Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Need help with tyres.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Cyclistking

Need help with tyres.

Im looking for good poncture proof, reliable durable 700x37-38c tyres. Can anyone tell me if i should buy the colored duro tires wich look cheap to me but amazingly nice. Or some pretty good ones like schwalbe or less expensive ones?

Here are the duo tyres , i havent been able to find a review, so if you did , plz help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-BICYCLE-TIRES-700-X-38C-DURO-YOU-PICK-COLOR-/150569459380#ht_500wt_1159

Last edited by Cyclistking; 07-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Claykan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After reading different reviews for tires I opted for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, and I just took my first ride (12 miles) on them today. As a result I am a happy camper. The two big "Cons" I read about them were; They were heavy and hard to mount. In regard to heavy, they are heavier, but we're talking ounces here. Holding my old tire and new one in my hands it was just barely heavier. Some reviewers said the Schwalbe was difficult to mount. My rims are 700 X 38c and I mounted the Schwalbe tires quickly and easily, without the use of tire irons. They ride well and feel good and it's hard to beat their puncture resistance. My suggestion is to go with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Last edited by Claykan; 08-07-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2629 Times on 1444 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

Just curious here. You road 12 miles on a pair of tires and you are raving about them. What did you do ride over broken bottles or something?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Claykan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

davereo - Guess I could have worded that differently. I purposely reflected the 12 mile ride so folks wouldn't assume I have ridden on them for years.

Since no one had responded to Cyclistking's request of a month ago about what tires to get, and he had mentioned the Schwalbe tire, I thought I would try to help him out.

While I didn't ride over glass with mine, I have seen it done on videos, to include someone sticking a row of thumb tacks around his tire and riding on it with no air loss. Of course that could have been faked. People in goat-head areas love them because flats are no longer an issue. I have also read about people putting 6 and 10 thousand miles on them with no problem. But they could have been stretching the story. I don't know. I was just happy with my tires and thought I'd pass it on. Being the new kid on the block here I will try to curb my enthusiasm in the future.

Last edited by Claykan; 08-07-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2629 Times on 1444 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

No need to curb anything you are welcome to take part in any or all threads.
I just thought it was odd to recommend a tire with 12 miles on them.
Finding an old thread and bringing it back up front is a good idea. If you find others that peak your interest you can always bump them back up. A simple bump or lets discuss further can also be used to get it going again.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
qmsdc15
Bikes

Liked 366 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1260

It's too bad no one answered the question a month ago.

I have regular Schwalbe Marathons (not the Marathon Plus) 26 x 1.5 on my MTB. I've had 'em a while, don't recall flatting and they show very little wear. They lack the extra layer of flat protection of the Plus, which makes them a little lighter and I assume a little less expensive.

They are heavy, and to my surprise a little more slippery on wet pavement than other tires I've used in recent years, but I'm very happy with them. I suspect the high price will be offset by the high mileage I expect to get from them.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Claykan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At the rate I ride, I should have a thousand miles on the tires by the end of October. If I can remember, I'll post another review on them at that time. If they last that long.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
cderalow

Bikes

Liked 413 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 69

My GT has Schwalbe Land Cruisers, which I think have some sort of puncture protection.

I've got about 100 miles on them now.

I have had a flat, but for the life of me, couldn't figure out the cause (looked like a tube fault or something)

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Claykan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires

While I didn't quite make the 1,000 mile mark that I wanted to on my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires before updating my experience with them, I did manage to put 978 miles on them. Right now work and weather are getting in the way of my riding time, so I thought I better do it now before we start a new year.

Anyway, at the end of 978 miles I'm very happy with my Schwalbe tires. No flats and they handle well on gravel and pavement. Due to the membrane between the tread and the tube they provide a little more cushion on the gravel roads.

I purchased the Schwalbe tire because of its resistance to flats and so far it's panning out for me. I ride a hybrid on pavement and gravel and they are holding up well. I have no idea how well they would hold up in an off-road or racing environment, but if you want to tour the countryside without the worry of a flat, I recommend giving the Schwalbe Marathon Plus a try.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
newleaf150

Liked 1833 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 4181

Thank you for the original bump and the feedback on your Schwalbes, Claykan! This thread somehow escaped my attention. Sorry Cy-king

I have also read a lot of good things about Schwalbe tires, especially the Marathon and Marathon+. Have you run yours on wet pavement? I'd be curious how your experience stacks up with what QMS stated above.

I live in CO where there are plenty of goat-heads. I run Continental Touring+ tires in 700x42 at the moment, but my primary flat protection strategy remains Slime, which works great on punctures under 1/8" in diameter. I once picked 8 goat-heads out of my front tire in one sitting. I ride hard-surface dirt and pavement.

I did run the Touring+ tires without Slime for a little over a month and 400mi during the summer - I incorrectly believed my tubes to be pre-Slimed. They flatted pretty close to one-another right around the 400mi mark. No trouble before that. That's much better performance than I got out of the stock Contis my bike came with, but still short of your experience with the Marathon+.

Sounds like our cycling routes are similar. What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply