Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic > Dark Energy/Dark Matter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
IanHighfield

Dark Energy/Dark Matter

Anyone interested in this topic? or matters concerning the universe? I find it endlessly interesting to think about gravity and the Big Bang, expansion of the universe, all those things related to astronomy. (not astrology)

I like finding out why the earth has an atmosphere and the moon and many planets do not. (molten iron core sets up magnetic force-field that shields solar wind which would strip atmosphere if mag field not present.) Stuff like this.

Black holes and worm holes. Theories of space texture and shape. All this stuff tends to make you feel completely insignificant. For some reason this appeals to me.

Einstein and his thoughts, parallel universes, time-space continuum. Time travel. Endless possibilities of other earth-like planets, even a Pandora.

I never liked TV Star Trek or Star Wars but I like the subject of astronomy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like it all. Where do you want to start this here conversation?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
IanHighfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by funetical View Post
I like it all. Where do you want to start this here conversation?
Gravity. It's not yet understood fully. Some attribute it to the "weight" of space fabric pressing objects to larger objects and others like to think larger bodies (planets) have an almost magnetic property all their own and pull other things in.

The biggest problem I have discussing these topics is a lack of proper vocabulary or jargon as related to this subject. I can see things related to planets and space in my mind's eye but can not easily articulate them. I'm sure you can relate. This subject is best discussed with a chalk board handy to draw pictures and diagrams.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
funetical
Slowin it up.

Although one of the four forces that unify nature to our current understanding gravity could be an expression of the three other forces and the interaction on mass, and the matter that is there in contained.
If you really want to go into it ,Gravity has a minimal effect on the micro yet a significant effect on the macro. It leads back to the theory of gravity as opposed to a law because the three other forces have a definite effect on mass regardless of it's size.
It could be that gravity is only an explanation for planetary physics and not the explanation of the actions of the universe as a whole.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
IanHighfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by funetical View Post
Although one of the four forces that unify nature to our current understanding gravity could be an expression of the three other forces and the interaction on mass, and the matter that is there in contained.
If you really want to go into it ,Gravity has a minimal effect on the micro yet a significant effect on the macro. It leads back to the theory of gravity as opposed to a law because the three other forces have a definite effect on mass regardless of it's size.
It could be that gravity is only an explanation for planetary physics and not the explanation of the actions of the universe as a whole.
Okay, it looks like you could beat the crap out of me in a gravity fight. I'm a bit lost. Sorry to lead you into thinking I actually know something about this subject. How about the moon? I say it's not green cheese. (don't hurt me)

Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
funetical
Slowin it up.

I love moon.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
IanHighfield

fun, dark energy. The expansion of space and the need for energy to do so. Where does this energy come from? It did not all come from the Big Bang because the expansion is speeding up. Once a body is set in motion, like a bullet, it can not gain speed on its own. If you expand air on earth, you cool it. This is the opposite of dark energy. Energy is motion or heat. Yet space expands and needs energy to do so. Where does it come from and how is it manifest? This is beyond me.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
funetical
Slowin it up.

You me and most everyone else. This is the point of the Hadron Collider . The issue is whether or not the materials were present before the big bang. The Big bang isn't the beginning. The expansion of space isn't based on energy. Think of it like butter on toast energy being the butter and the toast being invisible. The further we can spread the butter the more toast we know is there, but that doesn't mean the toast was never there. It just means we couldn't see it.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
djcyberlegend
Group rookie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I remember being big on that when I was a kid, I was intrigued by the solar system and other celestial things. I don't really get into it today as much as when I was younger but I'm still a bit intrigued by it.

Newest ride: 2000 KHS Flite 300
MOD @ My main hangout
Follow me on TWITTER
Map My Ride
Facebook

"I have no karma - I had to get rid of my karma, because it runned over my dogma..."

Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
funetical
Slowin it up.

I'm still a kid at heart. I can't keep from wondering.

Tags
dark energy, dark matter, universe, astronomy

Quick Reply