Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Road Bikes > Clip pedal trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Ross14

Liked 373 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Clip pedal trouble

Well first of all I'm 14 and recently joined a road racing team. My coach supplied me with a road bike to use before I'm getting mine this Christmas and it has out of date Looks on it. On all of the practice rides there has been this one road that my push off is just not good so I can't clip in and I have to walk it and get left behind. I know that when I get Speedplays it will be much easier but now I have to deal with these. Any tips or advise?

- 2011 Cannondale Caad 10 -
-2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3482 Times on 2029 Posts
Likes Given: 3433

Practice.

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
salvage_bikes
Banned

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Looks are still highly prized by a large segment of the road cycling population. I had some when I was a teen. I eventually discarded them after a couple slip-and-fall accidents while duck-walking, and the horror of trying to re-pin the shoes after coming un-pinned while riding.

My advice is deal with the pedals by some tutoring and practice, and work on your other techniques to catch up, like track standing, climbing aggressively or something else to keep you from falling off the back.
And when you get some money, buy SPD shoes, and double sided SPD pedals (Shimano, Ritchey, Nashbar, etc). They are easy to obtain, common, and give you a quick take off.

What are the other riders using? Have you tried the Speedplays?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
salvage_bikes
Banned

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 162

re: "clip pedals"
Ross 14, do you mean these? http://www.bikewhenever.com/bike_features/toe_clip_on_pedal.jpg
Toe clips and straps

Or these?
http://famefxd.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/clipless_pedal.jpg

Look clipless pedal (there are also Shimano built duplicates, and some made by other brands).

Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Ross14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvage_bikes
re: "clip pedals"
Ross 14, do you mean these? http://www.bikewhenever.com/bike_features/toe_clip_on_pedal.jpg
Toe clips and straps

Or these?
http://famefxd.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/clipless_pedal.jpg

Look clipless pedal (there are also Shimano built duplicates, and some made by other brands).
The second one, I know that they are Looks.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Ross14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvage_bikes
Looks are still highly prized by a large segment of the road cycling population. I had some when I was a teen. I eventually discarded them after a couple slip-and-fall accidents while duck-walking, and the horror of trying to re-pin the shoes after coming un-pinned while riding.

My advice is deal with the pedals by some tutoring and practice, and work on your other techniques to catch up, like track standing, climbing aggressively or something else to keep you from falling off the back.
And when you get some money, buy SPD shoes, and double sided SPD pedals (Shimano, Ritchey, Nashbar, etc). They are easy to obtain, common, and give you a quick take off.

What are the other riders using? Have you tried the Speedplays?
The standard of me team is to have Speedplays but my coach has me on these old Looks before I get some for Christmas.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
John_V

Bikes

Liked 4129 Times on 2187 Posts
Likes Given: 5204

If you are not forced into buying Speedplay pedals, I would look around and do some research on which pedal/shoe combination is better for you and not for the coach. Speedplay pedals are as good as any other system, since the main objective of all of them is to keep the foot connected to the pedal. For road pedals, Speedplays are nice because they offer double sided entry, but they are high maintenance compared to other retention systems. As mentioned, the SPD system also allows for double sided entry, but are considered MTB pedals. The Crank Brothers Egg Beaters also offer double sided entry. I don't understand why a coach would not offer alternatives to pedals because it would be like him saying that everyone has to ride on the same brand of saddle.

HCFR Cycling Team

Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

http://www.pedalmybike.com/userTrack...rackie4389.jpg

salvage_bikes Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

A couple of points here that I think need to be addressed. I use the current version of the Look Keo pedals and they have been great.

But here is one problem, you indicated that the bike is older? Are the Look pedals the older style? Because there was a slight pedal change between the old and new. The new cleats will fit the old pedals but they will be a bit sloppy, and won't hold as well due to the newer Look's being smaller.

Secondly, you indicate that you are pushing off? So you are stopped on this hill? Please make sure you gear into an easy gear when you are trying to clip in uphill. Even if it means more of spin than the current climbing gear you were in to get up the hill. It will make your life a lot easier. Practice somewhere at home with a slight incline to get the hang of things.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Last edited by synack; 12-04-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Pedal change, not cleat change. Though, they both may have changed.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Ross14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V
If you are not forced into buying Speedplay pedals, I would look around and do some research on which pedal/shoe combination is better for you and not for the coach. Speedplay pedals are as good as any other system, since the main objective of all of them is to keep the foot connected to the pedal. For road pedals, Speedplays are nice because they offer double sided entry, but they are high maintenance compared to other retention systems. As mentioned, the SPD system also allows for double sided entry, but are considered MTB pedals. The Crank Brothers Egg Beaters also offer double sided entry. I don't understand why a coach would not offer alternatives to pedals because it would be like him saying that everyone has to ride on the same brand of saddle.
I honestly have no problem getting Speedpays. My coaches reason is that if something goes wrong on a race day with the pedals we can simply switch out with a teammate that's not in the race.

Industry_Hack Likes This 

Quick Reply