Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > General Bike Discussion > Using a tube patch on a tire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
John_V

Bikes

Liked 2765 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

Using a tube patch on a tire.

I did a search on this forum for this to see if anyone else has asked and only came up with 5 results, none of which answered my question.

About three weeks ago, I put new Ultra Gatorskins, front and rear, on my road bike and yesterday I got a flat on the rear. This afternoon, when I let out the CO2 from the new tube to replace it with air, I noticed two small, perfectly round holes that looked as if they were drilled in the tire. The holes also lined up with the hole in the tube. I removed the tire and took it down to the bike shop and they said it was from the factory and showed me other tires that have the same holes. Then we found the actual spot that was responsible for the flat, which I had not noticed from being fixated on the two holes.

I ended up getting a new tire because the gash was noticeable from the inside as well. Since this is a new tire, I asked if I could use a tube patch on the inside of the tire, where the gash is located, and use the tire as a backup. They said I shouldn't. I don't see any problems doing that if I am going to use it for a spare but I would like to hear what some of you guys think.

Thanks

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
newleaf150

Liked 1836 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 4181

I wouldn't be comfortable using a tube patch on a tire. Nowhere near tough enough, IMO. I would recommend a tire boot instead, but my understanding is that boots are only intended as an emergency 'get you somewhere you can buy a new tire' repair.

Also, though we ride completely different bikes and tires, I have yet to find pre-made holes in any of the 3 sets of tires (2 models of Conti and my winter Nokians) I've had on my bike thus far over 3k+mi.

I have PUT some holes in some of my tires with road debris, but they came free of such openings. That's pretty weird yours didn't.

In your place, I think I'd personally be most comfortable either chucking the 'holey' tire or using it on the trainer. I may admittedly also be seeing more danger in the situation that actually exists. I tend to get pretty uptight when I know I'm running on a 'holey' tire

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
cderalow

Bikes

Liked 414 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 69

might be able to use an automobile plug kit to properly plug the tire, though I'm not sure how well that would work. plugging car tires can be an art form, so I can't imagine how difficult it would be on a bike tire.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
John_V

Bikes

These are the two holes I mentioned in my first post. The photo is of the new tire I bought today and the holes are identical to the ones on the tire that had the flat and on the front tire that's on the bike. The guy at the LBS said that it's most likely from the mold during the vulcanizing process. Other new Gatorskins at the LBS also had these holes.

So you guys don't think that using a tube patch on the inside of the tire is a good idea even if the tire is going to be used as a spare?

HCFR Cycling Team

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 02-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
katz

Liked 197 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 267

I think an internal patch properly applied would work just fine. Auto tire plugs will not work on a bike tire, BTW.

"If my Uncle had wheels and pedals he'd be a bicycle"

rynoman03 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1691 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3064

They make tire patches. How do you think a tire shop patch's a tire. Use one of them!

You just gotta make sure the contact area is clean of any debris. Rough the area up use contact cement like patch goo and put it down.

I see no problems with patching a tire. Esp if it's a spare.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Merlincustom

Liked 730 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 212

I'm thinking a patch will still let those two small portions of the tube pop through the tire at pressure. Inflate and see; maybe it won't come through. I doubt you'd have a blow out, maybe just a flat. That said, i would only try it on the rear. Not sure what you mean by "spare" in your example. Once you put it on, isn't it on for good?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
John_V

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlincustom View Post
I'm thinking a patch will still let those two small portions of the tube pop through the tire at pressure. Inflate and see; maybe it won't come through. I doubt you'd have a blow out, maybe just a flat. That said, i would only try it on the rear. Not sure what you mean by "spare" in your example. Once you put it on, isn't it on for good?
I replace my tires every 5-6,000 miles. Although there is still good rubber on the tires, there is no thread showing and they are still good for a quite a few more miles. The replaced tires, front and back, go in the shed and I use them as spares. If one of the new tires that's on the bike gets cut up to the point that it needs replacing, I use one of the spare tires on it until I can get to the shop and replace it. I like to stick with products what works for me. I really like my 25 cm Gatorskins and I prefer the beaded vs the foldable tires because of the thicker sidewalls. There is only one LBS, out of the four that are near me, that stock them. The other shops carry the foldable ones but have to order the beaded tires. By having the spares, I can ride my bike while waiting to get the replacement tire. I also take the spare tires on all of my 100K+ charity rides, especially those out of town, so if I, or a teammate, have to replace a tire, I have one with me.

HCFR Cycling Team

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Merlincustom

Liked 730 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 212

That's pretty limited use, so I don't see a real problem. But if you give the holey tire for a friend to use in a pinch, point it out to him, let him make the call, and be prepared to get sued by him when he has a blow out and face plants

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 1424 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I would put a tire liner in the tire and some shooe gooe in the hole and ride it till it wore out
I am cheap

Last edited by wild; 02-05-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply