You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion >

My next bar tape pattern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #31
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4569 Times on 2118 Posts
Likes Given: 13342

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
I can't do it. Have tried a lot with old tape on old bars. Can easily get the pattern. Can't get it to stay tight to the bar though. Not sure what the guy does or maybe it isn't as tight as I like my tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Ruedas View Post
I like the look, but if cwtch is having such trouble, I'll probably not attempt it.
Perhaps the answer is to recruit an extra pair of skilled hands? Braiding has always seemed to me like it'd be much easier if one were three or more-handed. This type of braid and materials certainly translate to a pretty high level of difficulty.

Between getting the pattern right and keeping the tape tight, it's definitely a challenge. I imagine that someone with experience working braids into hair or rope would be a big asset. Lacking that, a 2nd pair of hands to help keep constant tension on all the strands of tape as they are braided should make life easier.

I'm definitely going to try this, but plan to recruit Mrs. Newleaf to actually lead the effort while I assist and learn. She has a great deal more experience than I when it comes to braids and such .

ironlungs Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #32
cwtch

Liked 3132 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think a second set of hands would do it. Also get a really thin stretchy bar tape. The thicker good stuff seems harder to do this with.
Pattern is easy keeping it really tight is a challenge. The guy in the video is amazing. Really fast also.
People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #33
ironlungs

Liked 4733 Times on 2298 Posts
Likes Given: 7705

^^^^ I think that's the key! The video I saw, the guy did it SUPER FAST!! That's the secret!
newleaf150 Likes This 

Quick Reply