Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Making an offer at the LBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
LDB

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Making an offer at the LBS

Anyone with experience on making an offer on a new bike please speak up. My LBS has a 2009 Cannondale Rize 4 NOS originally marked $2499 now marked down to $1499. I'm interested in the bike plus a good lock and a good helmet and a set of USB rechargeable f/r lights I saw at their shop. I was thinking about offering $1500 out the door with the extras.

Questions.

1. Does that sound like a reasonable offer?
2. How receptive are shops to offers?
3. Should I consider a different offer?

Thanks for any and all input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2605 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 2647

If the bike is already marked down 1000 I doubt they have more room to negotiate. It wont hurt to ask about a discount on accessories purchased at the time of the bike sale.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1412 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

The markup on bikes is narrow, so don't expect much room there.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 4652 Times on 2712 Posts
Likes Given: 4496

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlharsch View Post
The markup on bikes is narrow, so don't expect much room there.
Not in my experience ! Markup is HUGE! My Madone was trashed and I was offered one at cost and I was...shocked to say the least!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Merlincustom

Liked 717 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 212

I read somewhere recently that bikes are at a 36 point average margin, and soft goods 50 points. There might be a little room on the accessories, but if I were the shop I'd want to tell you that the bike discount is so huge that I'd have to sell the other stuff at list.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3116 Times on 1881 Posts
Likes Given: 3252

Don't ask us. Go in there, tell the owner what you're after, and see what you two can agree on.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4272 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Not in my experience ! Markup is HUGE! My Madone was trashed and I was offered one at cost and I was...shocked to say the least!

I think this is relative; a good friend owns a shop and had explained, similar to what Merlin had said. The margin on bikes is smaller than accessories (locks, lights, etc) but I think when comparatively speaking, it looks larger due to the price of a bike versus a lock.

That being said, I agree with all of the above statements; $1000 off sounds like they want the floor space back and it off of the inventory books. I think your best bet on this one is to pay what they are asking for the bike, but see if there's a deal to be had on accessories. I've found most shops, when buying a bike, will work with you on accessories.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 1413 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 442

I allways bring cash, and get the out the door price for what you want. This is a good time to be buying a bike I think. So make him an offer but dont insulte him, he neads to know you are realy interested in a deal.
my ¢¢

Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1278 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

Make sure you look over the bike too. I saw one that was $1k marked down at a local shop and after looking it over and questioning the sales guy, it turned out that one of the mechanics was riding it constantly. The bars may have been re-taped but look at the drive train.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
John_V

Bikes

Liked 2729 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Anyone with experience on making an offer on a new bike please speak up. My LBS has a 2009 Cannondale Rize 4 NOS originally marked $2499 now marked down to $1499. I'm interested in the bike plus a good lock and a good helmet and a set of USB rechargeable f/r lights I saw at their shop. I was thinking about offering $1500 out the door with the extras.
This is just my opinion, and it may/may not mean anything, but .... I would not think that offering him a $1.00 profit on the bike and accessories will get you the bike. Personally, I would go in with $1,550.00 (to start) and tell him that this is all your budget will allow for you to spend on a bike and accessories. Second, if this is a new bike, I would ask him why a 2009 model has not sold in four years. I would also look over the bike very carefully to see if it has been used quite a bit as some shops loan bikes to their employees or it may have been a rental at one time. I would also do some research on this particular model to find out if the $2,499 is the MSRP of the bike when it was a new model or if that is the price he was selling it for and if the components on the bike are what the manufacturer offered on that model. I know of several incidents where some LBS' have taken in stock bikes and used their components to upgrade a bike for a customer, then replace those components with lower grade components and try selling it at the same price. The more knowledge you have of the product going into a negotiation, the closer you will be to getting your desired result. All this may sound a bit paranoid, but when buying a bike that old being sold as new, I want to know what I'm getting for my money and make sure I'm not getting taken advantage of.

Of course if the bike isn't your size, all this is moot because if you bought it just for the price, you'll be miserable on every ride. If you haven't already done so, consider other avenues such as Craigslist.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

People Like This 

Quick Reply