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Bike vs (geared) Unicycle!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
schwinnman

That's one bad ass unicycle! I have always been kinda afraid of riding a unicycle. But that one sorta makes me want to try it. And love the music in the vid thanks for sharing.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
unigeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinnman View Post
That's one bad ass unicycle! I have always been kinda afraid of riding a unicycle. But that one sorta makes me want to try it. And love the music in the vid thanks for sharing.
Thanks, and yes, you should go for it!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
OWA

I would probably get confused with those gears haha.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
salvage_bikes
Banned

Liked 101 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Adding gears to a unicycle is interesting. Does it have a brake, also? I have seen some unicycles with mtn bike tires and a hand brake under the seat, made for riding off road.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
unigeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvage_bikes View Post
Adding gears to a unicycle is interesting. Does it have a brake, also? I have seen some unicycles with mtn bike tires and a hand brake under the seat, made for riding off road.
Florian Schlumpf invented the internal geared hub made exclusively for unicycles, and thus it is "fixed" when in both 1:1 and high gear, 1:1.5. Unicycles do not and cannot "coast", so a freewheel hub would be out of the question.

I use a magura hs33 rim brake on several of my unicycles. Recently, unicycles have started using disc brakes, and I have two uniycles with disc brakes as well. The brake lever is generally attached to a post under the saddle, but I also attach the brake to the front of my t-handle on the mountain unicycle seen in this video. Here's a new video I made doing some speed runs on my geared 26er:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSfrJ4HSVE

Last edited by unigeezer; 11-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.
salvage_bikes Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
salvage_bikes
Banned

Liked 101 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Thanks for the information. I have seen the Schlumpf Drives for bicycles, and I like them. There are some competing products also, (2 speed cranksets with planetary gears under a cover). I think the unicycle 2 speed product would be very interesting for making an unconventional 2 wheel bicycle. I saw a 36" wheeled flatbar road bike, on which the rider pedaled the back wheel directly as would a unicyclist. The wheels were almost touching, but there was no danger of toe overlap because of the wheel size and the pedal position.

I thought unicycles were uninteresting until I saw some videos of the off road style riders with knobby tires, riding down rocky hills and on mountain bike trails. I don't want to buy one, but I think it's cool.

http://youtu.be/1uPznTbus3g "Extreme unicycling"

Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
unigeezer

Yeah that's a classic clip from Kris Holm, my main sponsor, and one of the original pioneers of the sport of MUni (Mountain unicycling). He basically inspired me to get into off-road unicycling back in 2006, and I love it now more than ever!

Here's a compilation showing a variety of riding including 24", 26er, 29er and 36er, doing rocky technical, big drops, high speed riding, etc. Btw, how do you embed youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foP23CONoHY

Last edited by unigeezer; 11-15-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Jahwarrior

Bikes

Liked 400 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I actually ran into a unicycler on a mountain bike trail last week, maybe it's catching on! atleast around here it was quite a sight (NC)

Quick Reply