Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Certified mechanic's course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
ferg

Liked 35 Times on 15 Posts

Certified mechanic's course

Hi everyone!

I would like to take a professional/accredited bike mechanics course this year. I am a certified auto technician but after 36 years, I am looking for another skill for my retirement days.

I have looked into UBI in Washington, someone else recommended a Park Tool course...

What advise do the pro mechanics here on twospoke recommend? I have to plan ahead as I have 3 weeks vacation and will have to fly to wherever.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,
ferg

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space!

2007 Gary Fisher Hybrid
Cannondale SuperSix
TREK 6500
BOB YAK trailer w/custom paint
Cignal Tandem
Huffy MTB
Cyclops Fluid 2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3382 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 3396

Are you prepared to spend thousands on a course that will allow you to earn $10/hour? For what it's worth, if I owned a shop, I would look to hire someone with a natural aptitude for mechanics, and a passion for bicycles. A certificate from a school wouldn't impress me much.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 948 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i went to aviation school and the degrees aren't worth anything, really. american airlines was starting people at 8 bucks and hour. i made more working on golf carts.

i think it would be a hard life trying to pay bills as a bicycle mechanic

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Merlincustom

Liked 860 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i went to aviation school and the degrees aren't worth anything, really. american airlines was starting people at 8 bucks and hour. i made more working on golf carts.
I can't wait to jump on a plane now.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Merlincustom

Liked 860 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The OP is retiring, and maybe not worried about making a living.
I always wanted to take the Barnett Bicycle Institute course. It's lengthy and pricey. I have the four volume set. Very detailed, no shortcuts. The former head mechanic at a good shop in Philadelphia swore by it.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5702 Times on 3274 Posts
Likes Given: 5308

Quote:

i think it would be a hard life trying to pay bills as a bicycle mechanic
A&P licensing?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5178 Times on 2699 Posts
Likes Given: 10370

From what I understand, Park Tool's course is taught through independent shops and goes by their BBB-2 text.

While I would not expect to make a lot of money wrenching as compared to other fields, I think for retirement it'd be a good gig and a labor of love.

UBI and BBI have a ton fo literature they will send you via mail; as I understand it another school is due to open in the Carolinas in the not too distant future.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
superj
still learning

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
A&P licensing?
yes, thats the schools and degrees i pursued. once it got to the licensing part, 9-11 happened and aviation jobs dried up (even worse then offering 8 bucks an hour starting pay) so i stayed in construction and then went back into the army to work blackhawks. after doing some of the training, i ended up getting out for a family hardship and getting hired as an army civilian working aviation. unfortunately, none of the fun of being military and all the bummer of having to do the same paperwork as if i were an XO or CO.

i keep trying to get our CO to get some m-f pt going but they aren't really big on having pt for civilians. and we don;t even get to ride in the helicopters after we work on them

2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5702 Times on 3274 Posts
Likes Given: 5308

Quote:
yes, thats the schools and degrees i pursued. once it got to the licensing part, 9-11 happened and aviation jobs dried up (even worse then offering 8 bucks an hour starting pay) so i stayed in construction and then went back into the army to work blackhawks. after doing some of the training, i ended up getting out for a family hardship and getting hired as an army civilian working aviation. unfortunately, none of the fun of being military and all the bummer of having to do the same paperwork as if i were an XO or CO.

i keep trying to get our CO to get some m-f pt going but they aren't really big on having pt for civilians. and we don;t even get to ride in the helicopters after we work on them
You must have went to Ft Eustis for training then hu? I would be in no hurry to do any FCF flights

I allways wanted a ride in a F-15 c or d model 30 seconds is all I asked for. Full vertical take off, look up at the sky, look in the mirror at the same time and hope not to pass out

Closest I got was back seat in the hush house on a no. 1 engine AB. blowout engine run.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
superj
still learning

Bikes

yes, fort eustis. h co, 71st trans for training. the reclass company, ha ha ha. i just want to ride in a chinook. flight test won;t let me ride, boeing won;t let me ride, no one will. said its not approved. every tdy trip to philly, i try to talk those guys into letting me do a ride along and they keep saying no.

i guess i could bring it up next time i run into our commander. i never remember to ask him when i bump into him anywhere. he is a really cool guy but i just never think to see if i can bum a ride with him. he was a chinook pilot forever

2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Quick Reply