Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic > The United States Treasury wants to send me $7000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
vitapimp

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The United States Treasury wants to send me $7000

I just received a call from this guy, Robert, telling me I was being awarded a $7000 grant that I could use for anything. He knew my name and home address. He asked how long I've lived here and what was my DOB to verify I am over 18. He said he could have the funds ready for me to use within a few hours if I gave him a credit card number, a savings or checking account number (hello, red flag...SCAM).

When I wouldn't give him that info and told him a treasury check will be fine he explained that it was not a secure process to send me a check. He advised me that the check might get lost and an account number would be better. I informed he it was not secure for me to give my account info to some stranger who says he works for the US Treasury. He proceeded to tell me he was not lying and was pretty insistent I give him my account info to speed the process of me receiving my "movie check". I told him if he worked for the US Treasury department then he had access to plenty of checks and that it would be fine.

He said I just needed to call 202-684-6582 and give them my confirmation number RO171 to get my check processed. He called on my home phone so as I was talking to him I called the number from my work phone (VOIP). There was no answer, it went straight to busy. So, I started to ask him a bunch of questions about the program, how long has it been in service, how do they decide who wins, where is he calling me from, why can't he send it to me, why do I have to call someone, etc... he had all the right info. Well, at least it sounded right.

I googled the number and it seems a lot of people have been reporting it as a scam with the same MO. Needless to say, I will probably never see my grant money because my check will be lost in the mail or one of you butt heads will call first and use my confirmation number to claim my prize.

Before we hung up I asked him if he was related to the prince of Nigeria. He asked why I would ask such a question. I told him he had a heavy accent and he was offering me money.

In short, the prince of Nigeria, aka "Robert", called me pretending to work for the US Treasury offering me $7000 of my own tax money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3510 Times on 2039 Posts
Likes Given: 3443

Look, if you want the government to give you money, you'll need to go start a business, run it like a moron, and then when it is on the brink of failure, the government will bail you out so you can continue to fail for a bit longer.

They don't mail checks to smart people, ok?

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I get a tax return check.... I see what your saying. If they have all your info and there the government it seems it would be no issue in accessing your accounts or reissuing a check. You should have pointed that out to him.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1097 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
Look, if you want the government to give you money, you'll need to go start a business, run it like a moron, and then when it is on the brink of failure, the government will bail you out so you can continue to fail for a bit longer.
Ain't modern capitalism grand?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 2344 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 732

Arn't us old people getting a check from the gov for $250 each, because there was no cola this year. That will put a set of tires on the bike.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

You let the scumbag off too easy.

Welcome to the 419 Eater

Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Mozzery

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just got a call personally and if they call me back I am going to tell them to call in the future to 717-787-3391 which is the number for the attorney general of PA

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzery View Post
I just got a call personally and if they call me back I am going to tell them to call in the future to 717-787-3391 which is the number for the attorney general of PA
I hope they do it!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
ReallyY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I just received a call from "Michael Stevenson" , he knew all of my information including my age and address, he informed me that I was eligible to receive $7000, with a grant confirmation number of 4265, because I am a good citizen than pays bills on time and has never been incarcerated. All I had to do was call (206) 855-3137 and give my grant confirmation number to the Finance department and they would confirm it to be me and send me my cashier’s check; which is how I told Michael I wanted to receive my money.
I asked Michael where he was calling me from and he said 200 Independence Avenue H H H 2nd Floor, SW Washington DC 20201.
So I hung up with Michael, and called! I spoke with a female, I gave her the confirmation number and she confirmed my address, phone number and age, she then asked how I wanted to receive my money, and I told her a cashier’s check. She said that they would mail the money to me within four hours all I needed to do was give her my credit card information to activate the grant confirmation number. They would take $200 off of my credit card for 20 minutes, and then put the $200 back.
Really?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
biglou630

Liked 1838 Times on 775 Posts

I used to work in a bank and I can't tell you how many people fall for stuff like this.

The other popular one is the Lottery Winner of $50,000, but all you have to do is send a blank check for us to create a direct deposit with. And we will pre-authorize the account so make sure you have at least $2,000 in the account.

I bet a customer once a month fell for that scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

Riding is not about the destination or how fast you arrived, by the journey to get there!

elviejo Likes This 

Quick Reply