Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Off Topic > When is enough enough....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
tanglewood2son

Bikes

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

When is enough enough....?

Read an article/blog a while ago - a fellow was writing about his bike collection....and his admiration for his friends bikes...and I'm kinda feeling where he was going in his text at the moment as I await the arrival of my third bike - a felt....and I'm wondering if its an isolated point of view that makes us crave for more than what we actually require?...
Because in all honesty I/we can only ride one bike at a time and so the necessity to own more than this is in all honesty 'foolish' and yet, something inside is telling me no!...
Am I viewing this purely in the context of it being like 'another jersey to wear' its hard to say - nevertheless the bikes on its way

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 501 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I have 2 right now, a mountain and road bike. I would love to have a third, a TT bike.

Farrowlane Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Farrowlane

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Seems perfectly normal to me...

I own four bikes. Two road bikes, a tourer, and a hybrid. I will soon be buying a MTB.

As long as we're not gambling, drinking, and drugging, I'd say we're doing quite well.

Besides, I do see a Jamis Xenith Comp road bike and a Mercier Kilo TT Stripper Chrome Edition single speed in my not too distant future, as well...

PS.

Have you ever heard of the N+1 Rule?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
John_V

Bikes

Liked 3924 Times on 2108 Posts
Likes Given: 4723

With much regret, I had to sell my Giant Defy 2 road bike after I bought my Colnago. At the time, there was no room in the shed to store it and no room in my daughter's garage. I kept the hybrid for neighborhood rides and ridding with friends who don't have road bikes. If I would have had the room, I would still have the Defy. I now wish we would have had the house built with a garage instead of a carport.

I think that if you have the room to store them and you can afford them, have as many as you want.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

Farrowlane Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Merlincustom

Liked 874 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 231

See Rule #12.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BeginnerCycling

Bikes

Liked 145 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I have 5 -- geared mountain, SS mountain, commuter (dynamo hub lights, etc.), road bike, and folding bike. Each has it's own purpose, some get used more than others, all are fun in their own way.

I get a bit of flack about it, but hey, all combined they are still cheaper than a golf club membership, a jet ski, a bass boat, a hot rod or luxury car, or even some high end gaming computers. Good, wholesome, healthy fun. I may just need another!

I ride at night -- here are my tips for Night Cycling
My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Farrowlane Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
newleaf150

Liked 2152 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 5227

Why own multiple bikes? For the same reason many choose to own multiple cars: they're needed! Different jobs require different design features. One would, for example, be a fool to take a Ferrari off-roading, or a rock-crawling 4x4 to a street race. Square peg. Round hole. The right answer is not to force the one into the other.

Different types of bikes serve different needs, just as different types of car do the same in the automotive world.

It's hard to argue for someone to take a CF street racing Wunderbike out single-tracking in the dirt. Barring a god of cycling with something to prove, such an act cannot end well.

Ditto on using a regular MTB for trails which call for a full DH rig. Similarly, for loaded touring, you don't want a racing bike any more than you want a heavy, low-geared tourer for your racing steed. Again, even though they look very similar, we're back to the square peg/round hole thing.

It's been my experience that the best results are most commonly obtained by using the tool called for by the job at hand. Would you use a hammer in place of a tape measure? Forcing the wrong tool to suffice can work, but also has a way of resulting in needless frustration and equipment damage.

Best to use the right tool for the job. If that just happens to mean a need for more than 1 bike...well...happy coincidence!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3451 Times on 2016 Posts
Likes Given: 3424

Ok, I will try to add things up. There are three 29ers in my shed, but one is for my brother-in-law. I have a completely rigid MTB for commuting, and another that is still in the project stages. Another incomplete road bike, one complete 24 BMX, one ss/fg, and as soon as I am done posting this afternoon, I will try to finish my Nexus 8 flat bar road bike. There are two other MTBs that belong to my wife and daughter., two more BMX bikes, a beach cruiser, plus a Footbike. I think that's all that is floating around right now.

Probably enough. I sold 6-7 bikes in the last few months.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.
Farrowlane Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
davereo
Bikes

Liked 3282 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 3285

I am not ready to face my addiction. I still need time to come to grips with my problem before I can confess openly.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

People Like This 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
Farrowlane

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Tanglewood2son,

I think you've come to the wrong place for a truly objective critique.

Now, if it's bike acquisition support you need, then we'll always be here for ya!

We're totally in support of the N+1 Rule!

Quick Reply