Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Disc Brake Question / Tune-up Woes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2450 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 3668

Disc Brake Question / Tune-up Woes.

I sent my bike in for a tune up at my Local LBS mainly because I needed my front Derailleur adj better than I could get it set.

Both of my Hayes Nines Disc brakes worked fine. The rear dragged a bit but nothing major. ( I had already ordered a new rotor to fix that issue.) Now granted my rear brake lines are way longer than they need to be. I guess the kink \ routing I put them in has made the housing crack in two spots now.

The replacement part cost $47.00 from the LBS and 30 for labor... so $77 + Tax for a pair of brakes I gave $50 for.

Also he ( the bike mechanic ) took the liberty of adjusting my front disc brake \ rotor as well. It had no problems before and now it drags so bad it howls like a banshee unless you constantly hit the brake or slam it hard. It will shut up.

The LBS Mechanic thinks my front rotor is too thick for the Hayes Nines. He also mentioned he thinks my Crank / Bottom Bracket is too long and causes weird shifts. (Crank & BB is brand new!)

Mechanic also suggested that I might try swapping my front rotor with the rear rotor since the rear is thinner (Avid) and the front is a thicker (Delta Aztec) rotor.

This is getting annoying / pricey. I just want a bike I can ride.

So... My question. Do I replace parts on these relics or just get new brakes all together? I see I can get into the Avid Elixr 3 line for 59ish a side plus shipping from BlueSkyCycling.com

Also I think I have a hookup on a new hose from a friend but I'd have to wait for it to come from China.

Lets here your opinions. My ears are open.

Last edited by rynoman03; 01-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3529 Times on 2043 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Hmm, where to start? What was the width of the old BB, and what is the width of the new one? Because new or old, if it's too wide, you'll never have a good chainline.

As for the brakes, lesson learned. That's one of the reasons I don't let anyone else touch my bike. He shouldn't have messed with your front brake, unless you signed something when you dropped it off authorizing them to fix whatever was broken. At least he didn't charge you for screwing things up.

The cost to fix your hydraulics is more than I paid for a new set of BB7 mechanicals, with discs and all hardware. If you want low maintenance, that's where I would look. By the way, $47 seems step. Check with Alex @ MTBTandems.com for custom length Goodrich hoses. I bet he's competitive in pricing. I had a local industrial hose supply company make me a custom braided stainless hose with fittings, plus pressure testing, for about $60. The bike I run that on is a bit heavier and faster than your MTB, so I know they will do the job on a bicycle.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Well my friend here in town thinks I need to try and fix the hose first. He said 47 was steep too! Ya I told him the rear brake drags a bit. I guess he got that one fixed up nice. But the rotor was warped. I ordered a new one and I told him this. It was just supposed to be a tune up \ dial in my front derailleur.

He ( the bike mechanic ) told me the front one drags a bit and he thinks my rotor is too thick. Which might be. I'll swap the front to back and see.

Last edited by rynoman03; 01-10-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

After playing with the front caliper last night i got it to shut up. The bottom adj bolt that mounts it to the fork was loose. LBS didnt' tighten it apparently. I did my own adj. Rode 7ish miles today without any squealing.

So far I've found this http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222337902/436/Hayes-HFX-9-G2-Tubing-and-Hose.html but I've also fired off an email to Alex like you suggested.

Quick Reply