You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic >

What do you listen to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
TwoWheeledNoob

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do you listen to?

Recently been listening to A LOT of podcast (Crime in Sports, Small Town Murder, Is This Adulting?, etc). I am looking for new podcast biking related and new music.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4867 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 14134

For cycling related podcasts, I've had good luck with The Pedalshift Project. Also available for download from iTunes, if that's your thing. I haven't yet worked my way into his current 'casts, but after 50+ episodes, I still enjoy the host's perspective.

Host Tim Mooney is an avid cycle tourist, with heavy focus on the Gap and C&O Towpath trails on the East Coast, the Pacific Highway route on the West. Also touring on a Brompton folding bicycle. He is good about relating the ups and downs of a given experience without seeming to gloss over the less enjoyable parts. He also collaborates with some other cycling podcasters and interviews the occasional touring cyclist.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #3
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Pretty much no one likes the music I enjoy, so I'll stay out of that discussion .

Old 09-09-2017, 02:34 AM   #4
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 1989 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 814

I end up listening to the wind

And now there is one
Lightening phantom (fast, also)

Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf150 View Post
Pretty much no one likes the music I enjoy, so I'll stay out of that discussion .
Such as?

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

IMG_0063.jpg

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 09-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Liked 538 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 370

If your into turbo trainers/indoor trainers

Sufferfest
Zwift
Trainer road

All do podcast

Old 09-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Such as?
Though I still listen to a variety of popular music, I mostly do so now when in others' company. My own tastes in the past few years have taken a pretty hard turn from the old school metal and classic rock I grew up enjoying.

In terms of the more accessible, I love ascending to the fury of 'Five Finger Death Punch'. Their drummer's use of a double bass allows for the setting of crazy fast beats backed by distorted, driving guitars and topped by raw fury, which pours from the lead singer almost every time he opens his mouth. The end result might be thought of as a riot set to music.

It's the kind of thing you either love or hate. Many find the lyrics quite depressing, and they're decidedly NSFW. I had to stop listening when on the MUP because their music inspires me to ride faster than I should. For long ascents, punishing wet gravel sections, and even simple long distance slogs, they are wonderful to help keep the cranks spinning.

I don't listen as much as I once did, but still dearly love Iron Maiden, who continue to release great material right into the modern day. Sadly unlike any of my other long-time favorite artists. Some, like DIO, have an excuse (lead singer died). Others, like Metallica, do not.

From there, things get dark and weird fast: I love selected artists in a genre range going from 'gangsta rap' to 'horrorcore', the latter being a kind of consciously over the top, semi-satirical version of the former. Definitely not for kids or polite company, and only safe for work if you're looking to get fired . Think extremely violent and deliberately inflammatory.

Examples include the related groups 'Army of the Pharaohs' and 'Jedi Mind Tricks'. Also solo work from Vinnie Paz, 'Celph Titled', and 'Apathy'. On a similar vein, 'The Snowgoons' and 'The Demigodz'. Offerings tend toward raw, gritty and violent lyrics backed by more complex beats, counter beats, and melodies than I associate with most popular rap. Definite heavy metal influences. There's something here to offend most anyone, many in a variety of ways. The material's appeal is hard to characterize without looking deeper.

Then there's the 'Insane Clown Posse' or ICP, for a very different sound and perspective on similar themes. I'm mainly into their earlier work these days, pre- Bizaar Bizzar, though some of their later albums have their moments. Their material is almost uniformly horrible, violent and degenerate on the surface. There's more to it than that, but it can be hard to separate theme from hyperbole. They are a love them or hate them proposition, and most hate. Some even have excellent reasons .

Moving more toward the Gangsta end of the spectrum, I find Tupac Shakur to be an extraordinary lyricist with much to offer those able to look past the more socially objectionable themes in which much of his work is cloaked. Ice Cube's solo work is another favorite, along with a variety of others including 'Immortal Technique' and 'Paris'.

On the more nerdy and religiously combative side, I enjoy Greydon Square, who raps about everything from hardcore atheism to astrophysics and growing up as a kid in a group home. For any who are interested, his early work is much more atheist oriented, while the later 'Kardashev Scale Trilogy' albums incorporate a lot more material relating to physics, the future of mankind, and more. Though obviously popular with many atheists, he also has a following amongst those into physics, science fiction, and gaming.

On a more accessible and less gangsta note, the CunninLynguists combine whimsy with social consciousness and melodious beats to produce some really enjoyable material. Similarly, 'ˇMayday!', 'Murs', and 'Run the Jewels' offer good beats with lyrics running more to the socially conscious, less to the gangsta. 'Curren$y' is always great for smooth beats with a 'gangsta-glam' feel that's more about high living and hedonism than shooting and robbery.

'Gangstagrass' is notable for combing rap with traditional bluegrass music, to the surprising benefit of both. They are one of few I'd recommend blindly for those into either hip-hop or bluegrass. The combination of both style and theme really is compelling. Less offensive in terms of language and themes, but still not for everyone.

Any and all of the artists above can be considered NSFW for varying degrees of profanity, references to violence, gang activity, drug use, and sometimes worse. I do not condone, advocate, or participate in violence, racism, misogyny, gang activity, or many to nearly all of the other activities referenced by the artists I enjoy. I recognize that most are far from the norm and try not to inflict them on any who aren't aware of what they're getting into in advance.

Thus when company is about, things are different: classic rock, 70's favorites, maybe some Jimmy Buffett and/or a bit of heavy metal, depending on the company. Mrs. Newleaf likes a lot of pop and electronica, so that's likely, too. I don't mind most, really like some of that music, but it's not what I listen to when I ride. If I'm in the saddle, I'm most likely enjoying or ignoring one of the artists above.

There's no question that there's a lot to dislike and even outright hate in the music I enjoy. That naturally goes double for the more gangsta stuff. There's more to it than those attributes, but seeing beyond them can be both tricky and depressing. It seems few care to try. I'm not sure why or how I ended up falling into liking it, but like it I do.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
maelochs
Old, fat, and slow

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I am so old, I remember when "music" was part of what recording artists produced. Back in the dinosaur days, when the "lead vocalist" was a "singer" and actually sang. Back when there wasn't half-a-d-zen producers (half of them middle-aged Nordic Ccaucasians) supplying beats for almost all pop music.

Dio .... was pretty good. Saw him with Sabbath in the "Heaven and Hell" tour? or whatever. Listened to some of his solo work before he replaced Ozzy (Man on the Magic Mountain? So long ago I cannot remember) and with ... Rainbow? sort of that 85% or 92% music ... like Robbin Trower, who was great, but just not 100 %.

There are Some (Very few) rappers I have heard who aren't going on about how fake bad-a$$ they are and how big their units are .... and some of the good ones really do how powerful messages. I cannot call what they produce "music" but some of it is definitely high quality ... and as with all music/recorded audio entertainment, 99.5 % of it is people trying to imitate or just make an easy buck, which makes it hard to find the ones who really have it.

Doesn't serve the same purpose as "music," for me ... but I cannot disrespect what they really good ones do (and they are mostly the "gangsta" rappers .... not the money/ego/pimp rappers, but the ones who really know what it is like to be hassled by cops for no reason, to live with poverty and oppression .... Unfortunately it seems their audience is often equally or even more willing to listen to bragging about abusing drugs and women and wasting money. Oh, well. Chacun a son gout.

Classic rock come sin a hundred genres ... I can tolerate if not enjoy most of them. Same for "electronica" but I like some of that too.

Iron Maiden never quite made it for me ... another 92 % band ... soooo close to being absolutely awesome but .... the difference between Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. All a matter of taste, of course.

I like it when people can offer up stuff (as you did) with a little explanation which isn't record-company or trade-magazine hype ... gives me avenues to explore.
newleaf150 Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
John_V

Bikes

Liked 9678 Times on 4725 Posts
Likes Given: 17153

I rotate between DooWop, Smooth Jazz, Classic Rock and Blues. Love me some Blues. However, I never listen to music if I'm riding with anyone. Only when riding solo and only when in the park.

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Quick Reply