Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Review of thesufferfest videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1124 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Review of thesufferfest videos

Just in case your standard indoor workouts are getting a little old, I thought I'd mention this.

Bought and used this video yesterday. Let me say it was 1 hour of the most fun misery I've ever had on the rollers.

This video, and the other on the site, are available for $9.49 with no tax or shipping. You download the video right after purchase, and you're ready to roll.

The video starts out with some cool helmet-cam downhill MTB footage during the warm-up. After that, the warm-up ratchets up a notch during which you are seeing footage from a crit.

The two main sets of intervals are descending intervals where you do 2 min on/2 off, 1:45 on/1:45 off, 1:30 on/1:30 off, etc all the way to 15 sec on/15 sec off. During the first set, the intervals are done with officially licensed race footage from last year's Paris-Roubaix. The video does an excellent job of keeping you motivated, and when they want to make sure you're really working it, they'll throw in footage of a breakaway starting and have you go catch it. You even get to have a one-on-one duel with Boonen over the cobbles. I think I took him. In between intervals, there is more footage of the crit to keep your legs spinning.

After the first set of descending intervals, there is a 5 minute break (you'll want all of that) followed by a repeat of the above described set with the race footage this time coming from Fleche-Wallone. These intervals feature more "climbing" and have you out of the saddle in places.

I think this is about the hardest I have ever worked on the rollers. But, that said, the legs feel great today indicating that the video really works you, but doesn't just grind you into the ground.

The soundtrack is excellent and flows nicely with the intervals. The instructions on the screen are easy to understand and the intensity is listed as perceived exertion with the descending intervals being 9.5 and 10/10. There are also audible clues letting you know when to watch the screen for instructions and when the interval is over.

Here's where you can find some more info on the product. I'll probably order their second video today.

The Sufferfest - Cycling Traning Video, DVD, Podcast and Workout Resource

Bikerumor | All The Best Cycling News, Tech, Rumors and Reviews!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
TxCyclist
Administrator
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 226 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Great review. Do you have any images of your setup? Curious to see what your riding station looks like.

Not a Member Yet? Register Here!

Please help out and answer an unanswered thread.
Unanswered Threads

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Wife's kind enough to overlook the rollers that have been a semi-permanent fixture on the tile between the kitchen and dining area. I set up the rollers and have a fan in front of me. If I'm doing a DVD video, I'll just watch the TV in the living room from where I am. If I'm doing a workout like this one that needs the laptop, I set it on a step stool in front of me. I'll take a picture next time and post it.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Did The Sufferfest Double today

The Sufferfest group threw down a challenge to me the other day on Twitter (@thesufferfest); do The Sufferfest Double. The Double is doing both of their videos back to back.

Fight Club, which I did first, is longer interval work at 7 and 8/10 efforts with short, high intensity attacks thrown in. I know that WhyEyeBike is planning on doing this video Monday night, so maybe I'll wait and let him write up his thoughts on it to keep this thread diverse. I will say that the footage of Cancellara destroying the others in the World Time Trial Championship last year was amazing. You almost feel sorry for the guys he's passing, since he makes it look so easy.

Doing the two videos back-to-back was definitely tough, but I'm glad I did. I think doing the slightly lower intensity, longer duration intervals of Fight Club was the way to go since The Downward Spiral's intervals are 9.5 and 10/10.

The music on both of these videos is great at driving the pace, as is the video chosen. You really get the feeling of being right there in the mix.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
whyeyebike

Bikes

I got thrown off schedule this week so I won't be hitting Fight Club until these evening. Review to follow......

Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The downward spiral? Is that a Nine Inch Nails Reference?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
whyeyebike

Bikes

So I finally got a chance to try out thesufferfest.com "Fight Club" last night and it was truely a sufferfest. I love the beginning when you get the disclaimer that reads, "This video uses terms like 'pain,' 'suffering,' and so on. This is purely for entertainment - we do not recommend you experience these or similar sensations." Well I felt some pain, you know the good pain; like your really working your muscles, including the heart.

So here goes the review....

You start off with a light 5-6 minute warm up at a low intensity with video of someone with a cruiser, sporting a very nice basket. The video at this point is a little grainy, but you get the jist and its kind of humorous. Trust me when I say, take this opportunity to warm up. They do a good job of giving you direction on what your intensity levels should be, plus they use some good sound affects to let you know when to ramp it up, or tone it down. And the music is top notch. Not exactly something I would listen to on a regular basis, but works well as background noise to help keep the cadence up.

From hear, you go on to Lap 1; which is really a boost in the warm up to get your heart rate pumping. Laps 2-5 put in a nice TT section, followed by climbing, then a nice long decent which is used as your recovery. Be careful on the decent....you get in to it and you might fall off your trainer/rollers. I found myself leaning into some of the turns.

The video footage they use is simply awesome. Unlike the warm up, its good quality. I am a big fan of riders like Bradley Wiggins, Tony Martin. Cadel Evens and Fabio Cancellara so do be able to follow them during actual TT efforts really gets you motivated.

If your the type of person that will put your trainer in front of the TV during the Giro, Vuelta or TdF and go to town; you will really like this video.

I am looking forward to downloading The Downward Spiral and giving that one a shot. And I will try the Sufferfest Double as well.

If your looking for something to get you out of a trainer/roller rut....try this video.

The Sufferfest - "The Downward Spiral" and/or "Fight Club"

Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyeyebike View Post
"This video uses terms like 'pain,' 'suffering,' and so on. This is purely for entertainment - we do not recommend you experience these or similar sensations."
I get the feeling lawyers were involved in the decision to put that on there.

Great review! I agree with all of that.

You won't be disappointed with The Downward Spiral. It'll kick you hard, but there's some great footage of Paris-Roubaix and Fleche-Wallone. The music is more alt-rock than Fight Club, but it also goes perfectly with the video.

Thanks for the review!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
whyeyebike

Bikes

So I finally picked up the "Downward Spiral" last night....I have it on the menu for this evening after work. I have a bad (good) feeling about this one.......

Think the weekend might be a good time to try the double!!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyeyebike View Post
So I finally picked up the "Downward Spiral" last night....I have it on the menu for this evening after work. I have a bad (good) feeling about this one.......

Think the weekend might be a good time to try the double!!!!!
For me, it's the harder of the two. But I've always been better at long, sustained intervals at 80 to 90% than shorter intervals at 100% (OK, so the video says you only have to work some of them at 9.5/10, but I can't tell the difference between 9.5 and 10/10).

I did the double again this past Saturday. Seemed harder this time than the first time I did it. I eliminated the rest interval at the end of Fight Club and went straight to the warm-up for The Downward Spiral. Nearly puked when I got off the bike to switch the videos. Also, again during this double, my legs nearly gave up on the second 1:45 interval in The DS when you're racing with Moreau. Definitely a workout you're proud of when you finish!

Tags
sufferfest, downward spiral, fight club, revolver, sufferfest.com, training, indoor cycling, winter, rollers, trainers

Quick Reply