Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Found First 1965 Raleigh R.S.W Compact Brought into USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Johnnyr740

Found First 1965 Raleigh R.S.W Compact Brought into USA

I am 37 years old luckily I still have my Grandparents and I am very close to them. Visiting their home I always remembered there being this Green thing in one of the closets. On my last visit I took the green thing out and unfolded it which was pretty easy to figure out. The bike is Green with white lettering on the side that says Raleigh R.S.W Compact. I tried looking for the bike on the Internet and found the Raleigh RSW Compact and the history around it as we'll as some on EBay. The ones I found were a little different the earliest was a 1968. On my Grandparents Bike the seat is green in the back and white in the front. The rear fender matches the seat in that it is white and green. Their is also some detailed white painting on the bike. My Grandparents live in NJ now and I asked my grandmother who is 84 lol if she wanted to sell it she said ok and gave me some information on the bike. Her and my 92 year old grandfather bought the bike in Pelham NY at a local bike shop. They were told at the time that this Rahleigh was the first bike to enter the United States of this new model. My grandmother said she rode the bike maybe 10 miles and that the bike spent its life in the house the bike is all original and looks like it lived inside.

So I am wondering did all the RSWs have the white lettering on it and the ones I see on the net the paint just wore off? Also were all the seats green and red white and the ones on the net have just been recovered during the years? Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3468 Times on 2024 Posts
Likes Given: 3426

Hey, we just want photos.

And welcome to the forums!

synack Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

+1, would love to see a pic of that bike!

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
newleaf150

Liked 2180 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 5271

Johnny,

What a find! +1 on some pics!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Johnnyr740

Here are the pics :)

image.jpg

I am sorry it took so long to reply but I live 4 hours from my Grandparents home in NJ where the bike was located. I wanted to get the exact story from my 93 year old grandfather and 85 year old grandmother.

I took quite a few pictures with my iPhone in the garage. I did not even wipe the dust off the bike before I took the photos because I wanted your advise on that. From what my grandparents told me and they are very honest people this was the first Raleigh RSW imported into the US. The bought the bike in 1965 at a bike shop in Pelham NY. The way the bike looks is the same the day it was purchased. From what the odometer says my grandmother rode it 58 miles since 1965.

They moved to NJ and the bike has been in the garage. The paint is perfect their is some mild pitting on some of the chrome. All the hand painted lettering is still fully there. The cables still pull and you can put air in the original tires and you would be fine. The bag is in perfect shape it spent its life in a closet near grandma's handbags lol.

I did not want to wipe it down and maybe harm all the original lettering and colored emblems. What do you all think? I am going to put it on eBay or Craigslist I guess does that seem like the best place?

It took a while to upload the picture but I wanted to get one up. I will upload two or three at a time now so you guys and girls can get a good look thanks for you help.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Johnnyr740

Attachment 9068
image.jpg

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Johnnyr740

image.jpg

Quick Reply