Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Save what sanity I have left with a brake issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5485 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 10858

Save what sanity I have left with a brake issue

Cannot for the life of me figure this one out. MY google-fu turns up no useful information.

105 dual pivot calipers, during a drivetrain cleaning I lubed the pivot points with tri-flow. Was a bit, eh, heavy handed with the tri-flow.

Anyway, once I had everything buttoned up, squeezed the rear brake a few times, nice and silky smooth.

Bike sat for a week and was working on another bike and just to see if it the brake was a smooth as before, squeezed the lever and was getting a clicking noise with resistance in the lever. Hmm. The brake didn't feel as smooth at all.

Did some poking around and the noise is most likely coming from the caliper; it sounds like the spring is clicking. Before I go through with a caliper dissasembly, is it plausible that the spring is dislodged in it 2 contact point housings?

I checked the mounting bolt, all is tight, cable seems to be okay where it enters the rear housing.....

Google only turns up brake squeal and didn't have much luck with Sheldon's site or Park Tool. . . .

thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
davereo

Bikes

Liked 3522 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 3499

Is the little black bushing that the spring goes through still intact?

I lube my calipers (105) everytime I lube my chain and have never had that issue.

Once this is resolved please share.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Dave-

pretty close to the mark.

I solved it in about 3 minutes once I cleared my head.

I had pulled the brake cable out of the stop, slid the housing around, lubed it etc and then operated the caliper by hand and it was still making the noise. I also did the same there where the housing meets the caliper along with the rear barrel nut adjuster. I was pretty sure that I now had eliminated the cable at this point in time as the culprit.

I was 99.9% sure that it was the spring, just not sure what it was with the spring. I ended up feelng with my right hand a sort of "grind/grit" sensation when the caliper moved. Being that I am not hesitant to ride my bike in less than ideal condition (sucky pavement, bad weather, questionable surfaces) I was convinced there had to be some kind of grit somewhere in the caliper mechanism. I cleaned out the pivot points with no results so I ended up dripping some WD40 through the top of the black plastic spring bushing, squeezed the caliper a few times and presto, no more noise. I followed up with 2 drop of lube and all is good.

I had a bazillion miles on my Synapse (Tektro brakes as it was a Synapse 5 alloy) and never, ever had that problem (but also only rode it when it was picture perfect outside minus temperature). So, lesson learned and gained some experience in the process.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Merlincustom

Liked 961 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Before you solved it, I was about to say the brake went into anaphylactic shock from OD'ing on tri-flow. Do you think the excess tri-flow flushed the grit to where it got lodged where you could hear/feel it?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Merlin-

Without a doubt. Not havin ga rear fender and riding through a bunch of junk certainly allowed a lot of grime and grit to get in there. I flushed the caliper first with water and then some isopropryl alcohol, the triflow, rather than using a dripper bottle i used my aerosol can sans straw.

What I didn't realize inthe beginning was that the arm of the spring slides through that plastic bushing, once I saw that it dawned on me.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Merlincustom

Liked 961 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Raceblade Long fenders are pretty nice.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

actually have a set of raceblades on order; the PDW Full Metal Fenders won't fit my frame due to the tight clearance between the "chainstay bridge" and my tire on the TCR; the raceblades should do the trick.

Quick Reply