You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

Helmet ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
paultech6

Bikes

Liked 68 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Helmet ?

Took a ride up the Delaware Canal towpath Sunday .Its a packed red gravel path. There are rocks on the side here and there large tree limbs laying off the sides , some hills ,paved roads to crossover , you get the idea .
Why do I see so many morons men women and complete families riding without helmets .They may say its no big deal and they are safe riders.
Don't they realize if they did take a hit falling down what the possibilities are without a helmet

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
davereo

Bikes

Liked 5895 Times on 2796 Posts
Likes Given: 6126

Sometimes the brain injury occurred long before the cycling began.

I have always found it fascinating that the least skilled riders are the ones that don't wear helmets.

John Heisman
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 505 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 292

One of my pet peeves is when parents make their kids wear helmets yet won't set the example themselves and don't wear one.
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
fpl1

Liked 6541 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 3163

I saw 2 different couples riding this morning with no helmets. A brain injury is a life changing event for the person who suffers it and the family members who are left to deal with the injury. You see the same thing from the motorcycle crowd too.
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
fpl1

Helmet ?

Oops

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

Last edited by fpl1; 06-25-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
BeginnerCycling

Bikes

Liked 172 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Ah, a helmet post that starts out calling people morons -- how nice! As for me, I'm actually starting to ride more often without a helmet. It's pretty nice!

I won't ride MTB singletrack or road group rides without a helmet (let's call that "riding for sport"), but riding my city bike around town and on bike paths I often don't wear a helmet.

There are a jillion statistics out there, and many contradict each other, but in the end we all take calculated risks every day. If you drove your car today without a full helmet, fire suit, and roll cage, you made a decision not to take all precautions that you could in the one activity most likely to lead to death or head trauma. If you walk up stairs without a helmet you are engaging in activity that at least some studies show is as risky as biking without a helmet. Walking or jogging also have risks of head injury that are not trivial. Yet, a person has to choose where to draw the line.

Blame it on growing up helmet-less in the 80's or whatever, I've weighed the risks (including the risk of being called a moron by others, and the risk of me feeling like a nervous Nelly who wears a styrofoam hat to walk up stairs), and I've decided to enjoy some rides a little more without a helmet. Flame away.

Last edited by BeginnerCycling; 06-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
davereo

Bikes

Liked 5895 Times on 2796 Posts
Likes Given: 6126

That would have hurt like all hell. Maybe my life was not in danger but my comfort would have been off the charts for a few months.
File Type: jpg LL.jpg (54.7 KB, 62 views)

John Heisman
Andy2302 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
John_V

Bikes

Liked 9678 Times on 4725 Posts
Likes Given: 17153

Two years ago was a bad year for me and bad crashes. On three occasions I hit my head and had it not been for my helmet, I would be lying in bed drooling on myself or in an urn on a shelf. I don't ride without a helmet, period!

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #9
mhebert88

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts

I recently dropped a chain on my commuter riding up the block to get ice cream for my kids. It took every bit of strength in my neck to not hit my head. I was sore for a couple of weeks. The road rash was bad, ruining my brand new nike golf shorts sucked, but man it could have been way worse. I won't make that mistake again.
John_V Likes This 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #10
fpl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
Ah, a helmet post that starts out calling people morons -- how nice! As for me, I'm actually starting to ride more often without a helmet. It's pretty nice!

I won't ride MTB singletrack or road group rides without a helmet (let's call that "riding for sport"), but riding my city bike around town and on bike paths I often don't wear a helmet.

There are a jillion statistics out there, and many contradict each other, but in the end we all take calculated risks every day. If you drove your car today without a full helmet, fire suit, and roll cage, you made a decision not to take all precautions that you could in the one activity most likely to lead to death or head trauma. If you walk up stairs without a helmet you are engaging in activity that at least some studies show is as risky as biking without a helmet. Walking or jogging also have risks of head injury that are not trivial. Yet, a person has to choose where to draw the line.

Blame it on growing up helmet-less in the 80's or whatever, I've weighed the risks (including the risk of being called a moron by others, and the risk of me feeling like a nervous Nelly who wears a styrofoam hat to walk up stairs), and I've decided to enjoy some rides a little more without a helmet. Flame away.

To each his own. I sincerely hope you never experience a head injury while riding. Wearing a helmet is a fairly simple and easy thing to do. I don't think it equates to wearing fire suits and having roll bars in a vehicle. Serious head injuries are a major burden to those left to deal with their friends/loved ones. I have personally seen what this can do to people and their families. Helmets are relatively inexpensive and take seconds to strap on. Well worth it in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

People Like This 

Quick Reply