Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Trek 7.6 fx or Fuji Absolute 1.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
telliemj

Trek 7.6 fx or Fuji Absolute 1.0

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to biking and I am in the middle of an endless search for the right bike for me. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Fuji Absolute 1.0 or the Trek 7.6 FX. I am looking for peoples opinions on the differences between them.

What I think I have learned is that the rear derailler, chain, and cassette (all shimano 105) for the Absolute is better that the components on the trek. The prices for these bikes are within $10 of eachother. The crank (FSA Gossamer) for the Absolute is a little better than the (FSA vero) for the trek. I really do not know which bike wins in the front derailler category due to the fact that Fuji doesnt use a normal product name for the front derailler (Shimano FD-R773). The trek is a Deore which I believe is a mountain bike derailler. Some people say that the disk brakes are better but other say that the disks on this bike are entry level at best and therefore your better off with the v-brakes. I have heard good things about the Avid BB7's which are not on either of these bikes. Does anyone know if they use the same mounts as the disk brakes on the Fuji? If they do what else would I need to do to convert them? Any thoughts on that?

I think I like the 50T to 11T capability of the trek over the 50T to 12T of the Fuji but I don't know whether it really makes a difference? As far as benifits for Trek the reputation is good and I dont know much about Fuji's reputation. Any thoughts? Also I think I like the Iso-zone Monostay of the Trek frame because even know this will be primarily a road bike, the roads here are not the greatest. Anyone have any feedback on these frames (problems, cracking, noise, etc.)? I have test ridden the trek 7.6 fx but only for a little ways in a parking lot and I think I could tell a difference in the frame from the 7.5 FX but it was hard to tall. I also think the wheels and tires for the trek would be better due to the fact that they have hardcase tires that are 120 psi rated for a smoother ride? Anythoughts on the seats? Part of me thinks that whatever bike I buy, I will need a different seat but another part of me thinks that the iso flex seat on the trek may work for me. I have not tried the seat on the absolute. I realize that some of you may think I am buying a bike that is a little extreme for me seeing as how I am just gettting started in biking really but I am only 24 and I figure I can justify the expense with how long I plan on keeping it. I am sorry to write so much but I have a lot of questions because I am going to be spending so much on this bike. If anyone has any other bikes for me to consider please feel free to comments.

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7.6 FX is the site for the trek 7.6 fx which will show all the specs including the ones I already wrote about.

Fuji Bikes - Absolute 1.0 is the site for the Fuji Absolute 1.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
jagonz456

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

trek 7.6 and fuji 1.0

The price on the fuji 1.0 should be a lot cheaper than the trek. the fuji should be around $900. I have been looking at both these bikes the Fuji has better road bike components it a 10 speed the trek is a 9 speed. If you like these bikes you should also look at the giant rapid 1 / Felt 30 / Marin alp mill valley you cant go wrong with any of these bikes. I like the feel of the Fuji I am 6'3 and the 23 frame was the best fit out of all. I tried the trek but the components of the fuji are just better you would have to go with the trek 7.7 to get the same components that the fuji is giving you without the high price tag. Ride everything and compare specs online Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
telliemj

Thanks

That is very good input and thank you. As far as the price though I don't see a big difference (around $10). The 7.6 Fx trek is $1100 and the Fuji was quoted to me for $1089. My other problem is that none of the dealers around me have an absolute 1.0 and none of them want to buy one for stock seeing as how it is almost an $1100 bike. I really can not jusify spending that kind of money on something without trying it first so the Fuji is out. I have ridden the Giant Rapid 2 and I really liked it. I really just don't know if I want the Iso-Zone frame or not. It is hard for me to tell exactly how much it would do for me by just going on a short ride in a parking lot. As far as the Giant Rapid 1 i don't know the I would like the compact crank set (34t/50t). Since none of these bikes come stock with a carbon fiber seat post I have kicked around the idea of buying the Rapid 2 and puting a carbon fiber seat post on it to try and dampen some of the road vibration out that way but I dont know if that will do much compared to the Iso-zone. If it did it would be good to know cuz i could save over $200.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
jagonz456

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fyi

FYI you should be able to take out any bike for a test ride. If the bike shop doesn’t allow you to go on a real bike ride (not a ride in the parking lot) you need to find another bike shop. It’s a general practice for them to take ID and a credit card on hold for you to go on a test ride. You also need to be cautious of any bike shop that won’t order a bike for you. Most bike shops are on what’s called a net 30 so basically they can order any bike brand that they stock and not pay for it. So no bike shop is going to get stuck with a bike because you don’t like it. If it’s between the 30 days they can send it back to the manufacturer. If you want to compare the front derailleur of the Fuji 1.0 Shimano FD-R773 you can see them on the higher end trek the 7.7 ($1,800) it has the same components as the Fuji 1.0($1,000) they both have the 10 speed Shimano group set. As you ride more you are going to want the Shimano 105 (10 speed). Fuji are great bikes and so are the Treks they both have a lifetime warranty on the frame but you really need to take a look at what you are getting for your money

Last edited by jagonz456; 12-10-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
telliemj

Haha that is interesting that you say that about the dealers because it seems like everyone I have asked wouldn't order something if I didn't tell them I was going to buy it. I will ask someother LBS's right after christmas (when I can afford to spend the money). My problem with Fuji is that I have called 5 different dealers and none of them would buy the bike without me saying I would deffinitely buy it first. Those 5 dealers are the only dealers around me so I pretty much have given up on them and I would like my bike in January and it looks like the new Absolute 1.0 wont be out tell atleast febuary and March.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Giant Rapid 1.0, The Rapid 2.0 or the 2009 Trek 7.6 FX because it has betters components and looks than the 2010 model.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
telliemj

Resolution

Just to let everyone know, I ordered my 2009 trek 7.6 FX and it should be coming in today!! Due to the fact that it is a 2009 I got a little bit off of the price while taking advantage of the better components on the 2009 than the 2010. I look forward to letting everyone know how it does. Next I will be looking for a Cyclometer and I think I will eventually get a Kurt Kinetics Fluid Trainer.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
jagonz456

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

enjoy your bike

This is great news. enjoy the bike.If you have an Iphone I would hold off buying a bike computer. The iphone has a few apps that give you all the function of a bike computer and more using the build in GPS you can also upload your rides to a website or post them on facebook. I am still shopping I really liked the Absolute 1.0 but I test road the Giant Rapid 0 and this bike looks great and has all the components that i want. It comes with shimano 105 and ultegra crank (105 in the website) and the mavic wheels are sick. The bike shop is letting me have it for $1100 so it’s a done deal. I am also picking up a dash for my girlfriend. So in the end I am going with Team Giant.

Last edited by jagonz456; 01-08-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
telliemj

Damn that is a great deal for the Rapid 0!! I really liked the rapid but I wanted the Rapid 1 except for the fact that I didn't like the Compact Crank it had on it. As far as the Absolute 1.0 I was thinking about getting it but there were some problems. First I could not find a dealer around me that had one and I also couldnt find one that was willing to get one in so that I could try it without putting 25% down on it first. Second the pictures of the frame looked like it was heavy and clunky. If you look at the trek and giant frames they use hydroformed tubing that allows them to manipulate the tubing and make the frames lighter and still strong. This may just be my perception but its what I am sticking with. I liked the idea of disk brakes but I didn't like the fact that they were such a low end disk brake (I looked at reviews of those disks and many people said they would rather have stock v-brakes) and they didnt look like they would be out till february. Everything considered I got a Carbon Fork, Carbon Seatpost, Isozone Frame, Decent Components (Tiagra) and hardcase tires for $1025 plus tax. I would say your deal is better but the lbs that I bought this from doesnt stock bikes that are this high end so they had to order it from trek.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 2224 Times on 1039 Posts
Likes Given: 705

Well I wen't to the LBS to see if the Absolute 1.0 came in yet, not yet thay are telling me 2nd or 3rd week of Feb. I rode a 2.0 a wile back and I realy liked it so I am waiteing on 2010 1.0. I wonder if anyone has road a Absolute 2010 1.0 or evan seen one up close.
Good luck with your new bike and let us know how it rides.

Last edited by wild; 01-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
jagonz456

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fuji absolute 1.0

Nobody has the Fuji Absolute. This is a Big problem, Like I said before I was in the market for the Fuji but now I am going with the Giant rapid 0 you should take a look at the rapids they are very light and have better molded frames. The price is not that much more (1100) and your getting really good components. The wheels/seat/crank/pedals are better on the giant. I don't understand why a bike company wouldn't make their bikes available before the holiday season.

Quick Reply