Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > New Seat Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 561 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 95

New Seat Recommendations

One of the things I learned from my ride on Saturday is that I have got to do something about seat comfort. General wisdom would say more padding, wider, etc. but I have seen comments around here that seem to take a different route.

So with that all said, I was looking around eBay for seats and found a few I 'thought' would be an improvement but I also would very much like to get input from more experienced riders. Im not exactly a skinny guy. Much thinner than I was a few months ago and still heading downward, but my hiney is not narrow. I do know this, I cant get comfortable on the stock seat the bike came with, its narrow nose put, ummm, pressure on those sensative areas. My brother-in-law gave me a seat that had a bit more padding on it, that channel down the middle of the seat and that helped some but on longer rides its still not all that comfortable.

I didnt want to spend a lot on a seat but Im not sure what I can get that will work without spending probably more than I had intended. I did find this on eBay and its split nose seems to address the pressure issue and it appears to have more padding.

Split Nose Saddle

I found a couple Schwinn seats also that seem to be a bit better than the stock seat, but I would rather get input from here before I committ to any purchases as Im just not sure what to do.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
StormStrikes
Bikes

I have an additional question that may be part of the seat issue, not sure.

I believe it may have been Sheldon Browns site where I read this, but it was suggested that when you were down in the drops that your view of the handle bar should be close to directly over the front hub. Well mine is no where close to that, in fact, when I am down in the drops my visual assessment would be that the stem needs to be about an inch longer. However, my handle bars dont have the bulge in the middle like some do and so I would need a stem for 25mm bars or new bars I guess.

Would stem length affect seat comfort? If so, do I follow Sheldon's advice and get a long enought stem so that when Im in the drops and looking down the bar and hub are close to lining up? To me, if I went with a longer stem that would pull me forward some and make matter worse. My thinking was I needed a shorter stem to push me back in the seat more, but I am new, inexperienced and still learning.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
StormStrikes
Bikes

Okay, I have spent the better part of two hours now making sure my saddle is set up as seems to be recommended. The seat is completely level, it was angled downward some. The latteral adjustment is now set so that my knees are in line with the pedal spindle when the pedals are horizontal, and it was too far forward some.

It still doesnt feel completely comfortable, but it is a little better. Though down in the drops it still seems like, based on Sheldon's recommendations, that the stem could be about an inch longer which would put me in the area of 120mm stem length. If I can get up early enough tomorrow I will go out and ride for a few miles and see what everything feels like.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6113 Times on 3451 Posts
Likes Given: 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormStrikes View Post
I believe it may have been Sheldon Browns site where I read this, but it was suggested that when you were down in the drops that your view of the handle bar should be close to directly over the front hub. Well mine is no where close to that, in fact, when I am down in the drops my visual assessment would be that the stem needs to be about an inch longer. However, my handle bars dont have the bulge in the middle like some do and so I would need a stem for 25mm bars or new bars I guess.
That should be from the hoods.
http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f86/bicycle-fit-9691/#post92497
3:20 into the video gives a perfect example

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6113 Times on 3451 Posts
Likes Given: 5502

No real meat in this article to me and the opeing paragraph did make me laugh.... a little anyway

As the intermediary between your reproductive organs and the rest of your bicycle, your saddle’s job is crucial to your cycling enjoyment. In this sense, your bike saddle is a hostage negotiator, and it is constantly bargaining for the survival of your genitals. However, finding the right saddle can be a harrowing experience. Here are some of the more popular methods cyclists take in their quest for pedaling comfort.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/take-seat?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Story-_-take-seat

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3501 Times on 2036 Posts
Likes Given: 3436

I've got a two part seat article in the works. How long can you hold out?

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
John_V

Bikes

Liked 4169 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

If it's anything like mine, the ISM saddle that you have as a link, is IMHO, the most comfortable thing your butt will ever sit on. I have the Prologue model and it was bliss from the very first time I sat on it. However, I had mine installed by the LBS that does my Retul fitting, so I didn't have to do any further adjustments. Here is a link to a topic on the ISM Road and Prologue saddles in the Road Bike forum. I'm more of a distance rider than a speed rider and even after a 100K ride, there is no saddle discomfort with my ISM. I have several friends and teammates that ride on the ISM style saddles and not one has had anything but praise to say about them.

ISM's do, however, require a different setup than most saddles, so if you are mounting it yourself, I would suggest that you view their video beforehand. It may also take you a few days to get get used to not putting your sit bones on the wide part of the saddle. These saddles are designed to have your sit bones placed just behind the nose. Before you order one online, I would see if you can find an LBS that carries them and will let you try one for a few days.

ISM is a local company and during the RNC that was hosted in Tampa, they gave over 250 of their saddles to the bicycle officers that were used for crowd control. I was at our annual Bicycle Bash, held yesterday, and around 10 TPD bike officers were there and all of them were still riding on the ISM saddle. I talked to a few of them and some of them went and purchased ISM saddles for their personal bikes.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

Saddle choice is such a varying subject depending on the individual. You should probably consider going to your lbs and get them to measure your sit bones.

I use this saddle but that doesn't mean it would be right for you.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/roadmultisport-saddles/toup-expert

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
StormStrikes
Bikes

Rola, thank you. If the stem length is sighted from the hoods then I am dead on, so I will not be worrying about that then.

Industry, I am in no hurry. I'll be fine for anything under 25 - 30 miles for now.

John, thank you for the input on the saddle as well. The bigger concern I had about the split saddle was it potentially 'narrowing' and pinching off some vital stuff.

synack, you are probably right. Choosing a seat is going to be something of a hit or miss proposition unless I know the measurements. I just dont know if they have someone there that can do that. Though I will give them a call and see.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
jeepster93

Liked 541 Times on 219 Posts

I have tried several different saddles and am just never long distance comfortable on a bike seat. Any saddle. At least so far. Figured it was me or everyone feels the same and I am just a bigger baby about it. Still most likely the situation...
Am most certainly going to give a split nose a try. Haven't tried one like that, yet.

Quick Reply