You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Moped Conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Youngbird

There is also a company called "LIFAN" in china. They manufacture a line if 4 stroke horizontal honda clone engines which are reminiscent if the older style 50, 70 and 90cc m/c engines. Prices start at about $199. for a 50cc auto that will nearly bolt in to a stretch cruiser frame with some tweeking. They appear to be good quality engines and will allow for speeds greater than the legal max for MBs or mopeds. Of course 35 mph and up on a bicycle is pretty fast.

Authorized EZM Dealer www.ezmotorbikes.com
and well known ANARCHIST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
craisin

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had 4 chinese honda clones a mate said put the 86cc clone on a pushbike.
I said no too heavy for the frame

I have installed a 48cc 2stroke with shift-kit on a race style Raleigh lost the race bars and its still quite easy to lift the bike off the ground , no battery yet but I will need one lights horn and turn signals

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
madbiker1

I have tried crazy conversions with chainsaws, etc, but they turned out to be a waste of time and $$. If you want to do a conversion, you basically have two practical options. You can get a Chinese two stroke mid-frame engine, or a tire roller kit. Four stroke kits are heavy and underpowered. Four stroke mid frame kits also require a cruiser bike frame and special "extra wide" cranks that fall apart after ten miles. Get a two stroke kit!! You can kill the two stroke stink with fuel fragrance. I use 3 ml of "Supercharged Strawberry" per gallon of gas, plus the Amsoil two stroke oil. If you search Ebay for "bike motor", you will see numerous 2 stroke mid frame kits for about $160 delivered. I would not waste my time with a 49cc kit. Get the "70 cc" or "80 cc" kit so that you have some decent power for the hills. I just scrape the "80 cc" sticker off the side and register it as a 49 cc moped. No cop will ever know the difference. If you want something easier to install, get a two stroke tire roller kit from Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts. They are about 2 HP, but you can replace the motor with a goped motor that has the 78mm clutch. I installed a Chung Yang GP42 engine that only weighs 9 lbs, but generates 4 horsepower! These motorized bikes will outrun any 49cc moped, especially up the hills. They are also about 100 pounds lighter and $1000 cheaper than a moped. More details at: bikes.html

bike12.jpg  

Last edited by madbiker1; 12-23-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
Youngbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbiker1 View Post
I have tried crazy conversions with chainsaws, etc, but they turned out to be a waste of time and $$. If you want to do a conversion, you basically have two practical options. You can get a Chinese two stroke mid-frame engine, or a tire roller kit. Four stroke kits are heavy and underpowered. Four stroke mid frame kits also require a cruiser bike frame and special "extra wide" cranks that fall apart after ten miles. Get a two stroke kit!! You can kill the two stroke stink with fuel fragrance. I use 3 ml of "Supercharged Strawberry" per gallon of gas, plus the Amsoil two stroke oil. If you search Ebay for "bike motor", you will see numerous 2 stroke mid frame kits for about $160 delivered. I would not waste my time with a 49cc kit. Get the "70 cc" or "80 cc" kit so that you have some decent power for the hills. I just scrape the "80 cc" sticker off the side and register it as a 49 cc moped. No cop will ever know the difference. If you want something easier to install, get a two stroke tire roller kit from Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts. They are about 2 HP, but you can replace the motor with a goped motor that has the 78mm clutch. I installed a Chung Yang GP42 engine that only weighs 9 lbs, but generates 4 horsepower! These motorized bikes will outrun any 49cc moped, especially up the hills. They are also about 100 pounds lighter and $1000 cheaper than a moped. More details at: bikes.html
You, my friend are sadly ill informed. Where I have nothing against a 2 smoker, I prefer the 4 strokes. EZM produces a kit which is easily installed and will make 45MPH. There is an EZM rider/dealer in AZ. who has over 4500 miles on his. So much for longevity issues. The extra wide cranks are a small price to pay for such a quality set-up, they are even available in 3pc. conversions. Check out the EZM site....you may be amazed at the progress in 4 stroke engines. We dont even think about masking our exhaust as its nearly non existant. Merry Christmas to you. And as an afterthought, there is no such animal as an 80cc china girl. Actual displacement on these babies is a whopping 66-69cc.

and well known ANARCHIST

Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
craisin

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbiker1 View Post
Well put but a well sorted 50 would have the advantage that a smaller piston is lighter so stock the would be closer to balanced than the bigger engines as ftrom china they are not balanced.
If you paid a little more and bought a china from a known engine builder you would be wise.
Anyway as another poster said theres??????about the 80cc

Old 12-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #16
madbiker1

Youngbird, I know you think I am "ill informed", but I have built 17 motorized bikes, including a jet powered bike. Out of the 17 bikes, I have built eight 4 stroke bikes. I found the Honda GHX50 (and clone) engines to be excellent runners, but way too heavy. I always felt nervous going into turns with the Staton kit because of the wobbling sensation caused by having all of that weight up too high. I built three "Whopper Stopper" bikes, but problems with the gearbox and extra wide cranks cost me a lot of time and money. What a frustrating experience! Both the one piece and three piece cranks came loose and had to be welded and loctited back together. The cranks also were not straight, and were wobbly when pedaled. I'm guessing that there might be some extra wide cranks somewhere that are decent, but I couldn't find any after an exhaustive search online. I am aware that the "80cc" designation includes the is really only 66cc, hence the "quotes". They do produce some decent horsepower for being a cheapie thing, though. I checked out the EZ Motorbike kits, and they look sweet. They only work on cruiser bikes, though. After riding cruiser bikes in the hills of Colorado, I've decided that they are too heavy, and that I hate coaster brakes. Drum brakes are weak, too. I have had some scary rides, as those things don't like to stop. I am much happier with my lightweight mountain bikes with nice cranks and super grabby cantilever brakes. As I mentioned before, the whole story is at: bikes.html. If four strokes come down in weight, size, and price, I'll consider buying another one. I want a four horsepower engine that only weighs nine pounds, though. The new propane weed whackers have tiny four strokes, but only 25 cc's. Sigh... Thanks for the advice, have a merry Christmas, too.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
craisin

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah right one can get a lot from critics
The 2 stroke is light and if you get it low in the bike the better it will handle.
A friend bought a electric hub motor it weighs in at 11 kgs and he has to run high tire pressures to cope as he and myself are over 6 foot, then there is batteries. Plus pedal are a must on any uphill rise.

All the best for the new year

Old 12-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
Youngbird

OK....Good. You DO know your way around a MB. Look at MORINI engines. Yup....theyre 2 smokers but theres a hella lot of hp in them and the price isnt bad. Also check out some of the small HiPerf. pocket bike motors....very light in weight but also very peppy. Happy riding!

and well known ANARCHIST

Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #19
craisin

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbird View Post
OK....Good. You DO know your way around a MB. Look at MORINI engines. Yup....theyre 2 smokers but theres a hella lot of hp in them and the price isnt bad. Also check out some of the small HiPerf. pocket bike motors....very light in weight but also very peppy. Happy riding!
Morini good motors my searches tell me
A bit wider than the china so if you want to avoid the [soft] wider chainring axle mount the motor higher in the bike the kickstart looks easy to use by hand. And fast

Bit pricey down my way

Quick Reply