You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

Garmin dying...need replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #61
John_V

Bikes

Liked 9785 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 17404

One more thing I would like to see Wahoo add to it's list of ToDo items is to allow the companion app to have a user definable Export Format. Currently the Bolt and the companion app use the FIT2 format, probably because of it's compressed size. The problem is that many of the cycling apps and web sites don't import FIT2 files. So if you want to send a file to a different web site than Strava, you would need to first send the file to Strava and then export from Strava in the GPX format. Not a big issue, just another annoying step you have to do that the companion app should do for you.

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #62
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13383 Times on 7106 Posts
Likes Given: 10823

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
One more thing I would like to see Wahoo add to it's list of ToDo items is to allow the companion app to have a user definable Export Format. Currently the Bolt and the companion app use the FIT2 format, probably because of it's compressed size. The problem is that many of the cycling apps and web sites don't import FIT2 files. So if you want to send a file to a different web site than Strava, you would need to first send the file to Strava and then export from Strava in the GPX format. Not a big issue, just another annoying step you have to do that the companion app should do for you.
Not a deal breaker but that does suck. I wonder why they choose that route? Strava seems to be the common drop of point anymore tho.

Looks like it should work with RWGPS at least.

This companion app and authorization steps also apply to the Wahoo Bolt GPS.
https://ridewithgps.com/help/wahoo-elemnt
FAQ

Will my saved rides sync back to Ride with GPS?
As long as the app is authorized to sync to Ride wth GPS then rides recorded with the ELEMNT will sync back to your Ride with GPS account.

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel
John_V Likes This 
Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #63
John_V

Bikes

Since my ride was rained out this morning, I sat down at the computer and created the three day Coast 2 Coast routes on RideWithGPS so I would have turn by turn info for this years ride. Also on RWGPS are the routes for the MS-150 and a few others that I have created. I wanted to download the C2C routes into the Bolt so I did the sync and it went flawlessly. However, it also downloaded every route that I have listed on RWGPS.

Went into the companion app and played with it for a while and haven't yet figured out how to delete routes that you don't want listed in the device. I went to the Wahoo Support site and entered, "How to delete a route from the Bolt?" and got over 150 hits, none of them having a damn thing to do with deleting routes. I guess I'm going to have to search some of the forums to see if there's a solution. I probably could just plug the Bolt into my PC and manually delete the route files. I wonder, though, since I can't get them off the companion app, will they resync back to the Bolt?

So far my impression of the Bolt is that the hardware is awesome and works like a charm. However, the developers of the software need to get their act in gear and do this right. This stuff isn't really that hard to do.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
ironlungs Likes This 
Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #64
John_V

Bikes

Update on the above post for the Bolt users on this forum. If you haven't figured it out yet, according to some posts that I've read, you have to go back to the source and remove the routes you don't want to have on the Bolt , then resync from within the Bolt. In RWGPS, deleting the route from your Routes page also deletes them from your Home page. Therefore, those routes are gone and must be recreated to use them again.

I'm thinking that it would be much easier to sync all the routes to the Bolt, plug the Bolt into your computer and copy/move the route files back and forth between the Bolt and the computer, as needed.

I'm beginning to wonder just how many members of the software development team actually ride and use this product?

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
People Like This 
Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #65
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13383 Times on 7106 Posts
Likes Given: 10823

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
Update on the above post for the Bolt users on this forum. If you haven't figured it out yet, according to some posts that I've read, you have to go back to the source and remove the routes you don't want to have on the Bolt , then resync from within the Bolt. In RWGPS, deleting the route from your Routes page also deletes them from your Home page. Therefore, those routes are gone and must be recreated to use them again.

I'm thinking that it would be much easier to sync all the routes to the Bolt, plug the Bolt into your computer and copy/move the route files back and forth between the Bolt and the computer, as needed.

I'm beginning to wonder just how many members of the software development team actually ride and use this product?

You're not doing a good job of enticing me into the Bolt

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #66
John_V

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
You're not doing a good job of enticing me into the Bolt

Don't get me wrong, the Bolt is awesome. I'm just looking at this software stuff from a developers point of view and saying that somewhere along the line these things should have been addressed and looked at from an end users end rather than from an "it's easier for us" point of view.

Very few people use MAC filtering in home networks so the WiFi connection shouldn't be an issue to 99% of the users. Getting routes into the Bolt is a breeze. The instant you create a route or copy someone else's route in RWGPS, the routes get downloaded as soon as the Bolt is connected to a known WiFi source. Getting rid of the routes is a different story. An end user shouldn't have to delete routes from the source in order to remove them from the Bolt.

If you don't care about getting turn by turn on a route, you can email yourself a ride you have already done or a downloaded GPX file and open it with the companion app. If the route wasn't directly downloaded into the Bolt, the companion app will allow you to delete them but it won't allow you to delete downloaded routes created from RWGPS. It's just a screwed up way of doing things.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
People Like This 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #67
John_V

Bikes

Another one of my issues got solved yesterday but not by Wahoo. The great people at Abvio (Cyclemeter) just released a beta version that supports the FIT2 format and since I'm a beta tester for them I have it. Now all that's needed is do an Open With on the ride I want to send and it sends it to Cyclemeter, where I can do what I've been doing with ride files for the past 4 years. :

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
People Like This 

Quick Reply