You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic >

The rant thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #41
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12629 Times on 6716 Posts
Likes Given: 10367

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
Complaining has never been my thing. No one likes a whiner. Here it goes regardless.

Bike Fit:
People pay a crap ton for it. It is in fact single most important thing about cycling. Why do I have an issue with it then ?
Because of the bs surrounding it. The universal formulas. The strings and plum bobs of it. The computer calculators and all the rest.
First things first there is no way to fit someone without feedback from them. This is because extreme performance and extreme comfort are exclusive from one another. Look at a pro roadie's bike
The rant thread - Off Topic There is no way having a saddle that far above your bars is a happy comfort zone for most any recreational rider. That right there is a speed and performance fit. Sure a pro spending 5-8 hours 5 days a week on their bike can get used to it but it is not comfortable.
My point is the "pro fitter" might not know where your saddle or stem should be. They need feedback. The rider needs know how to give that feedback and a computer program does not have all the comfort answers. A good fit is a starting place but a starting place only.
The last part of my rant is about the rider. You have to put time in the saddle or no fit/no saddle will be comfortable. My biggest gripe is when I set up a newbie and they head out and after their first 30 mile ride come back and want a softer saddle. Ugh, your arse hurts because your bike is not your sofa, which was the only place you used to ever put your bum, not because your saddle is bad.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/saddle-height-why-you-need-to-get-it-right-25379?utm_content=manual&utm_campaign=socialflow&u tm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=cycl ingweekly

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #42
lectrichead

Bikes

Liked 686 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 628

I believe that its people's freedom whether to wear or not wear a helmet but it makes me cringe when I see anyone without one.

I want to run them down, stop them, shake them by the shoulder, and say 'get yourself a frigging helmet!' It doesn't take much reading accident statistics or bike riding to start to realize how vulnerable you are.

I had a concussion once, it's disturbing to think how easily it can come about and what happens afterwards even with a relatively mild one.

Just yesterday had a close-call, and thought about this thread afterward while riding home, was glad that I was keeping an eye out and had a helmet, as it could have easily went a different way (a dickwad trying to pass a fast tractor towing equipment had plenty of time to see me but continued in my lane anyway, I got off the side as quickly as possible despite the shoulder roughness and the guy swerved over toward the tractor at the last second).

Bicycling - Our Chains Set Us Free.

“Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.” ~ H.G. Wells
ben Likes This 
Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #43
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2531 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

+ buzzilion for reflexes and correct use of adjective describing the interloper....
Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #44
cwtch

Liked 3132 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a great starting point and really good info for anyone pondering bike fit.
People Like This 
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #45
ben

Bikes

Liked 1178 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 2206

if I am on a "fixed" income then why am I broke?

lectrichead Likes This 

Tags
rant, gripe

Quick Reply