Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Make a Bike Seat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Doomy

Make a Bike Seat?

How hard would it be to create your own bike seat?

I could see.. getting a properly sized pole from the hardware store with a square bracket at the top to bolt to the material your sitting on and then getting the material to hold the padding in place by stapling around the edges underneath...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
tajcrews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WHY? What would you mold the seat shape out of? Try it and let us see how it turns out and if your taint likes it.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
IanHighfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomy View Post
How hard would it be to create your own bike seat?

I could see.. getting a properly sized pole from the hardware store with a square bracket at the top to bolt to the material your sitting on and then getting the material to hold the padding in place by stapling around the edges underneath...
Not hard at all. I use a seat of my own making. I also use a head foil of my own design and manufacture.

For a seat, carve from soft basswood or balsa or hard foam a shape that appeals to you. Take a good look at what is out there in the way of design. Try to figure what you want by eye if not by experience.

Smooth this newly carved seat and coat with a single layer of epoxy resin. Let harden and then sand to a fair finish. Coat this new surface with auto wax or any commercial mold release. Use this "seat" as a positive mold to cast the finished product by layering up a menu of materials on it. You can use fibreglass, carbon fibre or any number of modern fabrics like Kevlar or Spectra Fibre.

Let the whole thing set up and then pop it loose from your original carving. You now have a shell of the seat you first created. It is recommended you carve the original seat a tad undersize as the finished shell will grow in size from the layer build up. This is all done by eye and experience is helpful. (I did it badly the first time - too big)

This shell can be made to accept the hardware off an existing saddle. I did not make my own rails but took them from an old Brooks saddle.

Your outer shell can now be covering in any type of material you can glue to it. Or you can ride it smooth and bare. That is what I did after epoxy painting it forest green to match my frame.

There are many good books to be had on the working of composite materials. It's dirty work but easier to do than you might think. It does help to have some sense of art or shape and form. Tool use too.

Ian

Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
craisin

mr mate tell me I have to boite the bullet

in other words just go and buy one

Old 12-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
craisin

^^^^^
So that was a hard

Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
IanHighfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by craisin View Post
mr mate tell me I have to boite the bullet

in other words just go and buy one
craisin, I had to laugh after seeing your last line and suddenly realizing what I'd described. You are correct. No wanker needs to make a seat. Anything that fits your taint is fine. I'm still laughing.

I just like to make things. Some people do. I've made my seats, seat posts and head foils. All of those items but the head foil is easily available to a gent.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
craisin

yes its good to custom build things and your tooled up to do it

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
chh55
Drink plenty of water!!!

Bikes

Over the years I have toyed with the idea of making a a plain wooden saddle but have not gotten around to it. Probably not such a unique idea... bet if I googled it I'd find a bunch... that always discourages me from doing anything.

vini vidi... bici!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Grape Ape
Younger than Hack

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh55 View Post
Over the years I have toyed with the idea of making a a plain wooden saddle but have not gotten around to it. Probably not such a unique idea... bet if I googled it I'd find a bunch... that always discourages me from doing anything.
That would be enough reason for me to try it. Try to make one that made the others look like they were done by an amateur. Make it smoother, shinier, bolder, more amazing, and just all around better. The level of awesome would be limited only by your effort and attention to detail.

You have to go up in order to come down. Why is the up part always so steep?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
chh55
Drink plenty of water!!!

Bikes

OK Grape, I get the picture.... maybe I'll rough one out on the bandsaw tomorrow. Alder will look nice, handsome grain and color, and not weigh too much... waddya think? Kind of base the shape on a BROOKS B17 maybe? I have an old 3ttt saddle (looks like a Cinelli Unicator) that I can cannibalize for the rails... expect pictures sometime after Christmas!

BTW, if the wood breaks and I get a pair of vintage rails lodged somewhere where they shouldn't oughta be I'll blame you!

vini vidi... bici!

Quick Reply