You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

Helmet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
garydodovich

Helmet

I just started riding fixed and have been hit by a car in my first week. What's a good looking helmet that's not to fancy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Ericlkelly

The modular helmets are extremely popular with the ADV and sport-touring crowds. At the base level, all modular helmets have a chin bar that can be flipped up. At the next level, helmets like the Shark Evoline 3 ST completely flip up and around to the back of the head for full-on aerodynamic open-face riding. Others, like the Scorpion EXO-900 and the Nolan N44, can be reconfigured from a full-face helmet to a comfortable open-face helmet in a matter of seconds with removable parts. Both of these helmets have removable visors and chin bars and can be configured multiple ways. It's important to consider the level of versatility you desire when buying a modular helmet, as the chin bar systems, face shields, and occasional sun visors vary from helmet to helmet. If you are finding a best writing support then you can just click this weblink for more details.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Merlincustom

Liked 1531 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Good looking and fancy are in the eyes of the beholder. I'd just do "bike helmet" image search on google, or look stop into your LBS.
People Like This 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
John_V

Bikes

Liked 9516 Times on 4622 Posts
Likes Given: 16644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlincustom View Post
Good looking and fancy are in the eyes of the beholder. I'd just do "bike helmet" image search on google, or look stop into your LBS.
^ This!

All helmets sold in the US have to meet a minimum specification for head protection. That means that a $25.00 helmet purchased at WalMart will protect your head just as much as a $250.00 helmet purchased at your LBS. The two major differences is weight and cooling. The more expensive the helmet, the lighter it is and the more it ventilates (or so it's said). I live in Florida and have a $55.00 Giro Rift that is not heavy (for it's price range) and does an excellent job of cooling during our summers. It's the one I'm wearing in my avatar.

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
TruElvis
Two "Slow" Spoke

Bikes

Liked 5857 Times on 2544 Posts
Likes Given: 8717

^ Judging from this post, I wouldn't pay you (or the site you are spamming for) to write any paper above a first-grade level.
"Cycling is not about looking outward at those ahead or behind you, but inward. It's about discovering the depths of your physical toughness, and learning that your mental toughness runs just a little bit deeper than you imagined. It's not about being better than others, but being, for a few enchanting hours, better than yourself."
MilesR Likes This 
Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
bmohan55

Liked 1114 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 420

I found that what is important to me in a helmet is a continuous sweat band across the front. It will keep the eyes clear of that nasty burning sweat! I once had a helmet that the sweat bands were two piece in front and it did a poor job of directing the sweat away form my eyes.

1995 Bianchi Eros
2006 Bianchi L'una-retired
2016 Felt Z4
i12ride Likes This 
Old 10-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
DnvrFox
Still learning . . .

Liked 2464 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert88Williams View Post
Such a nice hobby! I always riding when they http://www.thewritingkid.com/ do a work for me. The website is just a dream for a student! Here you can custom every kind of work your need: book paper, article or thesis paper. They always finish on time. The perfect way to do everything your need and save time for the hobby!
According to the website, I can have a one-page "professional" dissertation written in 3 hours for $56.

Having written a doctoral dissertation, I sure wasted a lot of money - like thousands of dollars!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-17-2016 at 10:04 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Retmuter

Liked 346 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 16

John V is correct about helmets to a point. Will an el cheapo protect your head? Yes. Will it be comfortable and fit? Therein lies the question. Because without a good fit, any helmet is worthless. If it isn't comfortable and you don't use it?
Even more worthless. Bell has been in the helmet bidness forever. Guess who carries Bell helmets? I'll let you google.
That said, I don't buy helmets and shoes on teh interwebz. Has to fit.
rola643 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
nancyfields

Safety should be the top priority in bike riding with all those cars on the roads. Unfortunately, statistics show that there is a huge amount of bikes-cars incidents. I ride carefully, but you can never know what may happen. Itís not always your fault, car drivers often break the rules which can result in accidents including injuries and even death. The statistics are very pessimistic. However, you can still keep yourself safe to some point by wearing a helmet. Helmets reduce the risk of head and brain injuries in the event of a crash, thus, I always wear a helmet. Gonex Wind Cross is a good one to try http://bestadviser.net/mountain-bikes/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/ They are not that expensive and seem to be of a good quality and not too fancy looking.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
breakingaway89

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

In my opinion, go to the nearest shop and choose from there. You'll get a lot options. Buy, which suits you best.

Quick Reply