Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Road Bikes > Bar ends for commuting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
imrob

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Bar ends for commuting

i recenlty got a giant escape 2 2012 for 350 new from the store. i used to ride a huffy for 5 year 3 size to small. i ran into this guy passing his pace line going to working carring my stuff with my back pack and all. He happend to be a bike store owner and ment me at the gas staiton after i got out with my morning coffee. He sold me the gaint i love this bike never been faster wanted a road but dont have the money. It got steel fork so i picked up some flat bars carbon fiber for it, the pro xcr with the renforced end for bar end. I use to have barends on the huffy but sold it to another guy at work. Now i got some opiton i was looking to get areo bars on this flat bar but i see they might not work and the sale guy at a closer store told me a needed flat bars for areo should i buy areo bar or just got some barends i am lookking for speed on my 12 mile ride one way my average time in traffic is 35 minutes to work. and i do hit some traffic, i also got some nice flats and some big hills to climb. i dont sisy my way to work at all ride hard and fast when i can. looking for the best option to go with and dont want to add a lot of wait that why i did not get some treeking bars man the are heavey. i tred looking up in many ares but could not find my answers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3239 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 3325

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the new bike.

I would not mount an aero bar on a flat bar road bike. That's not going to make you any faster in traffic, only less safe.

omnivox42 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
giantcfr1
Kyoto Member
Bikes

Liked 49 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You bought a Shimano Pro XCR Carbon Bar??
For gosh sakes, don't put clip-on aero bars on that, it is too dangerous. You shouldn't bolt bars onto carbon.
For increased speed (other than improving your fitness), maybe look at tire options, or your saddle to bar drop if your back is flexible enough. If you can increase your drop a little it may put you into a little more of an aero position.
Can you post a pic of your bike side on?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
imrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
You bought a Shimano Pro XCR Carbon Bar??
For gosh sakes, don't put clip-on aero bars on that, it is too dangerous. You shouldn't bolt bars onto carbon.
For increased speed (other than improving your fitness), maybe look at tire options, or your saddle to bar drop if your back is flexible enough. If you can increase your drop a little it may put you into a little more of an aero position.
Can you post a pic of your bike side on?
Yes I can try and thanks for the reply. I use to ride a heavy bike so I want this to be a light as possible and I got those bar for 58 bucks so I figured why not
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Farrowlane

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Welcome Imrob!

I say, sell the aerobars and don't try to change anything! Your Giant Escape will almost always be more dependent upon your own muscle power, than any upgrade or accessory you could ever install.

If you want your bike to be lighter, then you should personally lose some weight and just make your travel package lighter.

Therefore, lift weights, do calisthenics, and cycle more often! This will make you stronger, while you'll lose more weight.

1 Stronger cyclist + 1 Lighter cyclist = 1 Faster cyclist

Last edited by Farrowlane; 12-06-2012 at 04:56 PM.
kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
imrob

yes will losing weight not an option no more> i am only 180 with a medium build and a six pack so the working out thing been good and i ride the heck out of this bike. just looking for option but yea i under stand what your saying and thanks again

Quick Reply