You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking >

Dropper Post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
Hazy

Liked 1616 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

Dropper Post

Instead of veering off the subject in Rola's light thread,I'm starting a new one.

To drop or not to drop. That's the question!

I have been intrigued by the dropper post for awhile, but after ramming my left rib cage into the back of my seat on a ride in gnarly downhill stuff a while back it is becoming more than just an afterthought.

For the most part I can maneuver behind my seat through sketchy stuff. Sometimes, especially when I'm trying to move faster than normal, that maneuver gets risky ( i.e. Situation above). After having taken the time to get my multi tool out and manually lowering my seat, I have seen some vast improvement on both my ability to maneuver through tough terrain and my confidence to do so. Hence putting the dropper post on my list for bike improvements.

Any recommendations/warnings on makes and models? Please give reasons for such.

Thanks!

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

I can't justify for myself based on those I know who have them. High cost and constant mechanical issues with failure rates being very high within a year. Example, we did a night ride last Friday and Andy had a demo bike ( a fine carbon Stumpjumper) with a dropper and the seat dropped twice during the ride that I am aware of. I can't give you numbers or percentages but they seem to see a fairly high failure rate in their shop. Can't even give you brands either.

Robert @ Red Barn who builds my wheels uses and like droppers as well but admits to high failure rates as well. I've asked him in the past about them and if I ever did which brand to go with and in his opinion some are better quality than others but most will meet there demise sooner than later.

I'm to poor to invest in something like that personally. Maybe if I was serious about mtb and raced I could try a wee bit harder to justify them but meh...

Now somebody like Stumpy will come behind this and completely justify why you should invest.

Let us know which one ya get

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

$480.00 just aint NEVER gonna happen...
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/components/seat-post-seat-pin/product/review-thomson-elite-covert-dropper-seatpost-15-49167/

There's just no way, this is another cost prohibitive over priced product the cycling industry has sold us on that we NEED to have.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/dropper-seatposts?CMP_ID=PD_GOc014BR&CSPID=0916&utm_source =Google&utm_medium=PSBR&k_clickid=372d5c7f-a93b-44fb-8068-6cee1ee5c8de&gclid=CjwKEAjwruPNBRCKkbL9zqKcrHwSJAB GDVyIl80mCypUnzdBOlmHkjeBIhMiagOR2cK84rw1fuGeGhoCF iLw_wcB

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4867 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 14134

My boss at my first job back in the 80's was an avid mountain biker, and a very tall man. He used something called a Hite-Rite for on-the-fly saddle height adjustment. I don't think they're still in production, but it looks like fleabay has some NOS examples.

They are not as visually attractive as a dropper post, but widely compatible and robust. They're also a bit more reasonably priced .
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
stumpy29

Liked 205 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
I can't justify for myself based on those I know who have them. High cost and constant mechanical issues with failure rates being very high within a year. Example, we did a night ride last Friday and Andy had a demo bike ( a fine carbon Stumpjumper) with a dropper and the seat dropped twice during the ride that I am aware of. I can't give you numbers or percentages but they seem to see a fairly high failure rate in their shop. Can't even give you brands either.

Robert @ Red Barn who builds my wheels uses and like droppers as well but admits to high failure rates as well. I've asked him in the past about them and if I ever did which brand to go with and in his opinion some are better quality than others but most will meet there demise sooner than later.

I'm to poor to invest in something like that personally. Maybe if I was serious about mtb and raced I could try a wee bit harder to justify them but meh...

Now somebody like Stumpy will come behind this and completely justify why you should invest.

Let us know which one ya get

Droppers are awesome. Seat up high for pedaling and down low for the gnar making it easier to man handle the bike around. I've got a Thomson dropper a ks lev a fox transfer and a pnw

Quick Reply