Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Upgrading my hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
jono

Upgrading my hybrid

Hey guys,

Ive got a 2008 scott p5 sportster and have been thinking recently about upgrading it. Ive been thinking about changing the forks to ones without suspension to speed up my rides, but im not really sure what is good? Any recommendations?

Ive also been thinking about getting new tyres, maybe the continental gp4000's. Are these any good? Any more recomendations?

Are there any more upgrades you guys might recommend?

Thanks for any help,
Jono

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
worthlees
Bikes

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Welcome aboard! I can't advise you on up grades, but plenty of knolagable riders who can.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
newleaf150

Liked 2324 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 5609

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Hey guys,

Ive got a 2008 scott p5 sportster and have been thinking recently about upgrading it. Ive been thinking about changing the forks to ones without suspension to speed up my rides, but im not really sure what is good? Any recommendations?

Ive also been thinking about getting new tyres, maybe the continental gp4000's. Are these any good? Any more recomendations?

Are there any more upgrades you guys might recommend?

Thanks for any help,
Jono
Welcome, Jono! What are you hoping to accomplish with the upgrades to your bike?

For speed, a lighter wheelset is a popular choice. Can affect comfort, too.

I've had fair luck with Conti tires - I run their Touring+ offering as my summer tires, and I've been pleased with them overall. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the model you referenced, though.

Going to rigid forks should help you put more power to the ground. It's always surprising to me to pass a hill-climber with suspension forks and see their front end bobbing madly with every pedal stroke. It can look cool, but as you're likely aware, every bob is wasted effort for the cyclist.

I'm not terribly familiar with fork-swapping, but I understand you need a special type of rigid fork to replace a suspended one in order to preserve your bike's geometry, which equates directly to handling. I'm sure one of our more expert members or your LBS can provide more useful specifics.

In terms of other upgrades, what type of bars do you run? If flat, bar ends are quite popular and offer a number of benefits.

What kind of mileage do you lay down? As always, we'd love to see pics of your ride.

It's good to have you on the site. Here's to many more happy, healthy miles!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
skycomag

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i have a hybrid gt traffic 4.0.
i'll be upgrading the front spockets to 52-42-30.
an upgrading the stock brakes to avid single digital 7.
i already changed my rear freewheel from 14-32 to 11-30, but might change this to a cassette . the cassette gears for a 7 speed are easier to find. i only found 1 place to get 7 sp. freewheel gears i also upgrade my seat post to a race face 27.2 evolve.
change tire from stock all purpose to forte metro-k 7900x 35 from performance.
inside the tire i got stop flat tire liners (similar to mr. tuffy).
an last of course a new saddle.

2011 GT TRAFFIC 4.0

Last edited by skycomag; 11-02-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: adding more info
qmsdc15 Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5484 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 10858

do you have pics of this with all of the changes?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
skycomag

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
do you have pics of this with all of the changes?
i haven't taken any new pics. this this season.

2011 GT TRAFFIC 4.0

Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
bjjoondo
Recreational and Utility Rider :)

Bikes

Liked 169 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 10

First, make SURE the non-suspension fork will actually "FIT" your bike so as not to change the stock geometry a lot!! I'd go for a "carbon fiber" fork, it's lighter and soakes up, road imperfections better than alum and lighter than steel. "Lighter wheel's" make a big difference but they can get expensive quickly, jmho and the Conti GPs are good tires, just make sure your "rims", can handle the "smaller width", I'd highly recommend, 700Cx28's, it's pretty thin but has much better, cushion than a x25 or x23, again, jmho. I'm thinking of changing out the "cro-mo steel fork on my Jamis Alegro 1 to a "carbon fiber" unit, but I'd like to find one that has the "mount holes" for the small racks that hold front panniners for tours. Let us know how your upgrade goes, pictures are appreciated!

B.J. Ondo
2011 Jamis Allegro 1: Fitness Hybrid/Utility
Take care, Ride Safe, have FUN!:D

Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
giantcfr1
Kyoto Member
Bikes

Liked 250 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 129

My hybrid has undergone many changes over the years but my latest desire is for it to be basically my "triple" flat bar road bike.
I have been introduced to some incredibly steep mountains lately which I cannot climb without stopping on my road bike.
I can do it with my current hybrid setup, but want to improve it's performance on the flats, so Santa is coming to the rescue.

Quick Reply