Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > How often should you have a bottom bracket service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Barnlek

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

How often should you have a bottom bracket service

I'm looking at to start working on my own bikes I'm wondering how often should I have my bottom bracket service

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 215 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For vintage style caged bearings depends on mileage and environment. If the bike is a new acquisition its a good idea to service the bearings to establish a base line and ensure the bearing balls and races are healthy, plus set optimum pre-load. I do my vintage bike about once a year, primarily because bearing pre-load increases on this BB during use, not so much due to contamination or lube loss; this bike never sees rain, I don't wet it when cleaning, and it is rarely used on unpaved roads. If I were to ride in the rain or use a water hose to wash it, I would shorten the service interval.

I service (re-lube) my UT external cup Campy crank bearings around 1500 miles. The interval on this bike represents around 50 miles of rain riding, and 200 miles of un-paved road, in addition to clean & dry conditions.

Sealed bearing BBs can go a long time without service; some BB types with inaccessible bearings are non-serviceable.

Last edited by HillDancer; 12-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.
DELTUFFO Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
DELTUFFO

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Take it apart whether it needs it or not.

Buy your tools at the bike shop.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Barnlek

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTUFFO
Take it apart whether it needs it or not.

Buy your tools at the bike shop.

I just got my BB off today.
There was water in there.
So it is a very good Idea to take your bottom bracket apart whether it needs it or not to make sure there's no water in there.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
MNRider

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

I agree that if you have a vintage bike with cup and ball bearings, you should service them as soon as you can just to make sure they are in good condition and properly greased. After that, How often should I service my BB? is like asking, How often should I buy new shoes?. The answer is: Whenever you need to. It will vary greatly depending on the miles you put in and under what conditions. Annually is common but you may need to do it more or less frequently. IMHO it is better to err on the side of caution and service early as long as you don't get obsessive about it.

"Those who say it can't be done should stand aside for those who are doing it."

Quick Reply