You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

Garmin dying...need replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #31
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 1952 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 751

I just ride. where the wind blows me is the way I go so I don't need maps to plan my ride, just something to track it.

so I cannot help on this subject other than I do know you can lay out courses on strava. I have never tried to follow one I made though

And now there is one
Lightening phantom (fast, also)
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #32
cybersnow
Senior

Liked 419 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I can't really say that I have ever gotten much out of a bike computer in terms if gps or route planning. I do have an excellent GPS that I carry in my backpack and it has topography maps built in. What I wanted was a simple HR and cadence monitor.

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #33
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 1952 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 751

I bought a cycleops heart rate monitor from them, online. Its was cheap and they note they make the power tap heart rate meter, for power tap. And it looks just like the power tap one, but 50% cheaper. I used it on my 63 mile ride this morning and it hooked right to my phone for strava but it also hooks to my buddies garmin. And my cadance meter, from the local bike store hooks to them both also. The cadance meter was like 30 bucks.

And now there is one
Lightening phantom (fast, also)
ironlungs Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #34
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Liked 498 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Think I might just my bite the bullet & buy a elemnt, don't think I can bring myself to be a traitor & buy a garmin etc , love my wahoo setup 🏻
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #35
ironlungs

Liked 4957 Times on 2416 Posts
Likes Given: 8049

GT study it up between all of them. 1)Is it the best choice to trade in your working gps for the Wahoo element to get 80 plus dollars off? You must go through hurdles to do so and the rebate seems to be at Wahoo's discretion. (Note "seems to"). 2) between the elemnt and elemnt bolt which is the better deal? (I kept my garmin 510edge and bought the BOLT, which came out to about the rebate cost of the elemnt. And, IMHO, Fantastic piece of gear). 3) going from the garmin 510edge to the bolt: incomparable! Easy Wahoo BOLT. I'm loving the ease and versatility of it. Still learning the nuances.
Best to you on your choice regardless.

Old Today, 02:23 AM   #36
cybersnow
Senior

Liked 419 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Ok, let me ask an honest question. Sorry ladies. But do you thin the Bolt simple enough for a nontechnical person to use? This person has issues with her iPad.

Old Today, 11:47 AM   #37
ironlungs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersnow View Post
Ok, let me ask an honest question. Sorry ladies. But do you thin the Bolt simple enough for a nontechnical person to use? This person has issues with her iPad.
Technology knows no gender, Cyber, it depends upon the knowledge factor of the person using it. In my humble opinion. My wife, the poor lady, she says that she is computer savvy but well, I hang my head, and shake my head as well. And her smartphone! She has got that thing so messed up. I have to clean it every once in awhile because she has it so full of junk.

The bolt is like any other GPS/technology, basically you have to learn it, and it is quite easy, once you learn it. Right now I learned the basics of it, what it can do, and I'm reading up on what it will do. I love it!

Old Today, 12:07 PM   #38
John_V

Bikes

Liked 9510 Times on 4620 Posts
Likes Given: 16644

The biggest issue you will have with the Bolt, or any other navigation computer, is the initial setup. The Bolt setup is done entirely on the Wahoo companion app and that will take some trial and error to get it setup the way you want it or don't bother with it and use the default setup. The problem here is that the developers of these phone apps, especially complex ones, provide no help documentation for their apps and leave up to the user to figure it out. My friend, Steve, is still tweaking his Elemnt setup. However, once you get it to where you want it, or close to it, it becomes a three step process: press a button to start a ride, press a button to end a ride and press a button to reset the device for a new ride. Like anything else you buy that's electronic, the more you play around with it the easier it becomes to modify.

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; Today at 12:21 PM.
ironlungs Likes This 
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #39
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Liked 498 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlungs View Post
GT study it up between all of them. 1)Is it the best choice to trade in your working gps for the Wahoo element to get 80 plus dollars off? You must go through hurdles to do so and the rebate seems to be at Wahoo's discretion. (Note "seems to"). 2) between the elemnt and elemnt bolt which is the better deal? (I kept my garmin 510edge and bought the BOLT, which came out to about the rebate cost of the elemnt. And, IMHO, Fantastic piece of gear). 3) going from the garmin 510edge to the bolt: incomparable! Easy Wahoo BOLT. I'm loving the ease and versatility of it. Still learning the nuances.

Best to you on your choice regardless.

Not to worried about trading in my old unit got a few people interested in it 🏻 the main reason for up grade is for navigation & phone interface i.e. Phone calls as I don't always hear my phone when out riding

Just trying to decide on the bolt or the original element for its bigger screen

Old Today, 04:24 PM   #40
ironlungs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Tempest View Post
Not to worried about trading in my old unit got a few people interested in it 🏻 the main reason for up grade is for navigation & phone interface i.e. Phone calls as I don't always hear my phone when out riding

Just trying to decide on the bolt or the original element for its bigger screen
Yep. Ida gone for the bigger screen, myself. Regardless, enjoy either one. I do like the ease of the bolt, and, I'm sure the original elemnt is as good of not tad better, esp with the size.

Quick Reply