Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic > New bike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
neilloveridge

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

New bike

Hi

Can anyone advise me. I brought a vittess road bike last year for £90.00 of eBay and enjoyed riding in the summer.

I'm now looking at upgrading and purchasing the trek 1.5 as a road bike. Just a general question.....is this is a decent bike that will last for a good few years...??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 501 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 292

The 1.5 isn't a bad bike. I have no experience with it, but it's definitely better than your run of the mill Walmart/department store type bikes. I would call it an entry level road bike. And yes, it will last you. But my advise when buying a bike... spend more than you want to. You will only regret not getting the bike you "almost" could have had.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

What are your cycling goals? Short and long term.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 956 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 14

check craigslist (if you guys have that over there) or ebay. i got both my bikes used and have not spent more the 250 total.

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3509 Times on 2039 Posts
Likes Given: 3443

Quote:
Originally Posted by synack View Post
What are your cycling goals? Short and long term.
This is one of the best questions you can ask yourself when contemplating a bike purchase. No need to get too much or too little bike. On our classifieds, I see a lot of carbon road bikes and long travel mountain bikes selling at a huge discount, with the lamentation "I didn't ride it as much as I thought I would".

But don't go too cheap either. If you're buying for the long term, mid-level components are your best bet.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
tanglewood2son

Bikes

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero3one
The 1.5 isn't a bad bike. I have no experience with it, but it's definitely better than your run of the mill Walmart/department store type bikes. I would call it an entry level road bike. And yes, it will last you. But my advise when buying a bike... spend more than you want to. You will only regret not getting the bike you "almost" could have had.
I'd agree with this - loads of time I've bought stuff and regretted not buying slightly dearer ! - I think the thing to bear in mind is "you get what you pay for " if you want a bargain basement bike - then fair play ! - but it'll weight the weight of a small elephant and it'll be fair cheap n nasty - however, now is the best time to buy a bike - they're selling last years models off to make way for this years new models - check out sites like chain reaction or wiggle and you'll see that some ate upto 40% off !?
No real need to break the bank there and still get the bike of your dreams.....

Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
John_V

Bikes

Liked 4184 Times on 2207 Posts
Likes Given: 5328

Someone beat me out on posting about checking last years models, but that is a good place to start. You can get some really good deals there if the bike they have is in your size. My riding buddy, Frank, just picked up a 2012 Trek Madone 5.2 (50 cm) with full Ultegra for $2,800. That bike normally retails for around $3,500. Both of us are vertically challenged (around 5'6") and if you are in that category, you may luck out on finding a small frame bike that they can't get rid of and are willing to make you a good offer.

There are several bike shops in my area that still have some 2011 models in stock that they are wanting to get rid of at 45-50% off MSRP. You may want to look into seeing if any of the shops in your area still have some 2011 stock left. Of course, if the bike doesn't fit you properly, the ride experience will totally suck, even if the bike is free.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

rynoman03 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
tanglewood2son

Bikes

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V
Someone beat me out on posting about checking last years models, but that is a good place to start. You can get some really good deals there if the bike they have is in your size. My riding buddy, Frank, just picked up a 2012 Trek Madone 5.2 (50 cm) with full Ultegra for $2,800. That bike normally retails for around $3,500. Both of us are vertically challenged (around 5'6") and if you are in that category, you may luck out on finding a small frame bike that they can't get rid of and are willing to make you a good offer.

There are several bike shops in my area that still have some 2011 models in stock that they are wanting to get rid of at 45-50% off MSRP. You may want to look into seeing if any of the shops in your area still have some 2011 stock left. Of course, if the bike doesn't fit you properly, the ride experience will totally suck, even if the bike is free.
Word!!!
Absolutely bang on!
:-)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Can't add too much to the advice you have already gotten, but I can say "Welcome to the forum"!!

Quick Reply