Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > tubular wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
caad10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello guys, what are the advantages of tubular tyres When they got puncture..are they repairable or disposable?

Thanks.

Caad10

Last edited by caad10; 10-29-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
retromike3
retromike3
Bikes

Liked 27 Times on 11 Posts

tubular tires

he question i have about tubular tires is are they worth the effort? I guess it depends. I really like the "feel" of the tubular tire, for me they seem to "dance" and I love the sound of kind of a zing zing zing while you'r riding. I have yet gotten a clincher tire that felt as fun as a tubular.

On the other hand they are a pain in the ass to fix if you get a flat. I have never tried to fix on on the road and probably never wil. luckily their light enough to where I can carry a couple of them strapped to the back of my saddle with a old toe clip strap.

lately i've been compromising, i've had my sew up on the front and the clincher on the back. The tire on the front is kevlar belted. luckily i got a really good deal on a set of sew ups that had a shorter valve stem and since most of my rims are really old they dont need to be so deep.

Last edited by retromike3; 10-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
retromike3
retromike3
Bikes

Liked 27 Times on 11 Posts

tubular's are not disposable, unless you're infinitely wealthy or sponsored with the support team behind you( highly unlikely)

Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
rola643
TwoJ

Bikes

Liked 4648 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 4482

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike3 View Post
On the other hand they are a pain in the ass to fix if you get a flat. I have never tried to fix on on the road and probably never wil. luckily their light enough to where I can carry a couple of them strapped to the back of my saddle with a old toe clip strap.
I don't so I am just asking but one of the guys I ride with just bought tubular and I was asking him about fixing a flat on the road. He said the ones he had bought ( and I have not seen them or know what brand) would accept a tube so he could get home. True????

Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
caad10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello guys,

Im back and I wanted to say thanks for all the inputs from you all. I guess I know now how tubular works against clincher type.

Thanks to all. By the way I am from philippines guys. If anyone of us here wanted to visit our country..just contact me and il be your guide.

Ciao.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
bkoconn

I have used Tufo tubulars for several years. The have a wide variety of models available. The make both good training and racing tyres.

I live in the high desert of New Mexico and we have a lot of grasses and brush that have stickers that take a toll on all tyres. One of the great things about Tufo tyres is that the presta core is removable allowing use of sealant. Tufo sells some which works well as does Stan's No Tube Sealant.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply