Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Which one is a better hybrid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
neurojack

Which one is a better hybrid?

I've been looking at two bikes but still not sure which one is the 1.
It between the Giant Accend or the Cannondale Quick CX 1
I will be riding on sidewalks some city worn roads and occasionally on dirt roads but no big rocks or roots and no jumping.
Can anyone give me some advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Farrowlane

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Hey there NeroJack!

I'd first like to remind you that we should always try to steer clear away from sidewalks, whenever possible. Also, it sounds as though most of your riding will be on pavement, or cement. Since you're not riding on dirt roads with any frequency, I would suggest that you select a bicycle without a suspension system at all. With no rocks, roots, crevices, and no jumping curbs or anything, why would you even need a suspension system at all.

I say, get either a hybrid or a road bike with a rigid fork. If you're mainly going to be commuting and riding short distances, like to the grocery store, etc..., then a hybrid should be more to your liking.

However, if you anticipate long rides in the saddle, possibly fifty or miles away from home or maybe even roundtrip, then perhaps a road bike might be more fitting.

OTOH, if you just like the bikes that you've already mentioned, then just get the Cannondale, because they don't make the Accend anymore.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 956 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i love the heck out of my specialized hybrid. i just converted it to drop bars and did 26 miles today with my son. i feel like i could do it again right now.

i have the solid forks and zero suspension on my bike and i love it. the tires are thick enough that they absorb a lot of the bumps my road bike skinny tires would transmit to my wrists. it makes the rides so much nicer. giant and cannondale are both super nice bikes so sit on them and run them around the parking lot. which ever feels better on your wrists and butt is the one i would go with

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
bjjoondo
Recreational and Utility Rider :)

Bikes

Liked 169 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurojack View Post
I've been looking at two bikes but still not sure which one is the 1.
It between the Giant Accend or the Cannondale Quick CX 1
I will be riding on sidewalks some city worn roads and occasionally on dirt roads but no big rocks or roots and no jumping.
Can anyone give me some advice.
Either bike is a GREAT machine for your purposes of riding, as stated, riding on sidewalks is not the best idea but IF you have to, remember, peds have the right a way and keep a eagle eye our for drivers coming out of driveways and NOT looking when backing up!!

I like the Giant Accend better than the Quick CX 1, the quick seems a bit more "hard core dirt", jmho. the Accend looks like a better "all arounder" machine. Having a little suspension on "worn city streets" is nice and this bike seems set up nicely. As stated either will be a LOT of FUN to ride, so TEST RIDE both and let your feelings tell you which one FITS better, then ENJOY!

B.J. Ondo
2011 Jamis Allegro 1: Fitness Hybrid/Utility
Take care, Ride Safe, have FUN!:D

Buffalo-jon Likes This 

Quick Reply