Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic > Any F1 fans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1034 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 891

Any F1 fans?

I ask that because Spa is my favorite track on the current calendar. So, I'm super-excited about this weekend! Got some special Belgian brews chilling in the fridge for qualifying and the race.

Though F1 racing is my absolute favorite, I basically like all racing that is not on an oval. And this weekend has plenty with the Rolex Series, ALMS, and MotoGP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
mtndoc

Bikes

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a long time F1 fan, think it is an acquired taste in this country. Kinda miss Michael S., but Hamilton is fun to watch. What channel is it on, I haven't been payin enough attention, but things are kinda upside down this year, very cool!!!

btw, the Nascar Nationwide Series is in Canada, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, definately not an oval, but I like ovals too.

Will be interesting how many views and replies this thread gets.

DrB

Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Live on Speed at 6:30 am CST tomorrow. Yep, that's 4:30 am your time.

Huge Schumi fan. Was super-excited when it was looking like he was going to be the sub for the injured Massa a few weeks back. But those dang motorcycles kept him from it.

I'll post some pics of some of my Schumi collection later. Got some cool things!

Last edited by Xela; 08-31-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
mtndoc

Bikes

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Forgot to set my recorder, dam missed the race...oh well, only thing I get up that early for is the TOF, drives my wife nuts...lol

Yeah, I was hopeful for MS also, but disappointed he didn't come back..
DrB

Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

You missed a heck of a race! I'm sure you've read about it by now. Kimi was awesome! Wonder who Ferrari will put in for Monza. I can't believe they will keep Badoer in the car.

Here's a pic of one piece of my Ferrari memoribilia. It's a pitlane suit from an electrical engineer, Tad Czapski, from around 2000. MS signed it. I built the mannequin for it out of PVC and cotton stuffing. The head is a styrofoam hairpiece holder. Sorry for the low quality. I took it with my phone. My digital camera battery is dead.

I personally have gotten Michael's autograph twice at the USGP. There's a great story to go along with the first one. I have paid for it two other times. One is the pit suit, the other is a numbered edition lithograph.

img00346.jpg
Click for larger view.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
bob1964

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Loved F1 back in the days of Prost, Mansell and arguably the greatest driver of all time Senna ....now that should spark a debate

Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

I have only been following F1 since about 1993. At that point, finding coverage of F1 in Arkansas was pretty difficult. So, unfortunately I didn't get to see too much of Senna before his death.

I do enjoy finding footage of the early days of F1. As one announcer said, "Back when the tires were skinny and the driver's were fat." Love watching Fangio, Clark, Moss, etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
bob1964

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I lived in England in the 80,s and early 90,s and seen the F1 races at Brands Hatch , those were some amazing races

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Grape Ape
Younger than Hack

Bikes

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I always thought that the formula 1 cars were one tweak from exploding. It seems they are built as light as possible and stressed to the max and one more ounce of stress or a little bit applied in a bit of a different direction will have it just failing in an explosive way.

I am more for the heavy duty stuff. Baja, rock racing, anything that looks like it could hold it's own in a demolition derby.

You have to go up in order to come down. Why is the up part always so steep?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
mtndoc

Bikes

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Xela, you are a BIG F1 fan, I have watched F1 since Hobbs, Stewart and the rest from that era, didn't get much media coverage where I was then, only newsprint. I like to watch just about anything you can put an engine race, and just about anything else that can be raced. If you can think it up, someone is probably racin it somewhere!!

DrB

Quick Reply