Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > If Pedaling Effort Is Any Indication......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 561 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 95

If Pedaling Effort Is Any Indication......

I have my seat height dialed in.

I decided to not go to the gym tonight and instead get some time in on my trainer doing intervals on it. I kinda had a two fold goal in mind. I wanted to test out the adjustments I made last night to get my knees in the right place with the fore and aft and making the seat level instead of pointed down the way it was. I also wanted to check and adjust the seat height.

So I decide to do intervals of one minute off, two on. I arbitrarily decided my cadence for the off minute would be around 80 rpm and my two on minutes would be 100+. The first interval after warming up a bit I notice it seems hard to hold an 80 rpm cadence, like its taking more effort than I think it should. Then I go into the max interval which I wanted to hold 100+ rpm. It dang near impossible for me to do so and Im floating around 98 - 99 with momentary glimpses of 100. During this time Im also watching my leg extenstion as I reach the bottom of the pedaling stroke and to me it looks like my legs are bent too much.

So I pause and I adjust the seat up about 1.5 or so cm. I get back on and start the intervals again. Whoa!!! 80 rpm seems easier. I get to a max interval again and holy cow Im holding 100 - 101 fairly easy. But my legs still seem bent more than they should be. So I pause again and pull the seat up about 1.5 cm or so. Tighten everything down and I get back on.

Holy Cow!! 80 seems rather effortless now, that is to say compared to what it was I dont seem to be having to work as hard. Max interval comes up, OMG!! Im holding 103 rpm very steadily and my legs look better extended but perhaps still could be extended just a tad more. I pause again, get off and make another adjustment of about a half a cm this time.

I start another interval and 80 rpm seems like not much effort. I go into another max interval and its even better. Im holding 105 - 106 rpm over two minutes. My legs look extended at the bottom about how they should be, a slight bend but not fully extended.

So I continue the intervals and do a few more and repeat the pattern. 80 rpm doesnt seem like much at all, in fact I was finding I had to slow down some because doing what I had felt before was 80 rpm was 90 or so. Again I do more max intervals and am able to hold 105 - 106 rpm.

I do this for about 25 minutes and never fell below 103 rpm on the max interval.

The seat feels better but having done intervals in it and got into a fairly comfortable position and what would be more of a natural riding position for me I notice now that it appears the stem may be too long as the front wheel hub is now visually behind the bars. But if I pull the seat forward to compensate for that I will pull my knees forward of the pedal spindles.

I think Im finally making progress getting this thing dialed in. Woo Hoo.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

kneedrachen Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5384 Times on 2771 Posts
Likes Given: 10720

Hard.Core.

I love seeing someone else sucked through the addiction door.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 2306 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Thanks Storm for the good read,

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
bikertank

Liked 408 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dr Knee - you have so correctly diagnosed Stormy - he is so an addict !

Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

You notice all of the signs and symptoms as well?

I wasn't sure if I should consult my DSM IV or not, but after his recent posts, I do fear it is full-blown addiction.

Rather than cure him, maybe we should become enablers?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Sounds like he is working toward teaching bike fit and the LBS!! Way to go Stormy!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
StormStrikes
Bikes

Me: Hi, my name is Scotty and Im a cycling addict.

Everyone: Hiiiiii Scotty!!!

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
StormStrikes
Bikes

Thank you all for the help and support. I talked with a co-worker yesterday who is also and advid cyclist and has done half and full century rides and everything in between. She knows many of the routes to take around here and we are going out and doing at least a 66 mile ride maybe further, but this time Im taking more than just plain water with me.

Im just not content knowing that I could have finished the Route 66 ride Saturday if not for my legs and the lactic acid build up. She said it may not have quite the elevation change but at this point I dont care, I want to finish that distance. The weather is supposed to be nice, even nicer than it was when I made that ride and she is a very experienced rider so it will give me a chance to learn too.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
StormStrikes
Bikes

Oh, I thought I would add, if anyone knows where I can find a 25.4 mm stem for 1-1/8" steerer I would appreciate it. I would like to get an adjustable one just to have some more flexibility with it but isnt absolutely necessary. Im looking for something in the 75 - 80 mm length range. Most of what I am finding in that range is for bars that are 31.8mm.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

came up with these

Quick Reply