You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic >

The rant thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
ironlungs

Liked 4176 Times on 2029 Posts
Likes Given: 6776

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenewb View Post
Does anybody else's town spray black top into pot holes then cover it with a fine gravel with a machine that sprays the gravel? It does nothing and the stuff is a big pot hole again in a matter of days. It does NOTHING! My city spends hundreds of thousands on remodeling the cop shop but my roads are #$&@!!!!!! Man it chaps my butt. Ugh!!!! It's a never ending game during the warmer months. It gets all over everything does not work and UGH!!!!!

Rant over.

Crimany
Yeah, I have to say, there is a section of a county that I don't often ride, simply for that reason! The county is so poor they fill pot holes like that, and the roads are crumbling so bad, it's like riding a road bike on a mountain trail!
There's a word I haven't heard in ages, esp not from this area: "criminy". Sometimes we use "criminently"... means the same....lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #22
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12048 Times on 6409 Posts
Likes Given: 9804

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlungs View Post
Yeah, I have to say, there is a section of a county that I don't often ride, simply for that reason! The county is so poor they fill pot holes like that, and the roads are crumbling so bad, it's like riding a road bike on a mountain trail!
There's a word I haven't heard in ages, esp not from this area: "criminy". Sometimes we use "criminently"... means the same....lol
lol, I thought it was a typo

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel
ironlungs Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #23
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2147 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

Hmmmmmmm. Weird. I got nothin..........
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #24
Retmuter

Liked 204 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The road 'repairs' described are supposedly temporary, at least according to the local TV news. Just so many of them it's hard for anybody to keep up. In many cases it has to do with cities/towns decided 100 or so years ago they needed roads paved for these new fangled horseless carriages. Down when the paving. They didn't take the time to dig the dirt up and lay a proper substrate. It's my understanding this involves rocks, then gravel, then finer gravel, not exactly sure. The idea is drainage to keep the paving material from doing, well, what it does when water collects underneath it. Bigger problem in climes where temps go below freezing.
My answer is to just ride a bicycle. I can avoid them potholes. I run 26X1.7's so when I do hit one I just curse, no harm done.
newleaf150 Likes This 

Tags
rant, gripe

Quick Reply