You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > opinions and thoughts on Carriers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
HandsomeRyan
♥'s Bicycles

Liked 48 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That said, good luck getting fully reimbursed for replacement costs. I'd imagine most insurance companies would have a hard time believing that the replacement cost for just my rear rack (not counting the value of the bicycles that are on it) is almost $300.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get it appraised then. I was looking at things. If you have a bank loan you have to report the modification to the bank and the insurance company. Other wise they say your s.o.l

Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
HandsomeRyan
♥'s Bicycles

Liked 48 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by funetical View Post
Get it appraised then. I was looking at things. If you have a bank loan you have to report the modification to the bank and the insurance company. Other wise they say your s.o.l
Why would I have to report it to my insurance company? If another driver destroys my property through their negligence it would go on their insurance, not mine.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1124 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Check out Yakima's new trailer rack.

Brian, did you see this at Interbike?

Interbike 2009 - New Yakima Roof, Hitch, Spare and Trailer Bicycle Racks Bike Rumor

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
vitapimp

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
That said, good luck getting fully reimbursed for replacement costs. I'd imagine most insurance companies would have a hard time believing that the replacement cost for just my rear rack (not counting the value of the bicycles that are on it) is almost $300.
receipts are wonderful proofs of cost.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
snowbird

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitapimp View Post
i would get the cradle style.

i have a hitch cargo rack and a buddy who welds. i am going to ask him to fab up something out of any scrap metal that he has so i can attach it to my cargo rack and then strap my bike to it. i figure two metal braces to hold the front tire in place and a few quick fist clamps should do the trick. something similar to what hophead posted.
I just made a hitch mount bike rack copying (to the best of my ability) the Yakima design that Xela posted here on page 2.
It's an absolutely ingenious design. It captures the front wheel, holding the bike, and the rear wheel holder is positioned to kind of pull the front wheel back into the cradle.
It's so easy to load. Yakima advertizes "loads in 10 seconds". Just pick up the bike and drop it in. The one I saw had a little strap around the rear wheel to keep it from popping out if you go over a bump.
I particularly like that the only part of the bike that touches the carrier is the tires, so there's no rubbing or scraping the paint.

The one I built came out specific to our bicycles. One with 26" wheels, the other 28" wheels. It's a dual carrier and the bikes can't interchange. I'm sure Yakima's is adjustable or designed better for multiple bike sizes.

Building mine I found out that the hold points on the front wheel have to be pretty high to be effective. And the single hold point on the rear wheel has to be high enough to pull the bike back putting pressure on the front wheel. But not so high it hits the bike frame.
Your carrier will probably come out spcific to your bike too. By the time you take into account the wheel size, wheelbase and tire size, pretty much only the one bike is going to fit. (my experience)
I built mine out of 1/2" pipe and 5/16" steel rod. (junk I had on hand). the only out of pocket cost was $7 for a can of hammer finish paint from Lowe's.
Good luck with your project.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 2486 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
I just made a hitch mount bike rack copying (to the best of my ability) the Yakima design that Xela posted here on page 2.
It's an absolutely ingenious design. It captures the front wheel, holding the bike, and the rear wheel holder is positioned to kind of pull the front wheel back into the cradle.
It's so easy to load. Yakima advertizes "loads in 10 seconds". Just pick up the bike and drop it in. The one I saw had a little strap around the rear wheel to keep it from popping out if you go over a bump.
I particularly like that the only part of the bike that touches the carrier is the tires, so there's no rubbing or scraping the paint.

The one I built came out specific to our bicycles. One with 26" wheels, the other 28" wheels. It's a dual carrier and the bikes can't interchange. I'm sure Yakima's is adjustable or designed better for multiple bike sizes.

Building mine I found out that the hold points on the front wheel have to be pretty high to be effective. And the single hold point on the rear wheel has to be high enough to pull the bike back putting pressure on the front wheel. But not so high it hits the bike frame.
Your carrier will probably come out spcific to your bike too. By the time you take into account the wheel size, wheelbase and tire size, pretty much only the one bike is going to fit. (my experience)
I built mine out of 1/2" pipe and 5/16" steel rod. (junk I had on hand). the only out of pocket cost was $7 for a can of hammer finish paint from Lowe's.
Good luck with your project.
You got a photo we could see

Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
vitapimp

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
You got a photo we could see
x2 snowbird. some pics would be cool.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
snowbird

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitapimp View Post
x2 snowbird. some pics would be cool.
Thanks. I'll work on that, but it's supposed to rain here till Sunday.

Quick Reply