You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

Looking for a helmet but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
kristo5747

Looking for a helmet but...

Greetings!

New guy here. I am looking for a helmet but the issue is with my melon. It's so big...it has its own gravity. And weather system.

My size is 8 3/8 (hat) or 66.5 cm or 25 3/8".

Giro and Bell are two of the manufacturers I looked at but they only go as high as 8 1/8.

I am willing to spend whatever cost necessary to protect my melon: do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Al.

Last edited by kristo5747; 12-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
BobH
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristo5747 View Post
Greetings!

New guy here. I am looking for a helmet but the issue is with my melon. It's so big...it has its own gravity. And weather system.

My size is 8 3/8 (hat) or 66.5 cm or 25 3/8".

Giro and Bell are two of the manufacturers I looked at but they only go as high as 8 1/8.

I am willing to spend whatever cost necessary to protect my melon: do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Al.
Hey Al,

Please let me known when you find a supplier for big boy helmets. I need an 8 1/2. We may have to make our own.

BobH.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
kristo5747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Hey Al,

Please let me known when you find a supplier for big boy helmets. I need an 8 1/2. We may have to make our own.

BobH.
Boy, have I thought of doing exactly that!!

I do some mountaineering as well. I stopped counting the close calls where ice or rocks whizzed by my head.

If I could make myself a helmet for both cycling and mountaineering, I'd be set!!

Problem is that the wife will never let me use her kitchen to mix the chemicals, exopy and all the stuff...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
photosbymark

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

The mistake you made is asking permission. Sometimes its easier to get forgiveness than permission. When it isn't though, its a bear
Jtank78 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
momule

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Deal with the manufacturers directly. Just cause you got a big brain box doesnt mean that you have to suffer from a lack of big brain cases. Might be that you have a small brain in a big box and so you need a good helmet. Call the manufacurers and raise all kinds of hell if need be.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
kristo5747

Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
Deal with the manufacturers directly. Just cause you got a big brain box doesnt mean that you have to suffer from a lack of big brain cases. Might be that you have a small brain in a big box and so you need a good helmet. Call the manufacurers and raise all kinds of hell if need be.
Got one!

I went to my local LBS yesterday afternoon.

A Bell Kinghead seems to work best for me: it is comfortable and fits snuggly without wobbling when I shake my head.

Problem is that I look like a real dork now.

Next step is to call my folks and curse both of them for giving me a huge melon. Sheesh.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Engyo
Bent Newbie - old rider

Bikes

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Next step is to call my folks and curse both of them for giving me a huge melon. Sheesh.
hope your mom doesn't go all Jewish on you....

[accent]"14 hours I was in labor, trying to pass that pumpkin you call a head......."[/accent]

2008 Rans V3 - steel steed
1984 Trek 620 - old warhorse

Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
kristo5747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engyo View Post
hope your mom doesn't go all Jewish on you....

[accent]"14 hours I was in labor, trying to pass that pumpkin you call a head......."[/accent]
lol....she is not jewish but she would surely go for the guilt trip.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
froze
Banned

Liked 537 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With such a huge melon you must be a genius.

Wow, the only thing you can do is go from one LBS to another and try them on till you find one that will fit. I can't imagine your the only person in the world with that large of a melon thus there has to be someone who makes one.

I did some web searching for you and found helmets made by Trek called Intreval XL Sport; also the Bell Kinghead aka Triton; Bell Sequoia; Giro Atlas II, and the Vigor Royal. All five of these go up to 66mm, now I know you said 66.5 but you need to try them on to see of they fit because like most size related stuff they rarely run true. The Trek will run $65 no matter where you go because Trek price fixes their stuff. Some of these are on closeout sales right now on the internet, but if you buy on the internet make rear darn sure you can return it if it doesn't fig or you got a helmet you can't use. Best to try to find one in the store if possible, or see if the LBS can get one in for you to try without having to buy it if it doesn't fit.

Like I said some of these are sized max at even 65mm but there was one person who reported that they needed a 65 and the one they tried was a 65 but it was too big!?! Anyway that's why you need to try them on.

Last edited by froze; 01-07-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
momule

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dork???

Quote:
Got one!

I went to my local LBS yesterday afternoon.

A Bell Kinghead seems to work best for me: it is comfortable and fits snuggly without wobbling when I shake my head.

Problem is that I look like a real dork now.

The older I become the more I savor and grow into my natural dorkiness. Wearing a bike helmet with blue jeans and my chucks and homemade bike gloves even makes members of my local bike group stay away from me. The real fun is when I get to go somewhere with my kids... Enjoy !!!

Quick Reply