Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Puncture resistant tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Grenouille
Grenouille

Bikes

Liked 27 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Puncture resistant tires

Any downsides to these, apart from higher price and a little extra weight?

(I held some at my LBS last weekend, the difference in tire weight is less than the difference in my weight before vs. after thanksgiving turkey tomorrow).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
newleaf150

Liked 2086 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 4934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
Any downsides to these, apart from higher price and a little extra weight?

(I held some at my LBS last weekend, the difference in tire weight is less than the difference in my weight before vs. after thanksgiving turkey tomorrow).
Do you have specific brands in mind? Most tires have some level of flat protection, some obviously much more than others.

My Continental Touring Plus tires in 700cx42 are advertised to include enhanced puncture resistance. They're definitely much heavier-duty and just plain heavier than the stockers - I think they were Conti CityRide make, but not certain.

I add to the tires' protection by running Slime in my tubes. Between the two, I don't flat much, but still carry 2x spare un-slimed tubes + patch kit 'cause Slimed tubes cannot be patched.

The extra weight is far less important to me than is my ability to go out for a ride without having to worry about flatting along the way. Even though I mostly ride pavement, the local stickers (goat heads) are absolutely brutal on tires/tubes, even those which clame puncture-resistance.

That said, adding any mass to your wheels is a special case due to the wheels' rotation, which ends up magnifying the effect of the extra weight. It can be significant.

For my part, I find flats otherwise slow me down much more than heavier tires and a bit of Slime can. Others are horrified at the idea of even an extra ounce of rotating mass. Who's right? Who's bike is it, and who is the cyclist? The question is one which has no 'one size fits all' answer.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Grenouille
Grenouille

Bikes

Liked 27 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No specific brands in mind.

But now that you mention it, the LBS guy first showed me several with no treads--completely slick. Made me worry a bit about traction. What's up with that?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Hazy

Liked 796 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Ever seen racing tires? On a dry surface "slicks" give a better grip as there is more surface area grabbing the road.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3240 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 3329

Specialized Nimbus get high marks, except for when they come apart. Armadillos are highly rated as well. And the Maxxis Fuse got a great review by one of our members.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
DirtyBobbysBikes
Rollin Solo like Han...

Bikes

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've been on the SBC armadillo bandwagon for years. They're hefty but pretty darn strong. I get a fair amount of freebie tires but the next set I actually buy will likely be ultra gatorskins as i've heard tons of good things about them. They're said to be just as strong as a dillo only lighter and more supple. The dillos are a heavy stiff tire. I recently cut one pretty good which i'll be replacing with a vittoria rando on the rear and perhaps a throw down dillo elite on the front. Schwable is said to make some pretty durable tires as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4963 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 10041

I've run cheaper tires, namely the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro slicks for over 3k miles with no trouble at all, I have a set of Pro 3s I bought on the cheap as spares and my new bike has Giant P-R3 slicks that may be trump the Zaffiro Pros.

I like to get a set of Schwalbe road tires for hte reflective strips they have.

On the hybrid I run Kenda KwickTrack and they've easily bested my wife's Specialized tires; 2 punctures for her, 0 for me.

I think you assessment of weight difference being negligible is spot for for "real world" riding. The weight weenies may cringe at this, but take a good dump before or after a ride and you'll have lost more doing that than putting light tires on your bike.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 931 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I will take aired up tires over light weight tires any day of the week. I can ride aired up tires. When you are pushing light weight flat tires. They weigh way more then aired up heavy ones

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2
newleaf150 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
John_V

Bikes

Liked 3502 Times on 1942 Posts
Likes Given: 3947

My Gatorskins are 700x25 beaded tires which weigh more than the foldable tires. I would rather have the protection and a more comfortable ride than lighter, slightly faster tires.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3240 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
I think you assessment of weight difference being negligible is spot for for "real world" riding. The weight weenies may cringe at this, but take a good dump before or after a ride and you'll have lost more doing that than putting light tires on your bike.
Rotating weight is different than bowel weight.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.

Quick Reply