Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Tubeless road wheels worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
mtnbikerva1

Tubeless road wheels worth it?

Pluses and minuses?
Is there a clear winner in quality, ride, handling, sprinting, shock absorption, not a pain to mount tire...
Tubeless tire of choice?

Ride on my friend :)
Love my motorcycles and bicycles.
KTM 300XC is all smiles. Riding the KTM gives me the feeling of what it must be like to be on Crack without the side effects!
Ellsworth Truth :)
Litespeed Obed :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4289 Times on 2321 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

Like any tubeless, they are harder to mount than a tubed tire; think of it like putting a tire on the Katoom and then mounting a tubeless on a R1200GS. You'll have stiffer sidewalls for sure!

I do not have experience on cycling tubeless, but I may switch at some point due to the reduced puntures inherent in tubeless.

I am happy with tubes, easy peasy, especially compared to swapping a tube on a KLR or DRZ400!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 935 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I'm running them. I have the Campy Shamal wheels that allow me to run tubed or tubeless. The ride quality of the Hutchinson Fusion 3s is phenomenal, but so is the price. Retail for around 100 bucks a tire. If you shop around, about the best deal you'll find is low 70s. I rotate mine every 700 to 1000 miles and usually get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set. These are the only tires I have ran. I'm not sure how some of the others compare.

But, mounting them used to be a huge pain. I say used to be, because the Prestalevers have made it much easier. See my review of the levers here. I highly recommend getting some if you go tubeless.

I still carry a tube with me out on the road, and if I flat the tubeless, I simply install the tube and ride home. I've had two flats in about 6000 miles on the tubeless. One was a hard hit to the sidewall, and the other was on a tire that I really should have changed already.

Let me know any other specific questions you might have.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 4678 Times on 2729 Posts
Likes Given: 4525

Considering it and trying to talk myself out of it. I want to try on my MTB first. Looking at using Stan's Notubes for all the advantages but I think the disadvantages out weigh in this case.

Cons - High(er) maintenance of having to refill with sealant periodically could/might outweigh the cost of tubes. If you would ever ride to the point of drop in the L.P. would suck on the road for sure I'm guessing. Point in case. Last group MTB ride was a 5 mile road ride ( where these guys averaged 17 mph down the road ) and then back would have been a PITA I'm guessing with that low pressure.

Pros - the obvious lower pressure, increased traction, better ride quality. Can't decide.

Anybody have anything to add to the Pros of doing it ?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4289 Times on 2321 Posts
Likes Given: 8785

It's as close to being spayed as you'll ever get?

I mean when else can you say to a potential suitor named Stan "Hey Stan, no tubes!"

Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
erk

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

I live in the southwest. Goat heads are everywhere. I soon as the tire hits the road I get a flat. I have to use extra thick and liners, but they are heavy with wheel spin. Will tubeless solve my issue?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2627 Times on 1442 Posts
Likes Given: 2657

I know of a cyclist out in Tucson who swears by Maxxis Re-Fuse. He claims the best protection against goat heads he has ever used.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3116 Times on 1881 Posts
Likes Given: 3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereo View Post
I know of a cyclist out in Tucson who swears by Maxxis Re-Fuse. He claims the best protection against goat heads he has ever used.

Y'all make this so easy. Another one of our members swears by them too. Read about them here.

In that big lot of parts I bought, I found a new set of Hutchinson Atom tubeless. Nice looking tires, but I have nothing to put them on.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1278 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post
I'm running them. I have the Campy Shamal wheels that allow me to run tubed or tubeless. The ride quality of the Hutchinson Fusion 3s is phenomenal, but so is the price. Retail for around 100 bucks a tire. If you shop around, about the best deal you'll find is low 70s. I rotate mine every 700 to 1000 miles and usually get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set. These are the only tires I have ran. I'm not sure how some of the others compare.

But, mounting them used to be a huge pain. I say used to be, because the Prestalevers have made it much easier. See my review of the levers here. I highly recommend getting some if you go tubeless.

I still carry a tube with me out on the road, and if I flat the tubeless, I simply install the tube and ride home. I've had two flats in about 6000 miles on the tubeless. One was a hard hit to the sidewall, and the other was on a tire that I really should have changed already.

Let me know any other specific questions you might have.
Xela,
Have you had any tears? I've heard the sealant will spray all over the bike if you get a tear and is very difficult to clean up. Thanks.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
bjjoondo
Recreational and Utility Rider :)

Bikes

Liked 168 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by synack View Post
Xela,
Have you had any tears? I've heard the sealant will spray all over the bike if you get a tear and is very difficult to clean up. Thanks.
Even when using a "tube" and sealant, if you get a larger puncture, (nail or screw) and you've got a higher pressure tire, the sealant makes a real MESS untill it seals!! I use tubes and True Goo sealant and yes, it get's all over the bike when it blows out! We have LOTS of Goat Head Throns here in So. Colorado so thicker rubber tires and sealant is a must or you'll be WALKING

B.J. Ondo
2011 Jamis Allegro 1: Fitness Hybrid/Utility
Take care, Ride Safe, have FUN!:D

synack Likes This 

Quick Reply